What does your husband/wife/partner think about DM?

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Postby drdmfan » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:49 am

I was wondering just what your spouses think about you being a DM fan. Do they like the music as well or run from the room when you play it? Image
My husband likes DM, in fact that is a bit of what brought us together.
Have you ever had a relationship that started because of DM?
drdmfan

Postby ULTRAGIRL » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:14 am

When I first got together with my husband - he saw my collection of CD's and Videos etc and he just shook his head at me.

Now he's made his own CD up of all his favourite DM tracks. He knows all the words and his favourite album is SOFAD.

He also accompanied me to the Paper Monsters gig at Wolverhampton & said it was the best gig he'd been to.

So I've converted someone & he's a better man for it. Image Image
ULTRAGIRL
DMMB Survivor

Postby yourfavouriteslave » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:21 am

Very good thread!! My husband does not like DM at all, but then he does not like any music in particular. He only ever listens to what's on the radio! Having said that, I once managed to drag him to the NEC in Birmingham for the Exciter tour and he did all the driving ( in the pourring rain!!) and admitted that it was a very good show. What annoys me is that he doesn't really take my passion for DM very seriously. He kinds of sneers at it and is quite reluctant to let me play DM in the car when we travel!
He was more understanding when we first started going out together and I told him there was aDM biography i wanted and he went out and bought it for me as a surprise!!! What they wouldn't do to get us, hey!
Now, it's funny but our difference in tastes for music sometimes makes me wonder if we are right for each other. If he cannot be sensitive to Martin's lyrics, how can he be my soul mate? And what about the sexual innuendo in the lyrics?
Oh well, I cannot go for a divorce on the grounds that my husband does not understand DM!!!!!
I have never met anyone through DM and I wish it had happened to me before I got married as I am sure it would have been wild....
Sorry if I'm going on a bit but it's a topic very close to my heart!
yourfavouriteslave
DMMB Veteran

Postby yourfavouriteslave » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:23 am

Hi Ultragirl.
Well done!
Could you give me a few tips on how to achieve such a successful conversion!!! Image
yourfavouriteslave
DMMB Veteran

Postby janandalan101 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:24 am

hey me and my hubby are the older modies and we have loved them from day 1... Image no prob's in our house what the pennies get spent on... Image
janandalan101
DMMB Survivor

Postby UselessAdvice » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:25 am

I have a pretty simple rule. Before I get into a relationship I will give her a tape of some DM songs and test her reaction. If she doesn't like it we're finished! Image
UselessAdvice

Postby ULTRAGIRL » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:26 am

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by yourfavouriteslave:
Hi Ultragirl.
Well done!
Could you give me a few tips on how to achieve such a successful conversion!!! Image<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I let the music speak for itself. In the house,in the car, he couldn't get away from it. I knew I'd finally got him converted when I heard him singing
"Just can't get Enough" in the shower at full power. Image
ULTRAGIRL
DMMB Survivor

Postby ellefire » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:43 am

Well, Dave is the "other guy" in this relationship, but as I say, I look but I don't touch! Actually, mr ellefire saw Dave in Wolverhampton and was awestruck - instant conversion. He's always liked DM but that's all it is. It doesn't border on obsessional like me. God love him though. He ferries me wherever I need to be and that's true love AWWWWWWW Image
ellefire
DMMB Survivor

Postby yourfavouriteslave » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:47 am

Waow! You are all doing well. I must be doing something wrong.... I will definitely try to play DM more when he is in because at the moment I only tend to play it when I'm on my own! And we are "old" as well!! No excuse!!
yourfavouriteslave
DMMB Veteran

Postby Domen » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:47 am

@YFS - a very good point: they don't take it seriously. That's the exact attitude of my boyfriend, he's a bit of intellectual , he tries to be very gentle about this topic with me but I can just see!! LOL What is really annoying is that he really thinks it's just one of the things, "whatever" kind of thing. Whereas being a DM fan really describes me!

another thing is that my b/f is a poet himself (a very gifted one I also have to sayImage), so he looks down at everything that is poppy in anyway - a fool Image Image Image
Domen
DMMB Survivor

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related