B-sides that should have made it to an album…

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Postby Sigyn » Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:01 am

…and album tracks that should have been better off as b-sides.

In my humble opinion:

â€￾Ice Machineâ€￾ – should have been on â€￾Speak and spellâ€￾ instead of â€￾Nodiscoâ€￾ or â€￾Whats your nameâ€￾ or â€￾Any second now (voices)â€￾

â€￾Now this is funâ€￾ – should have been on â€￾A broken frameâ€￾ instead of â€￾A photograph of youâ€￾ or â€￾Satelliteâ€￾ or â€￾Nothing to fearâ€￾

â€￾Get the balance rightâ€￾ (not a b-side, I know!) – should have been on â€￾Construction time againâ€￾ instead of â€￾Told you soâ€￾ or â€￾More than a partyâ€￾

â€￾Happiest girlâ€￾ or â€￾Sea of sinâ€￾ – should have been on â€￾Violatorâ€￾ instead of â€￾Sweetest perfectionâ€￾ (Not that I think that â€￾Sweetest perfectionâ€￾ is a bad song, far from it!)

â€￾My joyâ€￾ – should have been on â€￾Songs of faith and devotionâ€￾ instead of â€￾Mercy in youâ€￾ or â€￾Get right with meâ€￾ or â€￾Rushâ€￾

â€￾The bottom lineâ€￾ – should have been a b-side. Take that track off of the â€￾Ultraâ€￾ album and the album gets much much better.

â€￾The dead of nightâ€￾ – should have been a b-side. Take that track off of the â€￾Exciterâ€￾ album and the album gets much much better.
Sigyn
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby Ringflower » Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:11 am

Dangerous
Sea of sin
Happiest girl

Imagine Violator without Blue dress and Sweetest perfection but with Happiest Girl and Dangerous.
What an album that would have been!! Image Image Image
Ringflower
DMMB Veteran

Postby depman » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:07 am

But not tonight should have been an album track

ps The dead of night is fantastic and was the best opening track to a tour Image
depman

Postby Sarah Marshall » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:36 am

I've always thought Fools deserved better, I love the moodiness of that track although I have to cringe at the little break in it that sounds like the Grange Hill theme tune....play it and even if you're not British and don't know Grange Hill, you'll know which bit I'm on about.

It fits the mood of the other Alan tracks on the album....but as to which one deserves to be lost in its favour....please, take away Told You So! Can't stand it. There's too much going on in it at once in places. And I know they were just finding their feet but Martin's take on Blake's Jerusalem was something I could have done without.
Sarah Marshall

Postby Sigyn » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:36 am

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by depman:
The dead of night is fantastic and was the best opening track to a tour Image<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree that The dead of night was a good opening track on the concert, but I think it feels completely out of place on the album.
Sigyn
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby Sarah Marshall » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:38 am

Definitely. It seems to invade, doesn't it. Although personally I like it when I'm in the mood for it as I find Exciter too quiet and gentle. It might have been different if there were more tracks in the same general vein, or some on middle ground.

Put Dirt on the album! I've yet to come across someone who doesn't adore that track (and as to why, just you go figure! Image Image)
Sarah Marshall

Postby Marblehead Johnson » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:45 am

Oh, so many !

1. Ice Machine
2. Shout
3. Now This Is Fun
4. But Not Tonight
5. Happiest Girl
6. Sea Of Sin
7. Surrender
Marblehead Johnson

Postby Sigyn » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:47 am

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave's Angel:
Put Dirt on the album! I've yet to come across someone who doesn't adore that track (and as to why, just you go figure! Image Image)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Congrats! You've just come across someone... Image
I don't dislike "Dirt", but I don't think it's very good either.
I still think it would have been quite cool if "The dead of night" just had been a bonus track on the vinyl record. And maybe included on the Japanese CD... Almost all bands have extra tracks on the Japanese CDs, but not DM.
Sigyn
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby Sarah Marshall » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:48 am

I adore Ice Machine, I forgot it cos Dreaming Of Me wasn't on the album! (OK you work out the logic)

And Shout definitely has its charm, I'm always joining in with it in Live In Hamburg.

I'd like to boot It Doesn't Matter off of SGR though, it's just too minimal for my tastes.
Sarah Marshall

Postby Beatmaster101 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:55 am

> Ice Machine and Shout should be included in "Speak & Spell"

> Now, This is Fun in "A Broken Frame"

> Sea of Sin in "Violator"

> My Joy in "Songs of Faith and Devotion"

Agent Orange
Beatmaster101

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related