Glastonbury

Discuss all topics relating to the 2009 Depeche Mode tour!

Glastonbury

Postby TonyT » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:10 pm

I know that this has probably been discussed before but I've been reading a number of festival web forums and on more than one occasion there seems to be a Depeche Mode at Glastonbury 09 rumour. From what I've read on this forum I don't think there are too many people here that are that keen to see them there, because they don't like festivals or outdoor shows as much. In some respects I agree but festivals have their own vibe and I just think to have DM headline the biggest music festival in the world would be a huge tribute to them. There is a gap (albeit a very small one) that could accomodate a night at Glastonbury. DM are an absolutely fantastic live act and I for one, having seem them for the first time in Ipswich in 1984 and every tour since, would love to see them at last headlining such a massive event!
TonyT
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby plecc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:02 pm

You only have to look at their 'Rock am Ring' performance to prove that,

but that was in germany where they do have a much bigger fan base....
plecc

Postby mode1983 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:30 pm

Welcome aboard TonyT, Good to see a fellow suffolk mode fan on here ,i was 15 in 1984 and missed the show at Ipswich as i was sick ,i was so gutted but ive made up for it since and seen every tour since 1990.
Going back to Daves solo show at Glastonbury he did tell the TV Presnters afterwards that he was surprised depeche mode had never played Glastonbury themselves and that he loved playing the festival , 3 yrs down the line depeche mode played quite a few festival shows including the O2 festival at Hyde Park London . So perhaps they may well do something simaller here in the U.K this time round , i was a bit surprised with the one U.K date ? Tell you what mate be great to see the boys at Portman Road !!
mode1983

Postby TonyT » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi Mode 1983 good to know that there's someone as old as me knockin' around this forum and who can remember gigs at the Gaumont too! Portman Road would be great, probably be the fullest it's been for a season or two as well. One date in the UK does seem a little odd, ok there's bigger fan bases maybe in Germany and eastwards but they've never restricted to one show which is why I remain hopeful that maybe Glastonbury might be an option. I'm just happy their recording again, I think that since SOFAD I've been telling myself each time it might be the last album or tour.
TonyT
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby ErrorGorilla » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:18 pm

Well, they're just over the channel in Paris the night before the final night of Glastonbury and the headline act hasn't been announced yet...
Marching to the wrong drum with the wrong scum.
ErrorGorilla

Postby Excitered again » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:45 pm

Don't worry, plenty of us older UK based Mode fans in here... not always posting but always reading.

Personally don't like festivals but would love to see us fill Wembley Stadium though..

Is anyone (UK based) planning on doing any foreign shows for this tour... I went to Paris for the Exciter tour using a concert travel company and really fancy taking in maybe Leipzig AND/OR Berlin.... Can anyone suggest a decent company to book the whole thing with ?

Cheers guys and girls...

Day Two after the press conference and already desperate for April...
P.A.S.I.V.T
Excitered again

Postby Northern » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:50 pm

Excitered again wrote:
Is anyone (UK based) planning on doing any foreign shows for this tour... I went to Paris for the Exciter tour using a concert travel company and really fancy taking in maybe Leipzig AND/OR Berlin.... Can anyone suggest a decent company to book the whole thing with ?

Cheers guys and girls...

Day Two after the press conference and already desperate for April...

Im looking at travelling over to Berlin. Did Prague on TTA

Will book tickets through main site, flights with usual low cost airlines and then hotels online. Works out cheaper than organised packages.

Have posted a seperate thread to seek help, feel free to pose questions - hopefully a source for us uk fans get travel advice to go see DM in europe.
Northern

Postby ErrorGorilla » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:58 pm

I'll be arranging Eurostar tickets for Paris this month and then waiting until December for Stade de France to go onsale. A friend of mine reckons he'll sort out tickets for the San Siro and we'll fly over. Mind you, Berlin is tempting too! I need to sell a kidney on eBay.
Marching to the wrong drum with the wrong scum.
ErrorGorilla

Postby Northern » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:03 pm

ErrorGorilla wrote:I'll be arranging Eurostar tickets for Paris this month and then waiting until December for Stade de France to go onsale. A friend of mine reckons he'll sort out tickets for the San Siro and we'll fly over. Mind you, Berlin is tempting too! I need to sell a kidney on eBay.

I had looked at the San Siro too, easy flights from east midlands to Bergamo for 1p each way :D

Know a great value hotel in Milan centre, so could be a good cheap option.
Northern

Postby damaged_person » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:08 pm

i fancy going to one of the german gigs.With only 1 uk date at present i really want to see them abroad so if thats German or France gigs.Any Uk moders fancy a get together and heading to Foreign shores ?
damaged_person
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Next

Return to Tour Of The Universe 2009