DM Live 2017 setlist wishlist

Discuss the Global Spirit Tour here.

Moderators: Pelicanito, steventoo, Admin

DM Live 2017 setlist wishlist

Postby johntherevelator » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:47 pm

we've already got a wishlist thread about the new album, but what about the next tour?

here's my wishlist of what should (and shouldn't!) be played on the next tour.

must plays
personal jesus
enjoy the silence

not must plays but probably will be
never let me down again
i feel you
walking in my shoes

songs that really need to be played again
everything counts (once a staple at all DM shows, hasn't been played live since 2006, definitely time to return)
people are people (hasn't been played since 101, would be so much fun to hear this again)
master and servant (another classic, only played on one tour since violator)
blasphemous rumors (hasn't been played since 101 and it's a dm classic. seriously, it's a outright joke that this hasn't been played live in 28 years)
shake the disease (sung by dave! i do like martin's ballad, but i really miss the song the way it was meant to be played, we haven't heard the amazing studio version since the violator tour 26 years ago!)
but not tonight (sung by dave! please please just once let us hear dave sing this live in the proper studio version and NOT acoustic)
strangelove (classic song, only played on one tour since violator)
rush (gets heavily overshadowed by the SOFAD singles, but sounds incredible live)
john the revelator (perhaps the best live sounding track from PTA)
angel (best live song from delta, if any song is going to be played again from that album, it should be this)

older non-classics that really should be given a serious look
the sun and the rainfall (alan wanted this played on devotional but got outvoted, it's long overdue to come back)
get the balance right
lie to me
stories of old
the things you said

time to take a break from (aka, stop playing these damn songs every tour already)
just can't get enough
a question of time
behind the wheel
halo
policy of truth
in your room
it's no good
precious (love the song, but it kinda falls flat live (they play it too slow) plus it's been played on every tour since '05 so it might be time for a break)

and the biggest request of them all... please have martin sing only the songs he sang on the albums. i don't care much for the bare piano versions either. play the songs as they were originally released or don't play them at all. that's just my opinion. some of the songs might sound okay in that format, but it kinda cheapens the songs as they're not getting played the way fans grew up knowing them as. i want to hear shake the disease as the way it was originally made, not as some ballad that sounds nothing like the classic we all know and love.

what does everyone else think? what's on your wishlist for the next DM tour?
johntherevelator
DMMB Veteran

Re: DM Live 2017 setlist wishlist

Postby IceMachine » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:08 pm

and the biggest request of them all... please have martin sing only the songs he sang on the albums. i don't care much for the bare piano versions either. play the songs as they were originally released

Plus ++++++++++++++ multiple times for this one. I agre comletely.

Next thing I agree with the number of must songs for the whole tour should be cut down to 2 or 3 maximum so theres more variety for other songs from their catalogue they havent performed live for a long time.

as for the set list wish list you detailed, I agree with a lot of your points but I fear for every one person that posts on your thread you d see a different wish set list, personal tastes/priorities differ vastly on this issue. DM has produced almost 200 songs in their career and not one wish set list will match the one of the next gux.

must plays
personal jesus
enjoy the silence

not must plays but probably will be
never let me down again
i feel you
walking in my shoes

songs that really need to be played again
everything counts (once a staple at all DM shows, hasn't been played live since 2006, definitely time to return)
people are people (hasn't been played since 101, would be so much fun to hear this again)
master and servant (another classic, only played on one tour since violator)
blasphemous rumors (hasn't been played since 101 and it's a dm classic. seriously, it's a outright joke that this hasn't been played live in 28 years)
shake the disease (sung by dave! i do like martin's ballad, but i really miss the song the way it was meant to be played, we haven't heard the amazing studio version since the violator tour 26 years ago!)
but not tonight (sung by dave! please please just once let us hear dave sing this live in the proper studio version and NOT acoustic)
strangelove (classic song, only played on one tour since violator)
rush (gets heavily overshadowed by the SOFAD singles, but sounds incredible live)
john the revelator (perhaps the best live sounding track from PTA)
angel (best live song from delta, if any song is going to be played again from that album, it should be this)

older non-classics that really should be given a serious look
the sun and the rainfall (alan wanted this played on devotional but got outvoted, it's long overdue to come back)
get the balance right
lie to me
stories of old
the things you said

time to take a break from (aka, stop playing these damn songs every tour already)
just can't get enough
a question of time
behind the wheel
halo
policy of truth
in your room
it's no good
precious

I agree with quite a few of your requests but I dont need personal jesus as a must song. I dont need Master and Servant and Blashemous rumours either. From SGR I d love to hear Stories of old, Lie to and something to do instead.

