Devotees going to Isle of Wight Festival

Discuss the Global Spirit Tour here.

Moderators: Pelicanito, steventoo, Admin

Re: Devotees going to Isle of Wight Festival

Postby patbangkok » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:15 pm

And I doubt they'll repeat that setlist for the other festivals around Europe. Maybe drop a couple of album tracks.
patbangkok

Postby Ultra1969 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Having been going to see DM live since the SOFAD tour thought i would share my experience of going to see DM at the Isle of Wight Festival. It was a bit of a last minute decision for me to go but i though it would be the last chance to the band in the UK for a while and the fact they were playing a Festival, something they don't do much, made it more intriguing. It was a bit of a hectic day as i drove down from up north around lunch time and arrived in Southampton around tea time and got the Jet Ferry across to the island. When i got there given conflicting advice from a couple of locals about what bus i needed to take, there was supposed to be a Festival bus but i couldn't find it. Got a bus to Newport and it was about a 15 minute walk from there met another DM fan on the way who felt that it was a bit of risk the band playing has he didn't think DM are a Festival kind of band and talked about how you would describe DM to the non-converted Festival goers "Dave's a bit like Mick Jagger with his moves on stage". When i got to the Festival it was heaving with people, a few people remarked that it was much busier than the previous day. There were a few people dotted about with DM t-shirts on. But a lot of people seemed to be there for James Bay and Liam Gallagher and both went down really well with the crowd. Liam specifically asked a Depeche Mode fan at the front what he should close his set with and gave them 3 choices Live Forever, Wonderwall or F off and the DM fan went for the latter option and Liam responding said ok i'll sing both of them.
After Mr Gallagher had finished his set i made my way towards the front of the stage and found it pretty easy to get closer to the front than at a normal DM concert. In fact it was the closest to the stage i have been at a DM concert so that made it worth going alone. DM came on stage at around 10.20pm, great seeming them start an outdoor gig when the sun had gone down. Dave asked everyone if they were having a good time and said "now you get to the best". However the band didn't get the best reaction from the crowd at first during the second song "It's No Good" Dave held the microphone up to the audience and got a poor response back and Martin seemed a bit uncomfortable and got a luke warm reaction after "The Things You Said". It wasn't until "Everything Counts" during the second half of the set that the crowd came alive and Dave said "Well, wakey wakey!" after that the rest of the gig was great with "Personal Jesus" and "NLMDA" being personal highlights the band also played "Just Can't Get Enough" which was i think was an obvious choice for a Festival setlist. Although i think DM chose the right setlist for a Festival (only 2 songs from their latest album) they should have played a couple of their bigger/more well know songs at the start of the gig a point which is noted by this review http://www.nme.com/blogs/festivals-blog ... ow-2343189.
Think the band will have learned a lot from this for the other festival shows they are playing in Europe this summer and will tweak the setlist a little. Overall glad i went, got to see the band close up and i personally thought it was much better than last years London Stadium gig. Incidentally i managed to get the last ferry back to Southampton at 2.15am, which was packed, don't know what i would have done if i had missed it as all the hotels were booked up on the island and drove back home in the early hours. So all in all a bit hectic but worth it to see DM for one final time on this tour.
Ultra1969

