Official Thread For DM Fans Disappointed By PTA (No Bashers)

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Official Thread For DM Fans Disappointed By PTA (No Bashers)

Postby odditory » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:28 pm

Official thread for true fans disappointed by the new album Playing The Angel. You are invited to post your honest assessment of the album, without fear of persecution by the zealots.

To post in this thread you should consider yourself a true DM fan, and:

1) Have listened to all 12 tracks of Playing The Angel album with at least 128k MP3, CD, or better
2) Felt that, after listening at least a few times, the album left you disappointed if even slightly
3) Own many or all Depeche mode albums and love most or all of their body of work
4) Have gone to at least one of their live shows (assuming you live in an area they toured)

People that should PASS on this thread are:

-People that think all past, current and future DM material is to be treated with blind praise regardless of merit of the material, and that voicing any negative opinion isn't being a quote on quote "true fan"
-People that think this thread is simply about 'hating' or bashing on the band (WRONG)
-People that think 'downloading music' is wrong, let alone ahead of release date (useless argument up there with "pro-choice versus pro-life" and "tastes great/less filling" -- do it elsewhere. Real fans will buy the album anyway).
odditory

Postby dmkat » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:39 pm

I've just listened to it all the way through, and this is the first time I've ever been a little disappointed in the new DM album. Suffer Well is my favorite so far, followed by Precious. But the rest are going to take some getting used to. It sounds like they took The Dead of Night and ran with it throughout the entire album. What's with all the feedback and noise? Give me back the keyboards and melodies!

I did not like Dave's solo stuff a whole lot either, and PTA sounds like it was fashioned in a similar way. I don't know... it just seems so... mainstream?

This will in no way change my mind about buying the album, all the singles, and going to the concert, but I'm left wanting. It's such an odd feeling (never felt this with DM before) and I feel like I'm betraying my favorite band. I know they can't keep pushing out one Violator after another, but PTA was not the direction I was hoping DM would go in.

Maybe I just need to listen to it a few more times. But I've never had to do that with a DM album in the past. Or maybe I'm getting old. Combo of both, maybe?

It's still a really good album, but nothing close to Violator. If it sounds like any other DM album, I would say more like SoFaD because of all the noise and guitars. But it's not really like any of their other albums.
Like a cat dragged in from the rain... I'll be back for more.
dmkat
DMMB Survivor

Postby Ligufi » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:43 pm

A true DM devotee can't be dissapointed by PTA. They just CAN'T! :P
Ligufi

Postby Favorite Slave » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:03 pm

Absolutely agree. He just can`t.
Favorite Slave

Postby Wyzdom » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:05 pm

They have the right not to like it. Leave their thread alone so maybe we'll get less haters in our love threads.
Wyzdom

Postby devotee » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:23 pm

i also got the feeling, i need more, something's missing,(about the album), when i first read your thread, i thought another basher, but you explained yourself and you do make alot of sence, i just think we have been waiting so long for another dm album, getting hyped up and wanting this album pta, to be the one, but i personally think this album will grow on us, it is diffrernt, it has something new, remember, dm have always been pioneers ,they have always led the way thru there music, normally martin's writing would leave you guessing is it love ,life ,lust ,religion, sex, but as the years have gone on, we as fans are catching on, it's always been about there lives, (the bands), so there's no mystery,( for now) but maybe it's just me, i think they have opened another door, it's a different style, they mite lose some old fans, but will definitely attract some new ones.........this is a new begining for dm, i personally dont want another violator or sofad (both my favourite albums), it's been done,( and done well );) lets follow dm on the new path........it could been very interesting.....there music has always played a major part in my life, maybe they are just ahead of me......you never know.....(just my thoughts), pta is already growing on me, lillian"s very catchy and aptiut is darn good, so we have something already brewing hehehe:rolleyes: :cool: good thread.....
try walking in my shoes :icon_cool :icon_wink
devotee

