Enjoy the silence 04: the worst video yet?

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Enjoy the silence 04: the worst video yet?

Postby Stefanos » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:13 pm

I must admit I did not expect such a poor video for the re-released version of Enjoy the silence. Depeche Mode are credited with fantastic lyrics and thoughtful videos. In my opinion the latest video falls very short from being thoughtful: it looks as if it was done overnight by computer artists who have never heard the song nor of the band. Shame...
Stefanos

Postby Beatmaster101 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:31 pm

Worst video ever? So it's worse than Meaning of Love, Love in Itself, Leave in Silence, Get the Balance Right or Master and Servant for instance?

I don't think so. The video suits the specific single very well.

Agent Orange
Beatmaster101

Postby Personal Gina » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:06 pm

I don't think it's that bad. I quite like the animation although I think that it would been better if the TV screens showed some of the original ETS video...
a vicious appetite visits me each night...
Personal Gina
DMMB Survivor

Postby RobW » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:14 pm

Its shite and i'm not gonna make any excuses.Have Depeche had any involvement in this projecxt at all or are they just gonna accept the royalty cheques that come their way ?.I was hoping for a brilliant video and what did we get.....crap.

Do they really think that the Mike Shinoda mix or this video are gonna get radio play and airtime at all, if they do then they really are deluding themselves.

Why didnt they release the Ricahrd X mix which is far superiour [forgive my spelling].
RobW

Postby andy dre » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:44 pm

I have watched the online video but I think you have to watch the video in all its analogue glory on your telly before getting the feel of it. I'm watching UK satelite music channels waiting, waiting but nothing so far. I'm in agreement with Agent Orange. Its not bad and considering its a remix single, I prefer this than a rework of the original video, or god forbid, they release that one on top of the Twin Towers. The rose thing at the end of the video is quite sentimental. Growing, expanding, Depeche Mode entwined in the fabric of todays society. I would have been disapointed if they had made it an all cartoon story with no association with the band. Speaking of which, I understand why there is no shots of Alan in the video, its nearly 15 years on and even though he was probably played a big part in the sound of the original single (he came up with the idea to speed it up and add a dance beat etc), its probably right that his image should not be used if this single which is to be marketed to the new kids of today. I wonder if Alan gets a cut of the new single.
andy dre
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby Atomic Moog » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:55 pm

Beatmaster101 wrote:The video suits the specific single very well.

Yep. Too bad the remix is boring though.

I don't like the video either, but I do like the Violator rose in the end. Actually, it could be called as the worst DM video; at least Meaning of Love, Get the Balance Right, Master & Servant and the lot have some spirit in them.
Atomic Moog

Postby Beatmaster101 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:01 pm

Atomic Moog wrote:at least Meaning of Love, Get the Balance Right, Master & Servant and the lot have some spirit in them.

Spirit or not, they suck.
Beatmaster101

Postby what_ever » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:10 pm

[quote="Atomic Moog"]Yep. Too bad the remix is boring though.
I don't like the video either, but I do like the Violator rose in the end. Actually, it could be called as the worst DM video]
So it seems "fan" REALLYmeans "fanatic" :icon_bigg Sorry, i really can't see some spirit when i see the "Leave In Silence" video. I like to think i've got some objectivity ( i'm 32 and i like DM since 1984 but i don't live in the past ).
I really don't like Linkin Park but i don't think the Shinoda remix is an abomination. It's not that bad but my favourite "ETS" 2004 mixes are the Timo Maas and the Richard X ones.
what_ever

Ha ha ha

Postby mlogan@banksfirm.com » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:32 pm

You guys make me laugh. The above posts are funny. As for me, I have not seen the video. Still waiting for it to air on MTV or VH1.:icon_bigg
mlogan@banksfirm.com

Postby timaroosky » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:33 pm

I don't see the point in shooting another video for a song that was only remixed. I'll agree that it's not a great video (along with most animated video's), and it has nothing to do with the song, but then again, how many videos go along with the song? Just about every video that acts out the song line for line usually sucks anyway. I see it for what it is: a concept. Just like most of DM's video's, except it's animated. Did the video for "Home" have anything to do with the song? No. "Only When I Lose Myself?" No. The list goes on...

Personally, I think that fans are lucky that there is a video at all. And for those that hate it, don't watch it.
"Don't tase me, bro!"
timaroosky
DMMB Survivor

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related