JCGE cover to be UK Comic Relief 09 Song

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

JCGE cover to be UK Comic Relief 09 Song

Postby woundsarenthealing » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:04 am

I read yesterday that Just Cant Get Enough will be covered by the Saturdays as the annual Comic Relief charity song. For those not in the know Comic Relief is a major television charity fundraiser here in the UK that brings in ££millions.
I think the charity song normally gets to #1 de rigeur, which could give them their first penned #1 track here after all these years.
I know that the band have never really liked being publicly linked with 'charidee' events cos it normally generates free publicity for the artist but I suppose in a case like this they'll get away with it...
woundsarenthealing
DMMB Survivor

Postby Katz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:31 am

Oh no! It's gonna be truly awful. They're kind of like Britain's answer to The Pussy Cat Dolls. I have mixed feelings with the big publicity that this track will have - just a month before SOTU drops. When the general public hear that DM have released this new album, they may buy it thinking it's gonna be like JCGE......then again, it could boost DM's album sales, but perplex some as to where is the JCGE sound on SOTU!!

Here's some info about The Saturdays, then the link (the JGCE info is below the news of their FHM mens mag cover - need I say more......yes I do! Come back Hilary Duff, all is forgiven!

Source straight from the official website:

The Saturdays sing for Comic Relief
We can now exclusively announce that Rochelle, Frankie, Una, Vanessa and Mollie have been asked to record this year’s Comic Relief single.

The girls have only been together a year and already they are set to follow in the high-heeled shoes of other girlband royalty, such as Girls Aloud, Sugababes and The Spice Girls. They have recorded the main single for 2009’s campaign and have chose a massive track to cover – Depeche Mode’s electro-pop classic ‘Just Can’t Get Enough’.

‘I am so so excited that we have been asked to do the Comic Relief song,’ says Mollie. ‘It’s such a big compliment and it’s so nice to be helping such a good cause. I’ve always dreamt of doing something like this from being a little girl! I remember watching the Spice Girls’ song ‘Who Do You Think You Are’ and now it’s us! I cannot wait!’

Comic Relief’s Red Nose Day is on Friday 13th March and the theme this year is ‘Do Something Funny for Money’. By raising money for Red Nose Day, people can help to change lives forever. That’s because Comic Relief spends all the money raised to give extremely vulnerable, poor and disadvantaged people in the UK and Africa a helping hand to turn their lives around.

The single will be released 2nd March with Comic Relief itself taking place on 13th March.

This should be interesting they really have hit the big time, I wonder if this will result in a re-issue? the album does seem to be doing great this weeks number 9 and issues no. 5!

http://www.thesaturdays.co.uk/
NZ fan
Katz
DMMB Survivor

Postby ballini » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:44 am

good lord.
ballini
DMMB Survivor

Postby Katz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:58 am

ballini wrote:good lord.

I'm with you on that ballini. I can't believe that after all these long years of DM persistently trying shake off the cheesy synth pop image, these dim-witted 'Saturday' slappers(!) are going to undo all of DM's efforts.

Surely DM have not approved this - after all, Vince Clarke wrote the song.....but then again, it is still a DM song.
NZ fan
Katz
DMMB Survivor

Postby Katz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:15 pm

I can't believe what I just did - haha! I joined The Saturdays Forum. I wanted to see what their fans were saying about JCGE, but had no guest option, so had to join. I can't post link here. Here's some examples (I've cut and pasted for you!):

"80s song, Sounds okay, i wonder what the production will be like, as it sounds cheesy to me.

When The Satz cover is released hopefully be number one, will probably see Original Version sales go up on iTunes lol

I'm not really a fan of the original. It's kinda boring!! Hope the sats do a better version! Also, they should really get to number 1 what with it being for comic relief..if they don't it would be seen as a major fail!!"
NZ fan
Katz
DMMB Survivor

Postby Violator Celebrator » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:09 pm

They will do an AWFUL job. Why can't they just leave these songs alone??? :(
REACH OUT AND TOUCH FAITH!!!!!!!!!!
Violator Celebrator

Postby Gunit » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:26 pm

To be honest I don't think the Sats would have chosen the sung. Comic relief would of course have decided this. I have mixed feelings. I think it would be good publicity for the guys and a worthwhile cause. Not sure how it will come out though and whether DM will be given credit for it.

Cliff Richard and the Young ones anyone??
It gets better and better as it gets wetter and wetter
Gunit

Postby ballini » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:34 pm

Cliff Richard and the Young ones anyone??

LOL!!!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
ballini
DMMB Survivor

Confused...dot com....

Postby cherrybomb » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:35 pm

I'm confused because I thought Rob Brydon and Ruth Jones(from Gavin and Stacey) were doing the comic relief song this year???? They were supposed to be doing a cover of Islands in the stream..(yeh i know....but its funny!!)
I dont even know who this group is.....but I bet it's going to be crap!
♫♪ I ♥ D≡P≡CH≡ MOD≡ ♫♪
cherrybomb

Postby cherrybomb » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:38 pm

Ha ha to Katz for joining their forum..........are you devoted to them now instead??????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Anyway, It's for charideeee so I suppose it's worth it..isn't it??
♫♪ I ♥ D≡P≡CH≡ MOD≡ ♫♪
cherrybomb

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related