dave 'singing'

Talk about tours here.

dave 'singing'

Postby bluesilver » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:34 pm

is it me, or has dave's singing voice become a bit of a joke now?
He has a really good voice, but there seems to be a trend since the Exciter Tour for him to pretty much spit out the words instead of singing them. He now seems to have a voice devoid of emotion and feeling, not to mention subtely and now pretty much all songs are sung in a deep rumble that has little emotion behind it. My fear is that he is on the way to becoming less a 'singer' and more of a parody of a kareoke would-be rock singer. What is odd, is that on the bare versions, you can hear he has a really expressive voice, but generally, since Exciter, to me anyway, he is not singing, but shouting in a deep rumble.

that's my thoughts anyway.
bluesilver
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby Staffangafre » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:53 pm

Well, the biggest disappointment with my Touring the Angel-download is the way Dave sings the chorus for Never Let Me Down Again. He just sings it on one single note all the time. And poor Martin isn´t loud enough with his melodic wonderfulness to make up for it. I played it to my wife because we are going together in Stockholm 7/7. And she was just "What is this? Is this one of their most popular tunes? There is no melody!"

Dave still sounds very good on record, but live it just gets worse and worse. I don´t bother so much when I´m at the concert. But listening to the TTA-recordings in your living room is in some cases (Precious, NLMDA, APTIUT) embarrasing. Other songs sound fine, like Behind the Wheel. But in that case the song fits Daves current idea of singing very well.
Staffangafre
DMMB Veteran

Postby johngill » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:59 pm

Staffangafre wrote:
Dave still sounds very good on record, but live it just gets worse and worse. I don´t bother so much when I´m at the concert. But listening to the TTA-recordings in your living room is in some cases (Precious, NLMDA, APTIUT) embarrasing. Other songs sound fine, like Behind the Wheel. But in that case the song fits Daves current idea of singing very well.

Hmm. It's true - at a gig you don't hear it, you just get caught up in the whole thing. Watching, for instance last night's performance, there were moments when I though 'I hope none of the dm bashers off bandmadness are watching this'. but then there were far more moments when i thought 'bring 'em on'

I think live performance stretches his voice more than he would like, particularly certain songs eg JTR
johngill

Postby Beatmaster101 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:05 pm

He has his up and down moments... last night, I didn't like his vocals at all - shouting all the time and having probs in particular songs like Precious and JTR (he can't sing them properly most of the times). Similar impressions I have for Las Vegas - maybe a little better than yesterday - after listening to the recording. But when I saw them in Milan back in February, he sounded very, very good. And he's still very active on stage - maybe that works against his vocals as well.
Beatmaster101

Postby Princess Mononoke » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:29 pm

well guys,
I think he knows well what he is doing.

Believe me, it's not easy for him as a leader to keep his voice cool as it sounds on thier records singing almost everyday in tour . it is impossible! He moves a lot on stage. he is a performer not Martin. Please try walking in David's shoes before you say your opinion!

Martin doesn't lead. And that keeps his voice more clean and beautiful.

Can you imagine how many energy they give with every concert? Exactly David who is a performer. I've been in his skin not one time. I even couldn't speak after one performance when we had to start a big event. I was off. I could just chilling in my own,while everyone had a great time in backstage...

one thing I really wish for David is to be more himself!

please understand!
love,
Princess Mononoke
Princess Mononoke
DMMB Survivor

Postby bluesilver » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:41 pm

I'm not trying to bash dave, I couldn't do what he does, but I don't really go for the "he's a performer" thing or "he's been singing night after night" thing either. I'm not saying it is easy for him to 'perform' and sing, but I'm taking about the style he sings throughout the show. There are times where he is standing still in front of the mike and he still shouts out a lyric instead of singing it. And it's general too, how often do we hear him 'sing' poperly now?
And to be completely honest, if you are going to say about him singing night after night, maybe this is a bit harsh, but should they perform so many shows if it is going to mean his singing style has to change from being melodic to harsh kareoke?

Look, I'm not trying to bash dave at all, like I said, I think as a performer and as a lead singer, he is among the best there is, HOWEVER, his style since 2001 has changed and I don't think it is for the better. There are singers out there with less talent than him, but CHOOSE to sing in a better style than him. That is what I'm getting at. I'm not saying he can't sing, I'm saying that for some reason, he has changed his style to the point where he doesn't sound very good, almost an Elvis parody at times which is really sad because we all know that he CAN sing very, very well.
bluesilver
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby Princess Mononoke » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:53 pm

I know what you mean.

but the choice is his.
Princess Mononoke
DMMB Survivor

Postby bluesilver » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:59 pm

it absolutely is his choice and he has every right to sing however he wants to. My point was that I justy think it is a huge shame that (especially) when they seem to be getting very big again, people may listen to him on the tv etc and think "hmmm...he sounds like he's doing a bad Elvis impression" or worse "he can't sing".

I hope that in the future he decides to change his style and go back to singing properly instead of doing what he's doing now. There is so much talent in the bad, it would be a real shame if it isn't expressed properly. That's the best way I think I can explain it.
bluesilver
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby Princess Mononoke » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:05 pm

lets hope and support him now :) he needs it!
as I did it yesterday.
Princess Mononoke
DMMB Survivor

Postby Alzbeta » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:07 pm

bluesilver wrote:I'm saying that for some reason, he has changed his style to the point where he doesn't sound very good, almost an Elvis parody at times which is really sad because we all know that he CAN sing very, very well.

Okay. I'll start this by saying that I'm a firm believer in the Church of Gahan, a rabid fan, a Devotee, obsessive, take your pick. But I have to admit I've noticed this as well. Earlier you mentioned the bare recordings, and how expressive his voice can be]Paper Monsters[/i] wasn't terribly popular, but one of the reasons I love it like I do is because I feel it really showed his range a bit better than perhaps some other projects have.

I am hearing the little Elvis impersonation thing. I'm not entirely sure what it's about, and I really don't care for it. But I still believe the shows as a whole make up for the occasional... screech? :rolleyes: I dunno what you'd want to call it. Sometimes it sort of seems as if he forgets there's a mic there, and he really doesn't have to project his voice to the back of the venue by sheer force and will. Still, I know I'm never going to like 100% of anything, even if it is Depeche Mode, and I consider it a minor miracle that I can say with all sincerity that I absolutely love about 95% of their work. So I'll take the bad with the good, and hope for a return to more emotion-driven, expressive vocals in the near future.

(And as an aside, I'm going to go console myself with BOAG and the bare cut of Clean now, heh.)
It's my duty... I'm a missionary.
Useless drivel now on LJ & MySpace!
Alzbeta

Next

Return to Past Tours Forum (archive only)