Postby Neel1 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:15 pm

I think you people must be having a not so good sound system....If it's a 192Kbits mp3, you should at least listen to it on a good sound system....I've said this on another thread...The sound is a bit rough...But there is sweetness mingling in all way through...SO this is why the harsh sounds are very bearable...Try listening to it with headphones on a good sound system and you'll get a big surprise......ORGY of sounds is what you get....
Step out of your cage and onto the stage.
Neel1

Album Lacks Keyboard Parts

Postby Moda Rapida » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:28 pm

They really miss Alan Wilder man. I think that is why he left the band. They (Dave & Martin) wanted to go in a different direction (as in more Rock riffs and less composition and melody). Like the one fan said: "Where did the keyboards and melody go? All of these noises that hurt your ears. Before they used strange noises but they were all harmonious and all blended in. I like the album but was hoping for something more industrial and less rock-n-roll. I happen to love MFTM/VIOLATOR type of Depeche without all of the soulfull singing by Dave, and more dark, cold, thundering synth parts played instead.

Sorry to all of you Alan Haters out there. He really had the pulse of the Depeche sound.
Moda Rapida

Postby Tinwiel » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:28 pm

Ligufi wrote:A true DM devotee can't be dissapointed by PTA. They just CAN'T! :P

Eh.. what? You're being sarcastic, right? Define "true" then...

Good initiative to a thread! I was beginning to feel like we are very disliked in the other threads just because we don't praise everything that DM does, just because it is DM. And I AM too a "true" DM-fan! I love their music more than any other band ever!

I'm not going to write anymore right now, cause I've just written a post in one of the other threads, and I have to go to bed.. Funny thing is that two of my friends, both DM-fans, one of them is also a real music nerd, are also disappointed. None of us are saying that it's bad, but we we were still hoping for something better..
Tinwiel
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby Excitable » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:38 am

Neel1 wrote:I think you people must be having a not so good sound system....If it's a 192Kbits mp3, you should at least listen to it on a good sound system....I've said this on another thread...The sound is a bit rough...But there is sweetness mingling in all way through...SO this is why the harsh sounds are very bearable...Try listening to it with headphones on a good sound system and you'll get a big surprise......ORGY of sounds is what you get....

I think this is a very valid point. I listened to the Precious spoiler 2 months ago like most other people and have since watched the video and seen performances on TV but none of them compared to having the CD in my sticky hands today and playing the songs on a decent sound system. I have to say that the quality of the production, the layering of the tracks and the sheer power that comes across in Precious and Free bowls me over.

With regards the 'air of dissapointment' that people have been talking about in this thread I also have a theory on that.....

From what we have heard in the build up to this album release DM have been more together and feel better about this material than they have done for a long time. This differs from the last two albums, and I know some people disagree, where they have come out the back of of huge personel problems and maybe a lack of involvement in the music making process. They have said this themselves in recent interviews. On top of this we all have a lot more access to a lot more hype, hysteria and spoiler material via the internet than we have done in the past.

In the past we have simply waited patiently for the release of the album and perhaps caught snippets on a radio show or read articles in a magazine.

The result is not dis similar to the massive hype you get surrounding a Hollywood blockbuster film. You get bombarded with hype and shown all the best bits in the trailers and you can only be dissapointed in the final result because your simply filling in the gaps which never live up to the hype.

Now I think I speak for most DM fans when I say that when you buy a new DM you never instantly like every track...there always a few that you raise your eyebrows to and take some getting used to because they always try and intoduce some originality. So my theory is this....

Following some dissapointing aspects of the last two albums resulting from the circumstances in which they were made, the self confessed togetherness of the band in producing this album, the internet hype and the spoiler hype have built up the expectation levels of some of us beyond that point where we expect to have to get used to the new and no doubt original sounding material.

My advice to any one would be to dump or avoid the spoilers, drop your expectation levels below the Holy grail levels, buy the CD on the day of release and listen to it over and over again on a decent sound system for a week.....then see how you feel !!!!!!
Excitable
DMMB Survivor

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related