Nothing - A long time fan's perspective

Postby mtinaz » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:33 pm

Life
Is full of surprises
It advertises
Nothing

A perspective on the iTunes Pre-Sale

Thoughts on DM and past tours

I do not agree with the decisioin to only offer pre-sale pass codes to those who "submit" to installing iTunes and agree to Apple's terms and conditions. Moreover having to purchase an inferior quality recording of the latest release on top of that is just icing on the proverbial cake.

The only way to not have this type of thing happen in the future is to not "buy in" to it, but it's too late for that...too many people have already agreed to spend the $12 for a "potential" chance at getting a good seat to the show. I hope everyone realizes that by ordering the pre-sale you have been guaranteed ...nothing..., except a code that *might* get you pre-sale seats to the show. It should be interesting to see this unfold. I'm sure there will be people that come out of this unhappy, but keep in mind anyone who agrees to this are simply part of the masses.

I realize for a number of people iTunes and their iPod are the greatest thing since sliced bread, heck Apple has sold millions of iTunes, not to mention iPod devices. For those who happen to be in that group, I'm sure this was a no-brainer decision. I'm not suggesting that this group even entertain what I am saying, as they are happy with what they have been given for their hard earned dollar.

Perhaps I sound old fashioned. I do own a very small, portable media playback device and use it frequently. I, however, prefer to have the choice of what formats I listen to and what fidelity level I choose to listen to as well. iTunes fidelity level is comprable to FM stereo radio, which millions of people listen to in their car everday, although there are a number of us who listed to CDs in their car as well. Granted a car is not the best environment for listening to music, but I know myself and a number of others who spend plenty of quality time behind the wheel.

The message I am trying to get across is that not only Depeche Mode and their label, but all artists need to seriously consider a better way to make the different forms of their media easily accessible and easy to purchase. Why should I pay $12 for a lossy, half assed recording of a band's latest release, when I can get the same thing on a full fidelity, non-lossless CD for the same price and then have a choice of formats to encode it to for portability sake. I do still enjoy the album artwork as well and like to see what any given group has included in that respect. I just don't get the same level of satisfaction with the half assed version and a thumbnail of the album cover.

The other item I wanted to comment on is related to a discussion I had yesterday with a long time DM fan, who brought up an interesting point. A number of years ago I would and did go to great pains to aquire good seats to what had been great DM performances. The effort and dollars expended to make it happen were all worth it. In recent years, however, the shows have not been as good, the set lists repetitive and the overall quality level, in my opinion, has eroded. That being said, I had originally made a post commenting that I would probalby "buy in" to the pre-sale as well, but am not going to do that afterall. It's the only way I can disagree with what is being proposed.

I will still get tickets to the shows I plan on attending in Phoenix and Las Vegas, whether it's through TicketMaster, ebay or other type of broker. It is simply eaiser at this point in my life to pay the premium, get the tickets and be done with it. None of the bull$hit of installing software I don't want or buying media I don't want. This will probably be the last tour I see. I can almost predict with 90% certainty what the set list will be and the lack of any creative or original "surprises" will be evident as well, which is most unfortunate. I'm not bitter, all good things eventually come to an end. DM has been a part of the majority of my life and I wouldn't have it any other way. It will be a pleasure to see them on this tour, but alas the effort required moving forward will probably not be worth the reward.
mtinaz

Postby paintedsky » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:56 pm

I agree

but then again, I also feel the exact same way about *brokers* ;)
paintedsky

Postby housegirl » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:18 pm

I agree with everything you have said. However, I did purchase the presale album ONLY because the one show I want to go to most, Vegas, is at such a small venue that I want a jump on being able to buy tickets. Yes, I know buying the presale doesn't give me any sort of promise that I will get tickets, but for me it's a risk I'll take. I mean, what's $12.00? I would rather spend $12 now then try and get tickets off Ebay and pay triple the price of a ticket.

And yeap, I will still buy the cd (and album since I collect vinyl more then I do cd).
housegirl

Postby spes » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:19 pm

I think the 'disclaimer' said a "chance" to get up to four tickets for the tour. I plan on going to the Phoenix and Las Vegas shows with five other people...this option is not for us. I agree with you about the quality of sound...the iTunes download is easy and convenient but takes away from the "whole package" in my opinion. I would much rather not deal with a "chance" when it comes to seeing my favorite group perform. Obviously, travel arrangements need to be made quickly. Fans spend a good amount of money to see DM perform (I live four hours outside of Phoenix and it will take another 5 to get to Vegas). It is worth the expense but like you, I too disagree with the iTunes package.
spes

Postby mtinaz » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:26 pm

housegirl wrote:I agree with everything you have said. However, I did purchase the presale album ONLY because the one show I want to go to most, Vegas, is at such a small venue that I want a jump on being able to buy tickets. Yes, I know buying the presale doesn't give me any sort of promise that I will get tickets, but for me it's a risk I'll take. I mean, what's $12.00? I would rather spend $12 now then try and get tickets off Ebay and pay triple the price of a ticket.

And yeap, I will still buy the cd (and album since I collect vinyl more then I do cd).

