SOTU in future tours...

Discuss all topics relating to the 2009 Depeche Mode tour!

Postby comatose almost » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:13 pm

"Corrupt" should have been played during TOTU and should be on the setlist going forward. But I wouldn't hold out hope. They won't have room for it as the setlist will be comprised of singles again. Be prepared to listen to Policy of Truth, Personal Jesus, Enjoy the Silence, I Feel You, Precious and Wrong over and over. There are, albeit, those singles that I never get tired of; unlike the aforementioned. For instance, Never Let me Down Again, Stripped, Walking in My Shoes.

In addition, "The Sun and The Moon and The Stars" should have been included on the album and I truly hope Martin plays it live in the future.
comatose almost
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby Shadowman82 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:33 pm

Yeah Corrupt would have been nice . To be fair one does notice that when they tend to play new tracks from the current album the crowd reaction is usually much more subdued than when they play those old classics . That I guess is the downside of having such a large and diverse fan base , you have to try and please them all .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby Dm-angel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:57 am

Shadowman82 wrote:Yeah Corrupt would have been nice . To be fair one does notice that when they tend to play new tracks from the current album the crowd reaction is usually much more subdued than when they play those old classics . That I guess is the downside of having such a large and diverse fan base , you have to try and please them all .

That's so true...........they can't please everyone, everytime with their setlist.

That's the thing we all have our "all time favorite songs" which we want to hear live....But are list of songs might be different from another fan..Or the Band themselfs

So what ever DM choose it might be the songs we don't like as much or ones we heard to many time..

Or we might be very lucky and they play all our favorite songs.

Really it's the luck of the draw if they pick the ones we want..

I wouldn't like to have this job of picking the songs...

Poor Dm it must be such a hard thing to do when they have so many fantastic songs to choose from...
Light will always shine in the heart of you..:cool:
Dm-angel

Postby Dazza1971 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:19 am

Shadowman82 wrote:Yeah Corrupt would have been nice . To be fair one does notice that when they tend to play new tracks from the current album the crowd reaction is usually much more subdued than when they play those old classics . That I guess is the downside of having such a large and diverse fan base , you have to try and please them all .

But then I guess that's the same for any band that's been going for so long, I know U2 would have the same problem. But I don't think it's a slight on the current material, if that makes sense?
Something beautiful is happening inside for me....
Dazza1971

Postby devotee » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:00 pm

and great dissapointment

but hey, its grand to dream in style ;-)
try walking in my shoes :icon_cool :icon_wink
devotee

Postby Shadowman82 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Dazza1971 wrote:But then I guess that's the same for any band that's been going for so long, I know U2 would have the same problem. But I don't think it's a slight on the current material, if that makes sense?

Actually I think with U2 it probably is a slight on the current material . With DM .... I think their new material is still great but I do have to admit it's not always up to the quality of their old days . That being said there are several tracks on their most recent releases that I like more than some of their so called classics .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby Big Muff » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:46 pm

I think Wrong will be a mainstay, not sure about the rest of the album. Possibly In Chains. Peace proved to be too difficult to do live. I have never seen the band perform People are People in concert! I know they played the heck out of it from 84 to 88, but I never saw them. I know the band aren't fans of that song, but for most of us in America, that is how we discovered DM!
Big Muff

Postby Shadowman82 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:45 pm

Hahaha I don't really think People are People is such a great song either . But it's been a while since it was played live .

Another thing that bugs me and they've done that on the last tour as well is how in the later legs of their tours they play less tracks from the new album and play more of their old staples again . What's up with that ? Do they have so little confidence in their new material ?

Plus as far as old staples are concerned if I compare the set list to what it was when I saw them in Toronto with the DVD why did they remove "Strangelove" and " Master and Servant" ? Both of these are tracks they haven't played live that much in more recent tours but no they had to go and replace them with old songs they play all the time .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby vdmin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:20 am

I guess when you have so many songs to choose from it gets difficult. But maybe there is truth in that that people tend to like more the old songs just because they are more familier and i guess that's a general phsycology for a lot other stuff. Maybe that's why a lot of singers recycle over and over again one and the same sound, or make covers of old familier songs just to make hits.
But I am sure that songs like Precious and Wrong will also become favourite classics if they are played long enough like Home for example wich is relatively new track but is big as Question of lust. I guess other songs from the new albums like Suffer well, John the revelator, Hole to feed, In chains, Free love, Dream on ect. can also become loved classics if the band choose to play them more but I still feel young and fresh as a person and a fan and whatever they they sing in the future tours I'll be happy. I'll think about it when I start to get old and bored and start complaining for everything, maybe I'll move on to something that will excites me then.
As for the lenght of the set list, I think they shortened it because the stadium tour was over and they started play smaller venues and most of the cities in the winter leg were repeated.
vdmin
DMMB Survivor

Postby Dazza1971 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:37 am

Big Muff wrote:I think Wrong will be a mainstay, not sure about the rest of the album. Possibly In Chains. Peace proved to be too difficult to do live. I have never seen the band perform People are People in concert! I know they played the heck out of it from 84 to 88, but I never saw them. I know the band aren't fans of that song, but for most of us in America, that is how we discovered DM!

I'm afraid to say I'm old enough to say I've seen them play People are People on the Some Great Reward Tour in November '84...Never thought it would be a rare moment.
Something beautiful is happening inside for me....
Dazza1971

PreviousNext

Return to Tour Of The Universe 2009