Full album review

Talk about "MG", the new solo record from Martin Gore.

Full album review

Postby russellk » Fri May 15, 2015 10:47 pm

Kind of surprised no one started this. Anyway, I love the album! If Delta Machine had sounded half as good as this, it would have been twice as good! Maybe it's because Martin was doing this for his own amusement, and wasn't concerned about sounding a certain way, but this is so much better than most of his recent output. If only he could approach DM albums with the same attitude! And I think he's proven he doesn't need any stinking producers! Keeping this short for now, but I thought the overall sound was very European. I was hearing things that made me think of other, more underground bands, like the Legendary Pink Dots and even some Skinny Puppy! It sounds like he's returned to his roots, like his Berlin days. Love it! Now picture it with words sung by Dave, and this would be one of the best DM albums ever!
russellk

Re: Full album review

Postby Shadowman82 » Sat May 16, 2015 12:04 am

I do also feel Martin was much more successfull in creating musical atmosphere here than on Delta Machine .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby gavakagav » Tue May 19, 2015 12:07 pm

been listening to this a lot at work, loving it, distracted by it, lost in it. I hear some Kraftwerk influence, but also Detroit guys like Juan Atkins. It's pretty soulful and in places downright sleazy. Sometimes unsettling, sometimes peaceful, often within the same track. dreaming. I usually forget it's Martin, by the time I'm a few tracks in. It's always night time, always beautiful, always looking out over the city, in the streets. Is it construction time again?
gavakagav

Postby tex » Thu May 21, 2015 7:20 pm

In my opinion, this albums proves that Mart is the overall better musician than Alan. I know that there are some DM fans that laughed at other fans that suggested that Mart should produce a DM album. I know that many DM fans said that DM needs to find another Alan type of musician to help the band create more atmosphere in the music and such. I think that many fans thought that Mart couldn't create rich, layered, textured, dark, atmospheric, etc. music.

However, some fans forget about Mart's contributions on Speak & Spell and how he wrote all of A Broken Frame. Mart has proven back then that he could create layered, dark, and atmospheric music. All a fan needs to do is check out Nothing To Fear to hear that textured, atmospheric, and dark sound. So, it's not like the keyboards are some strange and foreign object to Mar. Plus, some fans forget that it was Mart that attended an Einsturzende Neubauten concert and wanted the next DM album, Construction Time Again, to have more of an industrial sound. I just think that Mart wanted to make different type of music as he got older. He wanted to add more guitars to the msuic and to add more of a blues feel to the music. He then wanted to make more minimalist type of electro music. For many fans, they didn't like the musical direction that Mart went on after Alan left the band.

It's amazing how well Mart can sing, how well he can write such deep and thought-provoking lyrics, how well he can play the guitar (even though he's not a Steve Vai on guitar), how well he can make layered, dark and atmospheric music, how well he can create memorable and catchy vocal melodies, etc. I know that Alan penned some songs for DM,, wrote the lyrics, and created vocal melodies for these songs and that he even sang vocals on those demos, but in my opinion, Mart is a far more gifted singer, lyricist, and vocal melody maker than Alan. Even though Alan can play the drums and play the classical piano, Mart can hold his own on the guitar, and as MG proves, Mart certainly knows his way around keyboards just as well as Alan can, in my opinion. I'll take a musician like Mart over a musician like Alan any day.
tex
DMMB Survivor

Postby Shadowman82 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:40 am

Obviously Martin is the better songwriter than Alan , Alan is a better technical musician and yes still a better arranger . That being said Martin is clearly not bad at all when it comes to arranging . He just seems to get lazy on DM Albums for some reason .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby russellk » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:47 am

Just wanted to reply to what Tex said about Martin being a better musician than Alan. And BTW, there's nothing hostile in this, just some quibbling. As a musician myself, who has sung in classical choirs, majored in music, etc., it has always struck as bizarre how technically proficient musicians who know their craft inside and out, have no trouble with music theory, couldn't write an original note to save their lives. So I agree that Martin is by far the better song writer, even though he is by no means the better trained. Alan is a classically trained musician, who could probably play any music you threw at him, and yet look at his Recoil albums; they got worse and worse. I always said it's like he's in search of a song. Some people just have an innate ability to write music, and training has little to do with it. Martin is simply a natural, but Alan is technically the better musician. The two of them together created a perfect whole.
russellk

Postby starrsky » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:43 am

late hearing it... blown away
starrsky

Postby Ultrastate » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:36 pm

tex wrote:In my opinion, this albums proves that Mart is the overall better musician than Alan.

That's a very suprising conclusion to come to for me. I've only just discovered this album and there isn't a lot of musicianship on it - it's basically a lot of sound manipulation and production to create atmospheres with very little playing that isn't above basic level. That doesn't mean I don't like it, but you don't need to be an accomplished musician to compose tracks like this.

I think 'Crowly' is my favourite but it's not an album I'll be returning to as most of the tracks aren't very involving for me.
Ultrastate
DMMB Veteran

Postby TardisGirl4Gore » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:19 am

Martin is a god. LOL. whatever everyone. I play this cd on repeat it is massively good for the soul. try it.
TardisGirl4Gore

Postby bailey delta » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:13 pm

I love instrumentals and overall do like the album, but felt some of it lacked feeling.
Europa Hymn, Elk and Stealth I really enjoyed.
M Gore is my favourite song writer and DM my favourite band, but I felt it didnt seem maybe dark enough in its feeling and a bit empty in places.

If you like this album, other albums that I felt had some good enjoyable tunes and I think are well worth a listen -
Airmech - Front Line Assembly
Ghosts - Nine Inch Nails
Ambient Selection Volume 2 - Aphex Twin
bailey delta
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Next

Return to MG