Who wrote better songs on PTA - Dave or Martin?

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Who wrote better songs on PTA - Dave or Martin?

Postby DeadofNight » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:54 am

I was really really impressed with the songs that Dave wrote on PTA...but I was wondering what most fans thought if you had to pick one or the other, who wrote the better songs on PTA?
DeadofNight

Postby Rodger2 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:29 am

martin wrote better lyrics. Dave had really nice compositions of sound.
Rodger2

Postby MelissaLovesGore » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:41 am

DeadofNight wrote:I was really really impressed with the songs that Dave wrote on PTA...but I was wondering what most fans thought if you had to pick one or the other, who wrote the better songs on PTA?

This album is PURRRRRRFEEECCCCIIOOOON! All the songs are perfect! I have fallen in love with Dave, he has really really impressed me because i was not fond of his solo album at all. I did like a few songs from it =0) His work on the album is just brilliant just as he is! I know the album is new but it's probably my 2nd favorite dm album, violator is still first =0) GOOD JOB everyone whom helped make PLAYING THE ANGEL ..... DM RULES!
Melissa R. Hedges
MelissaLovesGore
DMMB Survivor

Postby MelissaLovesGore » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:42 am

Sorry I got so excited that I couldn't spell correctly... i meant PURRFEEECCTIIOIN!
Melissa R. Hedges
MelissaLovesGore
DMMB Survivor

Postby nirbhao » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:22 am

Rodger2 wrote:martin wrote better lyrics. Dave had really nice compositions of sound.

agreed. Dave has terrible. TERRIBLE. lyrics. I still love his voice, and most of the lyrics are actually sympathetic and make a lot of sense, but they are simple to the point of being laughable. Maybe that's the genius? I don't know. Nothing's Impossible is the song on PTA that I like to sing to the most and it has amazing music, but John the Revelator is far more interesting, both contextually and melodically.

then again, I've adored Martin Gore for as long as I can remember, and there's no way dirty sticky floors can live up to that!
I don't claim to know where my holiness goes
nirbhao

Postby mad_butler » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:43 am

Well Martin's got more experience so... Martin but Dave's songs are just different because they've got a different feel to them. It's still a DM feel, just um... more... I don;t even know what I'm trying to say.
In a case like this I'll get away with it...
mad_butler

Postby mad_butler » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:47 am

nirbhao wrote:agreed. Dave has terrible. TERRIBLE. lyrics. I still love his voice, and most of the lyrics are actually sympathetic and make a lot of sense, but they are simple to the point of being laughable. Maybe that's the genius? I don't know. Nothing's Impossible is the song on PTA that I like to sing to the most and it has amazing music, but John the Revelator is far more interesting, both contextually and melodically.

then again, I've adored Martin Gore for as long as I can remember, and there's no way dirty sticky floors can live up to that!

ok that's mean lol come on, Dave's trying

besides, aren't a lot of Martin's lyrics very simple too? That's the appeal, I think, sometimes.

but I do agree, Mart's been the lyricist for 24 years so he knows what he's doing

that is not to say that I think Dave shouldn't have anymore songs on future albums (whenever and whatever they may be), I do want to see what he writes next
In a case like this I'll get away with it...
mad_butler

Postby hijinio » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:54 am

Without a doubt, I enjoy Dave & co's tracks a lot more. Why? I think the band had more freedom to play with them, change them, and make them DM songs. It's like Dave & co provided the foundation, and then everybody else jumped in and made some changes. It was a real collaborative effort. I think even Dave has said some of his tracks didn't end up at all like what he intended them to sound like; you really don't hear MLG say that about his songs anymore.

To me, Martin's songs aren't as interesting anymore because it seems like people don't deviate too much from what he wrote. So, you end up with less contributions and the same time of "bleep bloppy" elements over and over again. So, they end up sounding like MLG songs with Dave singing.

I don't want to delve too much into the Alan days, but I really think what made DM a strong band in the past is that Martin would provide the foundation for a song and then Alan & co. would reshape that song into something that was 1000x better. Now, it seems like Dave is filling that role.

Dave & Martin should really work on writing songs together. I know MLG has said he doesn't like doing this, but I think DM needs to keep doing something different to stay interesting. Letting Dave contribute songs was probably the most interesting thing they done in 10 years (since Alan left.)

Hiji
M-Halo - It's Electronic Rock:
http://www.mhalo.com/
hijinio
DMMB Survivor

Postby strangegirl » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:29 am

I think Dave did a great job including his songs on a DM album, I really like "suffer well", but Martin still the master, I love the lyrics on "Precious", one of the best songs of the album.
The Sweetest Perfection
strangegirl

Postby Robert23 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:40 am

Dave lyrics might be a little simple but they are nothing compared to the idiotic mind numbing lyrics of "Marcro".
Robert23
DMMB Veteran

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related