Guitar-driven vs Synth-driven

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Guitar-driven vs Synth-driven

Postby dmdevote » Fri May 01, 2009 1:49 am

Which kind of songs do you guys prefer? The heavier guitar-driven songs, like I Feel You, Personal Jesus, Mercy in You, Dream On or the general synth-driven songs?
Myself I highly prefer guitar-driven ones, though I don't mean I'd like DM to become a rock band. But the way they produce guitar tracks mixed with synth sounds is just unique and always amazing. Martin's riffs are very powerful (just think Mercy in You, Barrel of a Gun, I Feel You), it's a shame Depeche took a while to plug in their guitars.
dmdevote
DMMB Veteran

Postby Pelicanito » Fri May 01, 2009 1:58 am

dmdevote wrote:Which kind of songs do you guys prefer? .

Depeche Mode for me, thanks.
I don't care if you're going nowhere
just take good care of the world FFS
Pelicanito

Postby LostBoyInSpace » Fri May 01, 2009 1:58 am

I think guitars are only used sparingly in depeche Mode's music, and they have said many times in interview's that they are an electronic band who use guitars, not a guitar band who uses electronics.

They started out an electronic band and remain an electronic band.
I just love their music either way, but it's the electronic's that turned me on in the first place, so I would have to go with loving their electronic sound the most. Of course.
There is a radar in my heart I should have trusted from the start
LostBoyInSpace
DMMB Survivor

Postby inthemodeagain » Fri May 01, 2009 3:09 am

Synth-driven all the way, of course!!!
Not in your room, but in the zombie room--a dark room with bright lights.
inthemodeagain
DMMB Survivor

Location: I am coming home to a little house in the countryside where it all happens and feels like home!

"Guitars, I don't think we used them very much"

Postby nostalgicfashion » Fri May 01, 2009 3:30 am

It all depends on the song. I am a keyboard player, and I like electronic sounds. But a lot of the time when I think of a song I like, it is on a guitar. Which is probably just cause that song happens to have one. On the other hand when I think of the music of DM on song I like the most..that would be.. Question of time, Halo, Rush, Something to do, Dangerous, Sea of sin, Fly's on the windscreen, Lie to me and Only when I lose myself. Ah, I changed my mind, They had it right all along.
"They say you will never care for me"
nostalgicfashion
DMMB Survivor

Postby jammer23 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:15 am

It's a good mix, although I do think Martin has gotten a little carried away with the guitar. When he's holding a guitar for the majority of the setlist, it doesn't seem right to me. Hopefully they get the balance right this time around.
jammer23
DMMB Survivor

Postby halozue » Fri May 01, 2009 7:31 am

Both!
"Hide what you have to hide...Tell what you have to tell"
halozue
DMMB Survivor

Postby WashingtonMode » Fri May 01, 2009 7:58 am

synths synths and more synths. Never needed so much guitar in my opinion (although the first DM guitar album SOFAD is a masterpiece).

A bigger question I have...why is someone who isn't even in the band playing keyboards in concert and center stage of the biggest electronic band in history is a man on guitar a HUGE drum set and a singer...while Fletch and this other dude are off on the side...with Fletch almost off the damn stage?? and there is one set of boards for Mart to get behind for like 2 songs?
In SoccerMode!!
WashingtonMode

Postby Sin_HammersmithOdeon1984 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:44 am

I'd like to say synths only, but actually the combination really works IMHO. Clearly Mart and Dave can handle a guitar with style. Just as long as they don't go overboard, as they sometimes have done (album version of Come Back, for example).
...can synths touch your soul? Well yes, depeche powered...
Sin_HammersmithOdeon1984

Postby Wyzdom » Fri May 01, 2009 1:51 pm

Well I like both but just to point it out, you can count on your hand the number of songs where there a lead guitar part. DM clearly is synth driven.

Wyzdom

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related