DM Trivial information

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Postby A Citizen and I » Thu May 22, 2003 3:50 am

Haveing been a DM fan for well over 20 years I've naturally picked up a few bits of useless DM trivia (although some not so trivial)
For example
'Strangelove' was a 'jigsaw' song. It was pieced together from bits of other songs and ideas in the studio. It wasn't written as a whole song.

I have a few more but does anyone else have any 'useless' info?
A Citizen and I

Postby Sarah Marshall » Thu May 22, 2003 11:48 am

On a similar tack how about - and sorry but I can't remember where I got this from - Sister of Night's lyrics were not recorded in one go, because Dave was so shot at the time.

Because they couldn't get a decent vocal from him right the way through, they had to paste together a verse here, a verse there, a chorus there....

PS - I used to live in Liverpool!!!!! Image
Sarah Marshall

Postby A Citizen and I » Fri May 23, 2003 3:45 am

Here is another-
The engine noise at the start of stripped is a not a car like everyone thinks, it's a motorbike sampled and replayed a few tones lower and therefore slower.

PS, I live in Aigburth, but I come from Warrington!
A Citizen and I

Postby clean » Fri May 23, 2003 4:18 am

27 musicians played for One Caress as i know.
clean

Postby A Citizen and I » Fri May 23, 2003 7:07 am

We all know the song 'Somebody' but how many people know what it's about?

Somebody is the thoughts of someone who is filling out a form for a dating agancy!

These dating agencys were all the rage in the early 1980s
A Citizen and I

Postby sighgee » Fri May 23, 2003 8:07 am

Martin wrote "Blasphemous Rumours" about some of his experiences in going to chruch with a friend. There was a list of people who were sick that they would pray for, and he said, "it ended up that the person at the top of the list died every week."
sighgee

Postby presley » Fri May 23, 2003 10:15 am

The final verion of Walking in my shoes is actually three different versions put togethor!

A reggae version of Judas was recorded during the SOFAD sessions!

To Have and to hold (spanish taster) is a studio version based on Martins original poppier demo!

In your room was based on Massive attacks Unfinished Sympathy!
presley

Postby steventoo » Fri May 23, 2003 10:50 am

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The final verion of Walking in my shoes is actually three different versions put togethor!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not so sure about Walking in My Shoes, but the album version of In Your Room fits that bill.
steventoo

Postby Sarah Marshall » Sat May 24, 2003 8:27 am

And the heavy beat on Personal Jesus (thud THUD a-thud THUD) is actually band members and crew jumping up and down on the flight cases used to pack their gear into!
Sarah Marshall

Postby presley » Sat May 24, 2003 11:57 am

@Steven too

check out the Recoil site and the Malins book!

Another fact = Fletch's label 'Toast Hawaii' is named after his favourite meal at a cafe near Hansa during the recording of Some great reward, Toast Hawaii is also the name of the unreleased D.M jokey album recorded at the same time during free studio time, the thankfully unreleased album features Fletch singing his favourite songs such as 'When the saints come marching in' accompanied by Martin -Guitar, Alan - Piano and Dave on drums!
presley

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related