for new lp cover, please no more Anton!

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

for new lp cover, please no more Anton!

Postby russellk » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:46 pm

Like it says in the title, please, no more Anton! Look, I'm sure he's a lovely guy, and I get that they all get along well, but if it's going to be like the last two covers, it's time to find someone new. At the very least, DM needs to get on him a little more to be creative, to push himself, because really, the only good covers he did were for Violator and the corrosponding singles. It drives me crazy to see bands with amazing album covers, and then to see DM look mediocre. And they need better videos this time, too. Apart from Wrong, that last banch...*shudder*
russellk

Postby DrDMode » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:17 pm

I hear what you're saying. Anton's been a legend in some departments...videos (with unfortunate exceptions!) and stage design, but giving him carte blanche on the strength of past glories would be/has been a mistake. What about Martyn Atkins? Some of their most memorable and enduring stuff came from him. And I'm totally with you about the videos. In the youtube age they need to make an impact in that way, and Wrong did to be fair, but some socks need to be pulled up in that whole area. Interesting that on the making of...dvd of SOTU Dave expresses some dissatisfaction about previous videos (seems like a reference to the abomination they filmed in a forest..was it One Caress?) but the standards were far from memorable when the vids actually got made. The output for PTA, certainly in terms of videos was pretty positive. You're right on the whole, they need to get some mojo working in that dept. for the new album.
"Jump into the void..."
DrDMode
DMMB Veteran

Postby CLAUMODE » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:56 pm

I actually like Violator and Playing The Angel album covers. Though Sounds of the Universe is the worst album cover, it was such an unattractive album cover for DM. We all know Anton is going to do the album cover for the upcoming new material for DM. I just hope DM really puts him to work on the creativity side. Yes, we all know Anton will never depart from DM. Anton will always work with DM until the band calls it quits:)
CLAUMODE
DMMB Veteran

Postby matterhorn » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:24 pm

For new LP cover, please, Anton!
matterhorn

Postby Depechefan12 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:27 pm

matterhorn wrote:For new LP cover, please, Anton!

I agree! I think that Anton has done great visual work for the band because it seems that he gets them, he understands what their music does and says, he understands their look. I do hope, though, that the new album cover will be better than the last. I mean, the SOTU design was cool but it just wasn't as good as the others. I also do really hope that there are better videos. Maybe Anton could even do them again. I just was annoyed because, with SOTU, the songs weren't really that bad but, they weren't backed up by good videos which showcased them for what they really were. I just hope that, for the new music videos, the band are featured prominently in them. They don't necessarily have to act in them (or they could if they want...it's up to them) but, it just would be cool if they were in them, playing the song or whatever.
Depechefan12
DMMB Survivor

Postby DSlovesDepecheMode » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:35 pm

you're right, the videos for SOTU were all bad (except for Wrong, wrong's video was awesome)
I did like everything about PTA tho
DSlovesDepecheMode

Postby Depechefan12 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:49 pm

DSlovesDepecheMode wrote:you're right, the videos for SOTU were all bad (except for Wrong, wrong's video was awesome)
I did like everything about PTA tho

Yeah I just think they really could have been better. I do think, though, that out of all the videos made for SOTU, "Wrong" was probably the best. Me too! The PTA videos were truly music videos---they had a great story line combined with the band appearing in them constantly. I still watch the videos for PTA. I also really like when the story for the video fits the message behind the song. Like, for example "Suffer Well." I still watch that video and I still really like how Dave changes into his Devotional self throughout it and how, by the end of it, the Devotional version of himself is buried in the snow..."no longer a part of him." I think it really relates to the song in how the song talks about how Dave has overcome his addiction. We need more videos like that for the upcoming album!
Depechefan12
DMMB Survivor

Postby daveirl » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Anton for the videos though...
I can deal with anybody else for the album covers etc. Sure look at the masterpiece "a broken frame " was. In fairness I liked SOTU album cover but that's me. The videos apart from Wrong for Sotu where dreadful anda blot on Depeche Mode. Its like they didn't care.Pure shit!
"I don't have a home..."
daveirl
DMMB Survivor

Postby MaxMode » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:23 am

I think that the whole SOTU project was a total disaster!

1-Uninspired Music.
2-Terrible Videos.. Yeah including "Wrong"
3-Worst album cover ever.
4-Worst Album title ever.

Anton lost his inspiration with the Mode after ''Ultra'' and the 'One Night in Paris'' Concert film. :(

I Hope he gets his inspiration back soon and Martin too! :rolleyes:
I surrender all control To the desire that consumes me whole
MaxMode

Postby nowhereman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:20 am

With or without Anton I really couldn't care less.

We're getting a new album - I'm quite pleased.:p:)
nowhereman

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related