The Singles Tour

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

The Singles Tour

Postby ncuxompon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:00 pm

hi all,

any ideas why The Singles Tour wasn't filmed and released? with all due respect, it was their best perfomance along with iconic Devotional. never before and never after have they delivered such punch in the sound, such great arrangements and such amazing joy on the stage. that was pure.

thanks for replies
ncuxompon

Re: The Singles Tour

Postby iminthezombieroom » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:28 pm

Great question I was there for their Chicago show, amazing show, Dave was still young into his sobriety but he sure put a lot of energy into the show, beautiful stuff. Dave is legendary they all are DM4LIFE
iminthezombieroom
DMMB Veteran

Postby halo eighteen » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:03 pm

I assume that filming a show takes a lot of preparation, funding, etc. and probably just getting the (reformed) band back together and on the road was stressful enough as it was without worrying about all of that. They weren't really in the habit of filming all their tours at that point, either.
halo eighteen

Postby jackdaw » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:57 am

halo eighteen wrote:I assume that filming a show takes a lot of preparation, funding, etc. and probably just getting the (reformed) band back together and on the road was stressful enough as it was without worrying about all of that. They weren't really in the habit of filming all their tours at that point, either.

Although they didn't put out an official release, did you know that MTV filmed the Cologne shows from that tour and broadcast a short film (about an hour long)? I think it's on YouTube, well worth a look.
jackdaw
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby ShabbyDoll » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:41 am

iminthezombieroom wrote:Great question I was there for their Chicago show, amazing show, Dave was still young into his sobriety but he sure put a lot of energy into the show, beautiful stuff. Dave is legendary they all are DM4LIFE

I was in Chicago for that one too. It was my first concert. 11th row at the then Rosemont Horizon.

It was utterly incredible. I just wish Alan had still been with the band then.
ShabbyDoll

Postby Coldmode » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:34 pm

Agree, it was an amazing show. Drove there from Iowa City. I remember some vendor was selling photos from that gig and while nice, I've always reflected that a recording would have been so much better. Though also get they had a lot on their plate at the time.
Coldmode

Postby ShabbyDoll » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:04 am

It would've been great to have a recording of it. They were on their game. I remember that Dave's voice sounded amazing; so rich (clearly the vocal lessons made his voice even better).

He was also doing some exciting and provocative dance moves and a friend of mine at the time said, "Oh my God. I love this guy. She was not a big DM fan before that but Dave won her over.
ShabbyDoll

Postby dicecrusher » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:26 pm

I attended The Singles Tour in Los Angeles at The Forum 20 years ago. What a show! The band had performed a few nights earlier at the KROQ Acoustic Christmas delivering a fantastic set that included an acoustic "Enjoy The Silence" and a full-on electric "Never Let Me Down Again" with Billy Corgan as the finale. I remember the crowd just going nuts at The Forum when the band took the stage. I think everyone knew that it had been a shaky few years for DM since the Devotional Tour, and it was mutual celebration having the band back on stage. Great memories. I do wish there was an official DVD and live album from that tour.
dicecrusher

Postby iminthezombieroom » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:28 pm

That would be cool to see that show again, but can we get over saturated with stuff, ummmmmm Nah give me all you got regarding DM, best group EVER

Dm4life
iminthezombieroom
DMMB Veteran

Postby Crewboy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:06 am

I'm not entirely sure (it's been 20 years) but I recall Martin being asked if The Singles Tour was going to be filmed.

He said something to the effect that there were no plans as the band felt they had filmed too many of their tours in the past. Its ironic that out of that era World Violation along with The Singles Tour weren't filmed.

Has me wondering if it's because one tour followed 101 while the other followed the debauchery of Devotional. I also wonder if they've since regretted it as ever tour since The Singles Tour has been filmed and released.

MTV Europe did film the Cologne Singles Tour shows though and a one hour broadcast special eventually aired.
Crewboy
DMMB Survivor

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related