I d love tora tora or pupets or photographic, so at least one from Speak and spell OTHER than IJCGE, IM really tired of I just cant get enough and besides never thought this song is very valuable. A song liek that which can be covered by the saturdays plus used as a fotbal chant in the stadium doesnt really have much depth, I understand though for a lot of people its a signature song.

Id also love at least one ABF song, be it SATR or leave in Silence.

But as said, if we were to go into detail what we want and what we dont with the 190 plus songs that Depeche has produced in their career its going to be hard to come to an agreement.

Thus I repeat the two basics that you have pointed out where I completel agree:
- As few Martin sung songs as possible and if at all only those he did sing on the albums.
- Play the original versions of songs they way they appeared on the albums
- as few Must songs as possible for the whole tour in order to be more flexible to choose other songs that weren't performed in a long time. Plaing the same old songs year in year out is plain boring.
IceMachine

Postby synthlove » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:20 am

It's really, really too soon to start this again. You can literally go back three years and just read the previous tour's Setlist Wishlist thread. It will be the same as this....We understand the desire about playing rare and obscure tracks...it's just really needed.
synthlove

Postby Dmdublin » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:26 pm

Great selection people
Would love to hear an acoustic version of dangerous with an 8 bit synth in the background
Well I can dream can't i
Dmdublin

Postby IceMachine » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:35 pm

I don't see any "obscure" songs mentioned in his or mine wish list, all of the songs that were brought up are official Depeche Mode songs that at one stage or the other of their career indeed already were used as live material but haven't been performed live for quite some time now. That doesn't make them obscure.
IceMachine

Postby GABRIELMODE » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:27 am

the same setlist since 1998 (except new songs)

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
GABRIELMODE

Postby nickynick » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:29 am

I'm new here and usually just read the forums but feel strongly enough about this topic that I decided to register and post.

Here's some thoughts and ideas on what I'd like to see from the next tour without going into too many specific songs:

1) Skip the opening act and do the "Evening With..." format. Lots of older bands are doing this so do two sets and encores, 3 hours total. Enough with the opening acts we'll never hear from again. The band has already given enough influence and guidance to up and coming artists now its time to give back to the fans.

2) Enough with the minimalist stage show. The videos are always cool but go over the top and indulge for once. I want fog, strobes, lasers, etc. Their music can be very visual.

3) I know they'll be touring behind an album but break the format and open with a couple classic songs before getting into the new material

4) If Martin is going to do a stripped down solo set then that's fine but if they can possibly do a 2-set show then also give us a full band set with stuff like Home and Things You Said, etc.

5) Maybe consider doing a whole album such as Violator in its entirety.

6) We can debate specific songs forever but definitely surprise us with some rarities.

Maybe some might have issues with the above but they're getting older and not many chances left to do something like this.
nickynick
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby Chained » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:00 am

All I'm bothered about it the predictability of the setlists. It is very boring knowing exactly what they are going to play from one night to the next because they never change it up.

The likes of Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead play something like 20+ of 40-50 different tracks from one night to the next. They even start gigs off with songs that they finished with from the night before!

Sick of going to watch them at one venue and then going to another venue a few nights after to watch the exact same show.

Anyway musts for me are Wrong, Suffer Well, Rush, Clean, Shine.
Chained
DMMB Veteran

Postby markoperaja » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:49 am

I want Freestate,To have and to hold and Clean!!
markoperaja

Postby gaz101 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:52 pm

They do really need to shake things up a bit but we will always be there! Can't wait.
Wouldn't mind hearing nothing again.
gaz101
DMMB Veteran

Next

Return to Global Spirit Tour