Music recommendations for a DM fan

Topics not related to Depeche Mode.

Music recommendations for a DM fan

Postby blackfox » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Hello dear DM fans!

I have a problem - I will soon know all of the DM songs by heart! :D For long I've been trying to find something else that I would like to listen to, but without great success (websites like last. fm haven't helped me a lot). My taste in music is best described with DM songs like John the Revalator, Pain that I am used to, I feel you, slow, angel. Some of the rare non-DM songs that I like are Iggy Pop - King of the dogs, Puscifer - Momma sed, Chris Isaak - Wicked Game, Shivaree - Goodnight Moon. Is there any band or an album that you could recommend me?
blackfox

Re: Music recommendations for a DM fan

Postby member » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:13 pm

The Cure and the Pet Shop Boys might be some artists you'd like based on what you said. Also music by Sting, after The Police (some of which tends to be more mellow) might be of interest since you said you liked Wicked Game by Chris Isaak.
DMMB Survivor

Postby Chained » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:51 am

Editors.

Editors began as an indie rock band, guitars bass and drums. But for their third album in 2009 they hired Flood as the producer and released the finest DM inspired album to date. The closest thing to Violator you'll come across that's not by DM. Gone were the guitars and instead replaced by synths and drum machines and for a first attempt, they pulled it off exquisitely.

Then their lead guitarist left the band during recording their 4th album again with Flood. They played a few new tracks live and it was clear they were sticking with the synths. But after Chris left and a couple of new guys came in (going from a 4 piece to a 5 piece) they reworked the tracks with a new producer and went back the guitars.

However their 5th album In Dream and their 6th album Violence (released only 3 days ago) has reconfirmed their position as one of the most creative electronic bands around. The title track to Violence, Belong and Cold are pure DM heaven. The three albums to go for first (in order) are:

In This Light & On This Evening (2009)
Violence (2018)
In Dream (2015).

6 albums in, I think it may be enough of a body of work to confirm that the boys from Birmingham are now my new favourite band. They are a lot like DM in other respects too, they don't get much attention from the UK press or radio and yet are huge across Europe. Not DM huge but they headline festivals and play to bigger crowds than over here.
Chained
DMMB Veteran

Postby ukozcd » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:47 am

The closest thing to Violator you'll come across that's not by DM?

Never thought that - it's a good album though. It reminds me more of Ian Curtis singing in front of New Order.

Go to you tube - easier way to see where your tastes take you. There are a lot of groups out there who dabble a little/a lot in electronic/rock that might interest you. Some you would never have heard of.
ukozcd

Return to Not DM Related