Postby Ultra1969 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:02 pm

Having been going to see DM live since the SOFAD tour thought i would share my experience of going to see DM at the Isle of Wight Festival. It was a bit of a last minute decision for me to go but i though it would be the last chance to the band in the UK for a while and the fact they were playing a Festival, something they don't do much, made it more intriguing. It was a bit of a hectic day as i drove down from up north around lunch time and arrived in Southampton around tea time and got the Jet Ferry across to the island. When i got there given conflicting advice from a couple of locals about what bus i needed to take, there was supposed to be a Festival bus but i couldn't find it. Got a bus to Newport and it was about a 15 minute walk from there met another DM fan on the way who felt that it was a bit of risk the band playing has he didn't think DM are a Festival kind of band and talked about how you would describe DM to the non-converted Festival goers "Dave's a bit like Mick Jagger with his moves on stage". When i got to the Festival it was heaving with people, a few people remarked that it was much busier than the previous day. There were a few people dotted about with DM t-shirts on. But a lot of people seemed to be there for James Bay and Liam Gallagher and both went down really well with the crowd. Liam specifically asked a Depeche Mode fan at the front what he should close his set with and gave them 3 choices Live Forever, Wonderwall or F off and the DM fan went for the latter option and Liam responding said ok i'll sing both of them.
After Mr Gallagher had finished his set i made my way towards the front of the stage and found it pretty easy to get closer to the front than at a normal DM concert. In fact it was the closest to the stage i have been at a DM concert so that made it worth going alone. DM came on stage at around 10.20pm, great seeming them start an outdoor gig when the sun had gone down. Dave asked everyone if they were having a good time and said "now you get to the best". However the band didn't get the best reaction from the crowd at first during the second song "It's No Good" Dave held the microphone up to the audience and got a poor response back and Martin seemed a bit uncomfortable and got a luke warm reaction after "The Things You Said". It wasn't until "Everything Counts" during the second half of the set that the crowd came alive and Dave said "Well, wakey wakey!" after that the rest of the gig was great with "Personal Jesus" and "NLMDA" being personal highlights the band also played "Just Can't Get Enough" which was i think was an obvious choice for a Festival setlist. Although i think DM chose the right setlist for a Festival (only 2 songs from their latest album) they should have played a couple of their bigger/more well know songs at the start of the gig a point which is noted by this review http://www.nme.com/blogs/festivals-blog ... ow-2343189.
Think the band will have learned a lot from this for the other festival shows they are playing in Europe this summer and will tweak the setlist a little. Overall glad i went, got to see the band close up and i personally thought it was much better than last years London Stadium gig. Incidentally i managed to get the last ferry back to Southampton at 2.15am, which was packed, don't know what i would have done if i had missed it as all the hotels were booked up on the island and drove back home in the early hours. So all in all a bit hectic but worth it to see DM for one final time on this tour.
Ultra1969

Postby Gahan crazy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:05 pm

A good review from The Independent, despite younger festival goers not 'getting it'.
Let me hear you speaking just for me...
Gahan crazy

Postby patbangkok » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:29 pm

Daily Telegraph weren't too enthusiastic!!

While Gallagher was strapped for time, Depeche Mode had almost two hours and no idea how to fill it. Any Oasis fans who had stuck around were rewarded to a set of uninvolving synth melancholia that saved all the hits till the end, driving away all but the most devoted. The band rarely make festival appearances, and it shows. Despite frontman Dave Gahan’s slithery charisma, when he crooned “we feel nothing inside” on their opening song (2017’s Going Backwards) the feeling was mutual. By the time they reached Eighties classic Everything Counts, many had already wandered off in search of a party
patbangkok

Postby patbangkok » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:31 pm

Gahan crazy wrote:A good review from The Independent, despite younger festival goers not 'getting it'.

Rather decent summing up...

Having Gallagher share the top spot with Depeche Mode was a genius move for fans of a certain age, but despite an unbelievably good set by the electro rockers the younger crowd failed to get into it, which made for a disjointed experience. Where some people were completely losing it as Dave Gahan, spectacular in flamboyant leathered gothic glory, threw everything into ‘Policy of Truth’ from 1990’s ‘Violator’, gangs of younger festival goers sat on the ground, simply not getting it.

Perhaps it would have helped had they thrown ‘Personal Jesus’ in sooner to whet the appetite of the unforgiving festival crowd, but it would have spoilt the flow of what was without a doubt the best standalone performance of the weekend, the band’s new music sounding as fresh, loud and polished as those now thirty year old classics.
patbangkok

Postby buckets of lube » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:51 am

I don't understand the complaints about DM only allowing 20 minutes of their set for television broadcast. Bands certainly are not obliged to share their sets.

And frankly, when the majority of festivals-goers are drunk lads going for Kasabian and Liam Gallagher, it's not a surprise that DM didn't receive an enthusiastic response. Fucking hell, they played Just Can't Get Enough for the first time on the tour, yet per all these reviewers they are supposed to pander to the crowd even more?
buckets of lube
DMMB Survivor

Postby patbangkok » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:53 am

^Agreed

I'd rather not see a whole show with such a funeral type crowd like that. I'd reckon even those 20mins was painful to most fans.

To the casuals they are supposed to be an 80s nostalgia act, remember?

Cheryl Cole or a choreographed show with XFactor types lip synching would have gone down better. And would have got the youngsters more excited.

It was refreshing not to see a huge sea of phone screens though
patbangkok

Postby depman » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:06 am

I've never liked oasis or gallagher anyway.
depman

Postby Ultra1969 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:54 am

Seems that Liam Gallagher is a fan of Dave's though, which is praise indeed coming from him as he seems to slag everyone off. https://twitter.com/liamgallagher/statu ... 28?lang=en
Ultra1969

PreviousNext

Return to Global Spirit Tour