As we get old, What do we do with our collectibles?

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

As we get old, What do we do with our collectibles?

Postby drugrep » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:36 pm

So I’m 48 now. I know there are some young fans, but we know the age group of the masses. I still have my posters from back in our day. Do we let our kids throw it out when we croak? Do we try to find young fans that want it?
drugrep
DMMB Veteran

Re: As we get old, What do we do with our collectibles?

Postby reverse-chronicles » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:38 am

I've noticed that my dad, my uncles, and even older cousins had had their priorities in life shifted. It seems it's an involuntary, natural process. My father, for instance, was a hardcore Pink Floyd fan. Now it's more like he's enjoying a memory of enjoying the music he liked. My older cousin was a Depeche Mode fan back when I was wetting my nappies but he's become like my dad. If the same happens to me, then I will sell everything to those who care. If my kids care, I'll leave everything to them.
All the best,
Denis M.
reverse-chronicles

Postby steventoo » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:34 pm

It's inevitable that there will be some kind of priority shift as we grow older. For some people, the shift may come in our habits (I don't hang out in bars every weekend anymore, for example). For others, we may change our collection habits (not me, I still collect everything, plus I've re-started my baseball/hockey card collection too).

Often, this is stuff we've paid a TON of money for over the years. I paid $50 (at least, could have been more) for a giant SOFAD-era Depeche Mode poster some 17 years ago (holy crap) that's been rolled up in a PVC pipe for at least 9 years now. I keep telling myself I'll move to some place where I'll need some cool posters (and that may be happening soon!) but it's never happened yet.

What will I do with this stuff? My kids (still so weird...) like some of it, but they're still pretty young. There's no telling whether they will appreciate it or not. I can only leave it to them and hope they'll do whatever they feel is best with it, whether that's keeping it on hand to remember their dad, or selling it off to someone else who will appreciate it more. I don't think I'll be upset either way, as long as it doesn't just end up in the trash.
"If it's as boring as this, we won't stay long." ~ Martin L. Gore
steventoo

Postby reverse-chronicles » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:11 am

steventoo wrote:There's no telling whether they will appreciate it or not. I can only leave it to them and hope they'll do whatever they feel is best with it, whether that's keeping it on hand to remember their dad, or selling it off to someone else who will appreciate it more. I don't think I'll be upset either way, as long as it doesn't just end up in the trash.

I believe that it depends on personality, age and preferences.

I, myself, never was a collector of anything. Even if I did collect some stuff, mostly I did it because of boredom and peer pressure. Then, after the age of 30, I've completely changed, and since then I'm collecting CDs, SACDs, BluRays, records, and so forth. But most importantly I started to hunt the things that in my mind were a part of my parents' image when I was young. For example, I've found and bought the same model of watches my dad wore even though the factory closed in mid 90s.

Deep down I really regret that all those things were not preserved in the first place. So, my advice would be: don't hide your posters away, let them be exposed to your kids and preserve what you can. Create the atmosphere that your kids would miss in their mid-age.
All the best,
Denis M.
reverse-chronicles

Postby JSJ » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:33 am

I'm not a "collector" as such, what I mean by that is that I'm not a completist.

That said, at various stages I've tried to buy all versions of various releases, as opposed to all formats, particularly for Yazoo (I think I have all officially released versions of their stuff, for example.)

What will my kids do with it when I'm dead - I don't know, and won't be around to care.

But while I'm still alive and capable of enjoying it all, it's going nowhere...
JSJ

Return to Depeche Mode Related