DAVE LIVE IN PARIS !!! (SPOILERS)

A forum for Dave's "Paper Monsters" project.

Postby UselessAdvice » Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:36 am

This afternoon I am taking the express train to Paris for the concert at Olympia Theatre! Image

I am hoping to meet up with dutchbeetle, iriz76 and the rest of the Dutch gang! Image

So I am starting this thread for all kinds of comments before and after the concerts in Paris. It's gonna be one wild weekend! Image
UselessAdvice

Postby IFeeILoved » Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:55 am

oh lucky you you'll meet dutchbeetle Image say hi to her from us russian crazy girls me and Dusya please Image and to all the dutchies who've been to basildon this april Image
IFeeILoved

Postby UselessAdvice » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:38 am

The concert starts in 5 hours from now ...

My train leaves Brussels in just 1 hour!

"WE GOTTA GO !!!!" Image

"WE GOT TO GO !!!!" Image
UselessAdvice

Postby IFeeILoved » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:42 am

have a good trip Image
IFeeILoved

Postby illuminata » Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:46 pm

Tell us all about it when you come back!!!! Image
illuminata

Postby UselessAdvice » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:33 am

I saw both concerts in Paris. The first one in person and the second one live on TV (luckily we can get MCM here in Brussels). I hope BRAT will forgive me for using one French word to describe the concerts: "EXTRAORDINAIRE!" Image

I went to Friday's show with my gf and we had reserved seats up on the balcony (second row). We arrived at the Olympia at around 8pm and of course the place was already very full. Bought a couple of beers at an incredible 3.50 euros for 25 cl, but since Dave quit drinking, we can't complain to him about that! Image

The support band "NORD" came on stage at about 8.30 and played for around 30 minutes. A guitar rock band singing in French, influenced by the French band Indochine and the rockier numbers of The Cure. The response from the crowd was polite but rather subdued. Because everyone was saving their energy for Dave! Image

Dave came on stage soon after 9.30 and played his full 90 minutes set (including 2 encores). So as usual it was the 10 songs from Paper Monsters, plus the 7 DM "classics". The Olympia theatre was a perfect venue, with all standing downstairs, and seats up on the balcony (although most people were standing for most of the show). The hall is long and narrow with the stage at one end.

The audience was great and everyone was 100% into the songs. During the DM classics like WIMS and PJ the whole place was shaking up and down, and it felt like the balcony might collapse! Dave was in fine form (after a night off) and I would rate his vocal and overall performance as 101% Image

I was positively surprised by the performance of the band. I haven't heard any bootlegs from earlier in the tour, but I have read negative comments here on this board. In my opinion the whole band did a great job, and especially Victor on drums was awesome! Image

It's true that some of the DM songs are played slightly faster than usual. But for me the new version of Personal Jesus sounded great live, with great keyboard effects (deep bass sound plus the "whoosh" just before "Reach out and touch faith"). For me it was definitely not a "bunch of clowns" or "an amateur cover band" (both descriptions I have seen on this board).

to be continued ...
UselessAdvice

Postby UselessAdvice » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:35 am

... continued ...

On Saturday me and my gf decided to go shopping in the summer sales, and we had already seen some interesting shops near the Olympia. We took a couple of photos outside the front of the Olympia Theatre where they had put up huge neon letters spelling "DAVE GAHAN". Already at 2pm there were about 40 fans waiting by the doors, which were due to be opened at 7pm.

I went back to the Olympia entrance at around 4pm and there were already more than 100 fans waiting, including the DUB delegation from the Netherlands. It was my pleasure to go and get the girls a couple of bottles of water (but not with my money - to be honest) to help keep them alive for the long wait ahead. Luckily it was not a hot day, so I was confident they would survive!

Soon after 6pm, we had dinner just across the street from the Olympia in a restaurant called "Le Capucine" and in there we got talking to some other fans from Belgium and France who were going to see Dave.

Then we took the train back to Brussels and arrived home at 9.45pm. But the TV and video were not working because there was no electricity in our apartment. So I had to go down into the basement and turn the power back on (I think someone must have turned it off by accident). When I turned my TV on I saw that MCM Belgium was showing the concert live from Paris, and Dave was in the middle of singing "Bitter Apple". So I managed to record most of the concert (12 songs). I hope they will repeat it during the week so I can record the whole show.

