I think they should of named this album "Master of Disaster"

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

I think they should of named this album "Master of Disaster"

Postby Polish Prince » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:22 am

Well, this album will not sound anything like Violator (for those that are saying that some of the songs are). Although a lot sounds like, they tried to mix Personal Jesus with Enjoy the Silence. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Dave's voice has matured quite a bit. Synthesizers are sounding really retro, like someone is only playing preset Bleep and Bloop sounds. <o:p></o:p>

I know analog sounds wormer then digital, but come on?? I don't want to hear C-64 again. <o:p></o:p>

No sound really stands out, except for Mart's guitar. <o:p></o:p>

Anyways, back to my little review. <o:p></o:p>

Suffer Well - so far my favorite track on this album. Mart's guitar sounds awesome on this track. <o:p></o:p>

John the Revelator - I have no clue what they're trying to accomplish with this track? Sounds like a really bad Erasure tune. <o:p></o:p>

Nothing Impossible - Slow track, quite good.<o:p></o:p>

Sinners in me - was this supposed to be included on Paper Monsters, but haven’t made it to the album? <o:p></o:p>

Free - Sounds like good old DM. All synth, with the usual DM piano chord. Mart in the background. This track is O.K. <o:p></o:p>

I still have Lillian to listen to, but the above gave me a whole picture of the new album.<o:p></o:p>

There is no one with DM that can program synths anymore and layer sounds. Hold done......there is no one that can play an instrument!<o:p></o:p>

Most of the sounds are one hits or chords with some delay and reverb. Really basic bass lines and NO sound stand out. This album sounds much simpler then Speak & Spell. <o:p></o:p>

I've been listening to DM since '88 and I have to say this;<o:p></o:p>

DM R.I.P '81-'93.<o:p></o:p>

This is just going commercial now. They haven't put out anything, since ‘93 that would make me listen to those albums twice. Maybe the whole big hype about DM being back made me have big expectations? Or maybe there is so much better music out there these days? Or maybe they just could never make music??? I mean Martin CAN write, but he can’t play an instrument well. It seems like they always, needed someone good to make the music, and they have no one now. <o:p></o:p>

Playing the Angel just sucks!!! DM is not back, at least not with their drive to make something new. And push technology to its limit. <o:p></o:p>

Playing monophonic synths is not hard, but to program them is. <o:p></o:p>

I'm sorry if I offended any of you on this board, but in few years, we can all review this. People are not going to remember DM for Dream On or <o:p></o:p>

I feel loved. They're going to remember them for Personal Jesus, Somebody, People are People, Enjoy the Silence etc. You get the picture. <o:p></o:p>

I will not say that I want Alan back. Simply, because they had let him go without thinking, and he's probably laughing every time he hears their new album.<o:p></o:p>

Any who, I will not buy this album, simply, because it SUCKS!!!

Thanks to P2P we can make these decisions before we actually go to the store.
Am I the only one that sounds so negative about this album???

Polish Prince

Postby Polish Prince » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:25 am

Well, this album will not sound anything like Violator (for those that are saying that some of the songs are). Although a lot sounds like, they tried to mix Personal Jesus with Enjoy the Silence.
Dave's voice has matured quite a bit. Synthesizers are sounding really retro, like someone is only playing preset Bleep and Bloop sounds.
I know analog sounds wormer then digital, but come on?? I don't want to hear C-64 again.
No sound really stands out, except for Mart's guitar.
Anyways, back to my little review.
Suffer Well - so far my favorite track on this album. Mart's guitar sounds awesome on this track.
John the Revelator - I have no clue what they're trying to accomplish with this track? Sounds like a really bad Erasure tune.
Nothing Impossible - Slow track, quite good.
Sinners in me - was this supposed to be included on Paper Monsters, but haven’t made it to the album?
Free - Sounds like good old DM. All synth, with the usual DM piano chord. Mart in the background. This track is O.K.
I still have Lillian to listen to, but the above gave me a whole picture of the new album.
There is no one with DM that can program synths anymore and layer sounds. Hold done......there is no one that can play an instrument!
Most of the sounds are one hits or chords with some delay and reverb. Really basic bass lines and NO sound stand out. This album sounds much simpler then Speak & Spell.
I've been listening to DM since '88 and I have to say this;
DM R.I.P '81-'93.
This is just going commercial now. They haven't put out anything, since ‘93 that would make me listen to those albums twice. Maybe the whole big hype about DM being back made me have big expectations? Or maybe there is so much better music out there these days? Or maybe they just could never make music??? I mean Martin CAN write, but he can’t play an instrument well. It seems like they always, needed someone good to make the music, and they have no one now.
Playing the Angel just sucks!!! DM is not back, at least not with their drive to make something new. And push technology to its limit.
Playing monophonic synths is not hard, but to program them is.
I'm sorry if I offended any of you on this board, but in few years, we can all review this. People are not going to remember DM for Dream On or
I feel loved. They're going to remember them for Personal Jesus, Somebody, People are People, Enjoy the Silence etc. You get the picture.
I will not say that I want Alan back. Simply, because they had let him go without thinking, and he's probably laughing every time he hears their new album.
Any who, I will not buy this album, simply, because it SUCKS!!!
Thanks to P2P we can make these decisions before we actually go to the store.
Polish Prince

