Reject Capitalism - Don't buy Spirit

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Reject Capitalism - Don't buy Spirit

Postby Gretsch » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:03 pm

We should all heed Depeche's advice and reject the evils of capitalism by boycotting any purchase of Spirit and its related merchandise, tours, etc. By purchasing this album, concert tickets, apparel, you are only lining the pockets of the corporations (like Columbia Records, etc.) that get the breaks that keep almost everything they make. Even purchasing individual song downloads boosts the balance sheets of Apple, Amazon, etc. But I'm sure any proceeds that Dave, Marty and Fletch rake in will be given to the Poorman walking around with worn out shoes.

Yeah - the above is sarcasm. But after listening to this new album and the band's promotional interviews bashing the systems and market structures that have made these guys multi-millionaires, I can't help but throw up at the hypocrisy that they now share with the rest of the entertainment elitists. Life has to be a constant struggle living in slums of Santa Barbara, huh Marty? And no, I'm not an alt-right supporter, just someone who knows BS when I smell it. Notwithstanding the band's latest political agenda, the music on this album is just plain lacking.

These guys should stop pandering to the snowflakes and get back to making music that made them great way back when.
Gretsch

Re: Reject Capitalism - Don't buy Spirit

Postby buckets of lube » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:47 pm

Gretsch wrote:And no, I'm not an alt-right supporter

Gretsch wrote:These guys should stop pandering to the snowflakes

Does not compute.
buckets of lube
DMMB Survivor

Postby Ultrastate » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:52 pm

buckets of lube wrote:

Does not compute.

Why does it not compute to you?
Ultrastate
DMMB Veteran

Postby Gretsch » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:57 pm

buckets of lube wrote:

Does not compute.

Sorry to disappoint you, but those terms can be mutually exclusive.
Gretsch

Postby Ultrastate » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:05 pm

Gretsch - it's obvious I wasn't responding to you. I'm asking b.o.l to expand on what they said.
Ultrastate
DMMB Veteran

Postby steventoo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:52 pm

Criticism is fine. Flame wars are not. Keep it civil.
"If it's as boring as this, we won't stay long." ~ Martin L. Gore
steventoo

Postby fujikochan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Gretsch wrote:But after listening to this new album and the band's promotional interviews bashing the systems and market structures that have made these guys multi-millionaires, I can't help but throw up at the hypocrisy that they now share with the rest of the entertainment elitists.

Keep in mind that Depeche was signed to an indie label without a formal contract for 27 years. They made the conscious choice to avoid these bureaucratic systems despite being offered time and again to join a major label and deal with oppressive A&R, etc. And they made most of their money under these conditions. The "worst" they had to deal with was Sire Records, who denied "Fly on The Windscreen" and "Stripped" as lead singles; clearly such dictation didn't last long.

And, as Martin will be happy to rant to you about, people like Simon Cowell have changed the system to necessitate the multi-tiered levels of bullshit they sign off on now. LiveNation milks the fans for what they've got but few bands can successfully tour the country without LiveNation's support; either a venue is contracted with TicketMaster or is owned by LiveNation.

I wouldn't necessarily say that Spirit comes from a place of hypocrisy. I think, much like Roger Waters, Depeche sees the system for what it is. And I don't think biting the hand that feeds is necessarily a bad thing. When the most prominent voices speak up, the world listens. This is why I am happy to buy the record.
fujikochan

Postby Shadowman82 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:53 pm

I bought the record because I like the music , that's usually my main criteria for wether I purchase music .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby buckets of lube » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:34 am

Gretsch wrote:
buckets of lube wrote:

Does not compute.

Sorry to disappoint you, but those terms can be mutually exclusive.

Yet the term snowflake has been hijacked by the alt-right and Fox News-types such as Sean Hannity. Using it just helps legitimizing that crowd.
buckets of lube
DMMB Survivor

Postby MinorKeyProgression » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:11 am

I don't think it's hypocrisy to be paid for work while criticizing the excesses of the capitalist system.
MinorKeyProgression

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related