CD Version of SOTU also mastered badly ?

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

CD Version of SOTU also mastered badly ?

Postby Shadowman82 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:31 am

I've seen some people do analysis of wether or not SOTU on CD was also needlessy loudly mastered resulting in reduced dynamics as was the case with PTA on CD . Unfortunatly the results seem to tell a similar story . Presumably the Vinyl version will be better in this regard as it usually is .

I must say I'm disappointed with DM in this .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby Karbon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:38 am

Yeah it seems that these days, the levels are right up there when you look at the waveform of songs. I'm not sure how I feel about this as I am sure that the producers out there understand the risks. I dunno, sometimes I think songs that have their levels cranked up to the max can sound good as they get that gritty raw feel. Nothings Impossible springs to mind.
Karbon
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Loudness

Postby UselessAdvice » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:07 pm

I also have the impression that a lot of CDs in recent years - including PTA and SOTU - don't sound as good as they should.

This issue has been discussed on this Forum in the past, and many DM fans have pointed out that the best sound quality can be heard on the 5.1 mixes that you will find on the DVD with the special edition releases of these albums. Some people have even gone to the trouble of making their own "remastered" CDs by converting the 5.1 audio tracks on the DVD back to stereo and then burning it onto a CD-R.

To be honest I like having a loud master when I am ripping CDs to my MP3 player (although as a Sony fan I encode in ATRAC3+ rather than MP3). But when it comes to playing on my stereo system at home, I prefer the sound of "old" CDs with a wide dynamic range (if they are "too quiet" I just turn the volume up on my amplifier).

There is a very good page on Wikipedia which explains the loudness issue: Loudness war

Loudness and compression is one of the issues mentioned by Alan Wilder in an open letter he wrote to the website of Sideline magazine back in 2008.
:cool: Cool video & free download: Blind Side by Hybrid
UselessAdvice

Postby Shadowman82 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:05 pm

I'll take greater dynamics any day over a loudly mastered CD because as was pointed out you can just increase the volume on your stereo . Then when you turn things up real loud a properly mastered CD is going to sound much better .

It's true that sometimes this maybe an artistic decision , though I can't see why any artist would want their music butchered like that . You could argue that with PTA and SOTU it was an artistic decision but the fact that the Vinyl and SA-CD/DVD versions of those same albums are mastered properly leads me to believe that it is not .

It really is a shame that DM let their albums be butchered like that on CD . And then the industry complains when CD sales are going down . Vinyl sales on the other hand are increasing .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby totally flexible » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:53 pm

CD is a compressed format. Sonically Vinyl beats CDs ass down every time when it comes to audio quality - as long as you have a decent system. However if the mastering is naff in the first place then there will be minimal benefit buying the vinyl.

Blame BH.
Somebody has to shine for me.
totally flexible
DMMB Veteran

Postby totally flexible » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:59 pm

Love this bit of the AW interview as well......

"So who shall we blame for the whole mess? Do we stick two fingers up at the record companies who have sat around twiddling their thumbs, peddling overpriced re-issues for years while their A&R men bombard us with shallow, faceless pop idol, X factor boy bands? Is it fair to say “... well, you had it coming”...? Or do we accuse the casual 'non-listener' with the attention span of a three year old living in a disposable, homogenized, Paris Hilton-obsessed society, over stimulated with too much life choice? A society that places value in triviality and accepts mediocrity without much question? Or perhaps the devaluation has evolved from the cult of the DJ, where anyone can regurgitate the very essence of rock 'n' roll by lifting an entire 70's funk classic, adding some rap drivel over the top and calling it their own work? Is modern music regarded as an art form at all anymore? Or is it just another business now?"

Brilliant.
totally flexible
DMMB Veteran

Postby totally flexible » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:01 pm

sorry - open letter referenced above by UselessAdvice. My Bad. Still Brilliant tho...
totally flexible
DMMB Veteran

Postby basty_goofy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:55 pm

totally flexible wrote:CD is a compressed format. Sonically Vinyl beats CDs ass down every time when it comes to audio quality - as long as you have a decent system. However if the mastering is naff in the first place then there will be minimal benefit buying the vinyl.

Blame BH.

What do you mean when you state that CD is a compressed format?
basty_goofy

Postby Shadowman82 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:08 pm

CD is not by nature a compressed format . You can use compression on it yes but you are not required to use it . If you master your CD at "sensible" levels you don't have to use much compression I think , if any at all .

I think for a CD to be able to rival a Vinyl release great care has to be put into the mastering . The remasters of the DM Albums Alan was involved in have a shot , judging by the waveforms I have seen but those that came after SOFAD don't stand a chance .

It's true that if a Vinyl release was mastered badly it would negate any advantages Vinyl might offer but in most cases great care is taken in the mastering of Vinyl releases . I'm not even sure Vinyl can be compressed the way a CD master can . In any case the mastering for PTA on Vinyl was done very well , but on CD it was crap .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby basty_goofy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:02 am

A good master like the ones from the 83-93 period is better than a vinyl since it lacks the background noise.
basty_goofy

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related