Postby emmadm101 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:33 am

Wow im quite gobsmacked to say the least

I'm glad you posted the thread again as i was struggling to read the first one

I think this topic is gonna be a good one for a discussion, i may post later as its 03.33 and im too tierd to think

Good Thread:D
"Come with me into the trees"-With you Dave,ANY DAY ;)
emmadm101

Location: I cannot be held responsible for my actions,In regards to ANY images of Dave circa 1986-1990(UK)

Postby Wyzdom » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:47 am

From the vibe i get so far, it's very different than the DM we know so far BUT the sound is old school DM. It may turn off some people. Especially the more noisy songs. But if you're a fan of In Your Memory, you'll die from awesomeness i suppose.

The only concern i have with the album is that i wonder if the song will get me and last as long as Violator or SOFAD ones. Melodies are more generic this time, i don't know if there's a futur definite classic in there. I don't know, the album may not be all that deep.
Wyzdom

Postby farsh » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:53 am

I know you guys have heard this time and time again, but they did a big mistake letting Alan go. I am hoping this album will prove me wrong and that they don't need Alan. So far I like love precious specially the remix! Pain that Im Used To is ok, need to listen to it 3 or 4 times to get it hooked and Suffer Well I love! So its a Two thumbs up for me from what I have heard, nothing like the last two albums which I thought we have lost DM for good.
farsh
DMMB Survivor

Postby 2-Skinny » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:53 am

I just grabbed a few shitty recordings of John The Revelator, Lillian, and Martyr for Love from P2P and they sound awesome! Simpler perhaps, but definately catchy. Can't wait for my Itunes preorder to come in!
2-Skinny
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby Polish Prince » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:55 am

You see, back then it was all analog, including drums so it all nicely blended in. Sequencers were only 16 notes, so you had to be creative to record a whole song. A lot on this album sounds like someone hit a key on the keyobard, tweeked few knobs, run that through some effects and recorded a sample of it.
I love Speak and Spell, but this album sounds nothing like it.
Polish Prince

Postby StrangeFan » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:07 am

@Polish Prince, I am just simply shaking my head at you for being so critical. Really take the stick out of your rear end. Be glad Depeche Mode have released a GREAT album!
"This is religion, there's no doubt I'm one of the devout."
StrangeFan

Postby Polish Prince » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:18 am

StrangeFan wrote:@Polish Prince, I am just simply shaking my head at you for being so critical. Really take the stick out of your rear end. Be glad Depeche Mode have released a GREAT album!

aaaaa you see, you missed my point about the album. Re-read my post.
Anyways, give me your opinion on what you had heard, and not just post one liners.

I'm going to sleep. I'm pretty sure by morning, half of the board will want to kill me.
Polish Prince

Postby Sir Machinery » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:20 am

Did he say he loves Speak and Spell but this album sounds nothing like it? THANK GOD!!!! If that's what he's comparing it to then no wonder he doesn't like it, because most of you have said it sounds like Violator meets either BC or Exciter......right up my alley baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like Speak and Spell too, but to expect them to ever do an album like that again is more than absurd.
I give in to sin, because you have to make this life livable.
Sir Machinery

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related