sequencer attendants + cheerleaders

Talk about tours here.

sequencer attendants + cheerleaders

Postby rob3fish » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:32 pm

i've liked DM since i first heard "get the balance right". yet i saw them for the first time last week at wembley arena in london. i was impressed by the renovations. and i was happy enough with the show -- until about halfway through.

in the middle of a full-bodied song (kill me for forgetting which one), i realised that only the drummer was performing! that means that most of the track was either pre-recorded or sequenced! at that point i lost all interest in the rest of the show.

what's the point of a "live" concert if only about half of it is played live? it sounds just as good on my home stereo -- and it's a lot cheaper! call me old fashioned, but for my money i expect more than a performance of "sequencer attendants + cheerleaders".
rob3fish

Postby The_Moog » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:08 pm

rob3fish wrote:
in the middle of a full-bodied song... i realised that only the drummer was performing! that means that most of the track was either pre-recorded or sequenced! at that point i lost all interest in the rest of the show.

So What was Dave doing at the time?.. Knitting? .. And I guess Martin, Peter & Fletch were doing the Times Crossword?!Image

Of course sequencers were used. If they weren't, the number of extra keyboard players required on stage to produce the fantastic shows on this (and every) tour would mean you were watching the Depeche Mode Philharmonic Orchestra!!

If you had any idea about your subject matter, you would know that from the beginning DM used a tape on stage because the technology was not available/affordable to play all the parts live.
No part of the show is "recorded" on tape these days, and I can't understand anyone criticising a group of predominently electronic musicians for using sequencers. They are the tools of the trade!

Perhaps you would be happier in front of an old VHS of Rolf Harris playing a stylophone.. As my old school teacher used to say ... "You must try harder"
The_Moog

Postby Gothboy1 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:15 am

Or perhaps you just don't get it and never will. There are those that do and those that don't....save the seats for those that do.
Visit Dymaxion Vehicle http://www.myspace.com/273476107
Gothboy1

Postby WULLIE BOP » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:26 am

rob3fish vbmenu_register("postmenu_398422", true);

So why did u stay ??????????????????????????:confused:
WULLIE BOP

Postby The_Moog » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:33 pm

Read all about it..."Depeche Mode In top synth-based band use the latest sequencing technology shocker" (Fraggle Times, 11th April 2006):) :D
The_Moog

Return to Past Tours Forum (archive only)