Understood and considering The Joint only has about 2000 seats, you are wise to use whatever means necessary to secure tickets for that show. If I end up with tix to Vegas, we'll have to rally everyone together for a pre-concert get together!
mtinaz

Postby LilyKiss » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:39 pm

mtinaz,

First, I also prefer a hard copy of the album, a REAL, tangible product w/ artwork and all for $12.

It seems a lot of ppl have the impression that if they buy into this pre-sale/pre-order, they may have a better opportunity of getting decent seats.
That is, they have an opportunity at the pre-sale, and if that doesn't pan out so well, they'll have a second opportunity at the general sale. It is believed that by having two chances, they will increase their odds of getting the best seat possible.

If neither one of the sales are successful, they may then consider a "broker" or ebay or something.

I've noticed at least one person suggest... that it would be better to throw one's money away on a "broker" (i.e., scalper, extortionist, thief) than to waste it on a scheming company for "nothing."

This is a genuine question, as I'm not sure where I stand myself at this point...

Let's say, like some of us, you were still highly satisfied w/ the quality of the performances.
Would you rather pay $12 for the suggested possibility of getting a good seat... or would you rather give away much more to a scalper, who's probably in league w/ Ticketmaster anyway?

Also, I'm not very familiar w/ the whole "broker" scene, perhaps you can explain. I can't imagine one who isn't a scalper, thief, extortionist... but I mean, is there any such thing as a legal broker, one who doesn't charge outrageous prices... one who isn't actually part of the whole corrupt system that has been imposed on us?

These are HONEST questions, as I really don't understand this whole mess, and maybe you can shed some light. I don't want to get involved w/ the whole broker/scalper scene, nor can I afford to from what I understand. But at the same time, I don't want to buy into an evil scheme which is also preying upon ppls' emotions and devotions. That just makes me look really stupid.
Wanted to feel the joy
Flow between our lips
LilyKiss

Postby housegirl » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:01 pm

The one thing I wonder about... Will the code you are given for presale work at any of the shows listed that are participating in presale tickets. I'd be a little annoyed if say since I'm on the East Coast if my code only works at the shows in NYC, DC or FL (you get my drift) when the show I hope to buy presale for is Vegas.

Also, I wonder if it's just going be the same code for everyone- like PRECIOUS or something that will, I'm sure, make it's way around various message boards. I guess that really wouldn't happen tho since you are only allowed to buy 4 tickets total (2 per show). So I guess each code will be unique then... It's really all so confusing.

I won't be happy until I know I have tickets to the Vegas show. :)
housegirl

Postby mtinaz » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:10 pm

housegirl wrote:The one thing I wonder about... Will the code you are given for presale work at any of the shows listed that are participating in presale tickets. I'd be a little annoyed if say since I'm on the East Coast if my code only works at the shows in NYC, DC or FL (you get my drift) when the show I hope to buy presale for is Vegas.

Also, I wonder if it's just going be the same code for everyone- like PRECIOUS or something that will, I'm sure, make it's way around various message boards. I guess that really wouldn't happen tho since you are only allowed to buy 4 tickets total (2 per show). So I guess each code will be unique then... It's really all so confusing.

I won't be happy until I know I have tickets to the Vegas show. :)

If TicketMaster does this the way they did the U2 presale, which had it's share of problems, you will be given a unique code that can only be used once and will be good for whatever limits they set. You *should* be able to get tickets to any of the venues that participate, but again based on whatever limits are set. Everyone that pre-ordered will have to wait and see how they try it this time. I wish you well in getting your seats for the Vegas show.
mtinaz

Postby mtinaz » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:16 pm

LilyKiss wrote:mtinaz,

Let's say, like some of us, you were still highly satisfied w/ the quality of the performances.
Would you rather pay $12 for the suggested possibility of getting a good seat... or would you rather give away much more to a scalper, who's probably in league w/ Ticketmaster anyway?

Also, I'm not very familiar w/ the whole "broker" scene, perhaps you can explain. I can't imagine one who isn't a scalper, thief, extortionist... but I mean, is there any such thing as a legal broker, one who doesn't charge outrageous prices... one who isn't actually part of the whole corrupt system that has been imposed on us?

These are HONEST questions, as I really don't understand this whole mess, and maybe you can shed some light. I don't want to get involved w/ the whole broker/scalper scene, nor can I afford to from what I understand. But at the same time, I don't want to buy into an evil scheme which is also preying upon ppls' emotions and devotions. That just makes me look really stupid.

Agree on the $12 chance at better tickets, just not going to participate as a matter of principal.

Unfortunately, brokers, scalpers, quick-artists tend to have very high prices associated with their trade. Supply and demand are the reason they exist. I have found some great deals on excellent tickets on eBay, if it's legal in your state. I do have my limits and cannot believe what some people pay for tickets to a show, again, supply and demand.

Regarding your summary, only you can decide how you want to make your purchase. A number of people, including brokers, will be buying the pre-sale album in hopes of getting a code and good seats. Your intentions are good and for that let us hope that you end up with reasonably priced seats at the show you want to attend. I'm not sure if any of this helped clarify anything, but as with housegirl, I wish you well in your ticket search!
mtinaz

Postby windscreen » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:16 pm

Well lets say you bought into the pre sale, the tix you are offered are shite..you don't buy the tix. According to iTunes you have until the date of release to cancel your pre order. This could turn around and bite someone in da butt.
windscreen

Next

Return to Past Tours Forum (archive only)