It was funny watching the concert on TV, after attending the show in the same theatre the night before. I think the audience on Saturday was even more wild than on Friday. There seemed to be a real party mood! Many of the fans had been waiting for hours to get in, and the TV cameras made the crowd even more excited (I think half of the French fans had set their video recorders and they wanted to see themselves on TV).

Dave was clearly in a very good mood and was even talking and making jokes between songs, which he does not do very often. Once he took a banner from some fans in the crowd and held it up for everyone to see. It read: "HOLD ON DAVE - WE NEED YOU". Then later on he said "Ca va?" then "You didn't know I could speak French, did you?" Image

It was a great live broadcast, and the stereo sound was amazing coming through my hi-fi system. They showed the entire concert live including encores, with no commentary and no commercial breaks! I was sad to miss the first 5 songs - but at least I have the rest of the concert on tape (and hopefully in the coming days I will get the whole show).

The only problem was on songs like "Walking I.M.S." and "Personal Jesus", when the whole audience was jumping up and down and the balcony was shaking. This made it impossible for some of the TV cameras to get steady pictures of Dave. But luckily they had a lot of cameras, including on the stage and just in front of the stage.

I hope more fans will get a chance to see this concert. A DVD release would be wonderful - but I'm not sure if the picture quality is good enough, with all the shaking cameras. Maybe MUTE should bring out another limited edition of the Paper Monsters CD, together with the Live in Paris concert on DVD. Then we can all go out and buy the album again! Image

OK - That's enough - I GOTTA GO! Image
UselessAdvice

Postby concerthead » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:55 am

UselessAdvice, thank you for this detailed description, I was dying to know what happended there! Image I know what it means to sit in the sun and dehidrate to death 7 hours before the gate-opening! Image

I would have gone to both concerts if I were you, but it's good that at least you managed to get the second one on tape. I couldn't even see it on TV, since I haven't got a satelite dish Image
concerthead

Postby UselessAdvice » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:12 am

concerthead - I saw the Exciter Tour 3 times but I was not sure what to expect from the Paper Monsters Tour. I bought my tickets back in February, the first day they went on sale, before I had heard any of Dave's solo material. At that time only the first concert had been announced (The second date was only added after the first one had already sold out).

To be honest I am not so much of a fanatic that I need to see the same concert (identical setlist) in the same theatre 2 nights in a row. And don't forget that for every fan who goes to more than 1 show it means there are less tickets available for other fans. Dave played two nights in Paris, but that's not a lot of tickets for all the fans he has in France (plus Belgium and Holland).

Also I was taking my gf for a weekend in Paris, and she would have thought I was insane if I insisted on going to both concerts! Image
UselessAdvice

Postby concerthead » Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:06 am

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
To be honest I am not so much of a fanatic that I need to see the same concert (identical setlist) in the same theatre 2 nights in a row.

And don't forget that for every fan who goes to more than 1 show it means there are less tickets available for other fans.

Also I was taking my gf for a weekend in Paris, and she would have thought I was insane if I insisted on going to both concerts! Image<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

UA, you don't need to excuse yourself for your choice. I was not criticising you - just making a comment.
I *am* crazy enough to go to two consecutive shows - I went to 2 the two consecutive shows U2 had in Toronto during the Popmart tour. Unfortunately, two consecutive dM shows never happened in a theatre near me Image

Before I heard PM, I intended to go see Dave 4 times - twice in Moscow, the Kiev, then Budapest.

I didn't like PM that much, and decided to see Mart's gig in Paris instead and only go to one of Dave's concerts. So i did. And this was the perfect combination IMO.

You may think I am a selfish bitch, and I am Image, but I do not care how many fans miss the concert because I choose to see the gig/ same setlist twice or 100 times - when it comes to dM, It's all about ME. Image Not that I'm not a very charitable person otherwise...Image

The girfriend bit...that I can understand. Not wanting to torture her...that's very nice of you. Or was it not wanting her to stare for too long at Dave's ...well...let's say stage performance. j/j

So no need to act defensive, I only express my discontent when it comes to the decisions of the people I am supposed to manipulate and fail Image
concerthead

Next

Return to Dave Gahan - Paper Monsters