Heres a really bad idea...EUROVISION!!

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Heres a really bad idea...EUROVISION!!

Postby mode1983 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:21 pm

After last weeks eurovision song contest,and all the controversy with the voting system i started to think how funny it would be if the U.K entered next years competion with a song by our boys.

Every year United Kingdom end up either last or in the bottom three.
The reason for all you non european fans, is the fact that each country is supposed to vote for their favourite song,but its more political than musical taste that determines the result,of course us brits don't really care as we see it as a bit of a jokey competition,but i just wonder how well we would do if a really cool band like the mode with its legions of fans across europe entered.
I think it would be so funny and the good old BBC would be forced to show depeche mode on national TV.

I admit im expecting to get some stick for this post,but remember im not being serious...honest:D
mode1983

Postby Sonore » Fri May 30, 2008 8:43 pm

Haha, I am from Germany zero points, too! No chance, never ever, whoever will sing for UK or us!
Sonore
Sonore

Postby Mr. PipeLine » Fri May 30, 2008 9:52 pm

Nightmare if DM entered that competition..and I think not.
-taking from the greedy,
giving to the needy
Mr. PipeLine

Postby joshua3 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:20 pm

Be still my heart!
If DM did the ESC it would be the culmination of 2 of the main objects of my fandom! if that happend I could die a happy man.

but seriously, don't believe all the "It's Political" B.S. check out this post: http://community.livejournal.com/oneurope_live/289764.html
taken directly from the Mailing list that I am a member of, with thanks to Liam Jarnecki.

"Mr Kennedy O'Connor and Mr Gambaccini have just pointed out ( On Radio 4's today programme)

a) Dima is a megastar with 3 MTV awards
b) He always gives good value- eg the piano girl, the Stradi, the Ice
skater etc
c) Andy couldn't even win X factor
d) Wogan chose Andy personally against a public vote and so had a
personal credibility thing going on
e) The cost of the UK's contribution if we pulled out would pay for
about 10 minutes of Dr Who
f) Maybe we should pull out of Wimbledon because we don't win that
either
g) It's all sour grapes

Well done lads-
Let them do the commentary maybe!

I think Wogan really set this all up. He misrepresented Dima to the
British viewers, didn't give the audience the right context or
background e.g. telling us what the bookies saw coming.

DM don't need ESC, but it could be a kick. Shame the BBc didn't do anything when they had a chance & Radiohead & Morrisey showed some interest in doing the ESC a few years back. the "eastern european" countries take it more seriously & have much more to gain than the "western" ones. therfore they invest more, have slicker more proffessional productions & the result is that they win.

LORDI (the monster rockers) won a couple years ago because of a good song, good presentation & yes, legions of fans voting. I expect we could all get DM to win if they could ever be persuaded to enter....
10/05/2009 - DM play ISRAEL!
joshua3
DMMB Veteran

Postby sisterofnight62 » Sat May 31, 2008 1:18 am

I don't think it's that much about politics either. The contest has grown into a mega party with 43 participating countries. Don't forget that the musical tastes differ a lot in distant corners of the area. Winning Eurovision song contest requires three things: 1) a good song that *really* comes out from the rest, 2) a killer performance on the night, and 3) A LOT of promotion. Reportedly, Russians put 10 million Euros to the project and they got what they wanted.

I don't think Depeche should ever even consider participating. Oasis could be a good choice, or Morrissey, since both have expressed interest towards the contest. Are Fletch, Mart or Dave interested? I doubt it. Furthermore, both Oasis and Moz are megastars in their own right and have enough weight to easily avoid coming last in the final ;).
sisterofnight62
DMMB Survivor

Postby ghost88 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:46 am

I really don't think they should go, it would be a step back I think. It's more like a contest to get famous and, yes, about politics and neighbouring countries. I'm sure they'd win, but they've already proven to be worth a lot more, so what would be the point? I wouldn't like to see their songs compared to some mainstream ones :)
I'm gonna take my time, I have all the time in the world...
ghost88

Postby Miss Tick » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:23 pm

ghost88 wrote:I really don't think they should go, it would be a step back I think.:)

A huge step back!!!
To be honest, I wonder what this thread has to do with Depeche, why it appears in the DM related section...
In Gore I trust
Miss Tick
DMMB Survivor

Postby Born Confused » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:12 pm

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no for the love of all that is holy no!

I'm not so sure that would be a good idea!
I remember food, people used to have to eat it during the prohibition
Born Confused

Postby woundsarenthealing » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:04 pm

It would be an unfair advantage for dm to enter as dm are so established but they are also v popular in east europe and they are about the only british act that anyone from there would vote for. Our song was crap this year-as was Germany's- but anyone who says Eurovision isnt all about political voting is deranged. All the scandos voted for each other, spain for portugal and vice versa, balkans all went for each other, ex soviet nations same, greece/cyprus, c'mon!! Be best if we pulled out like Italy and Austria have.
woundsarenthealing
DMMB Survivor

Postby Silhouette » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:53 am

All these discussions are nothing!! It's not a secret!!

Now, all competitions reflects the interests of the country, not Kapenkin. If the country does not have any influence (in this case in Europe) it had little chance to earn points.

Certainly, this is politics! For you would vote your neighbours or those to whom you sell gas)))!!

There are still other party.
There are members who come for the competition to win. It's Great!! All respects that desire. This is not naive competition (such as in school). We are all adults. We must understand that there are their ambitions.
I'll make your heart smile!!
Silhouette

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related