A Pain That I'm Used To or Wrong?

Discuss all topics relating to the 2009 Depeche Mode tour!

Postby CrniBombarder » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:04 pm

Gahandi wrote:Despiste whatever song the band might choose to open their set with, it would be nice if there would be a little more build-up surrounding their entrance onto the stage.

Yes, I think so too.
As an album opener In Chains worked great for me, but I was so impressed with A Pain That I'm Used To on their previous tour, and I could see Dave enjoying more on that one.
But then again I enjoyed this tour much more, it was truly amazing!
Moved by a higher love
CrniBombarder

Postby adelemitch » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:29 am

Haven't concert openers generally been songs from the album that the tour is promoting?

Having said that APTIAUT is so full of energy from the word go that it would be hard to not be up for it from the start.

I agree with the build up, the band casually strolling onto stage is not the most awe enspiring entrance. I would prefer pitch black and then an explosion of lights from the first note/word, which would work perfectly with either APTIAUT or Wrong
YOU could go whiter.

You could go whiter!:eek: I'm almost blind here
adelemitch

Postby We're flying high » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:15 pm

I agree that A Pain That I'm Used To is a great opener, but what about Something to do - full of energy right from the start - just take a look at Live in Hamburg 1984

But I also agree that the opener probably should be a new song

But if not - I would prefer Something to do
Your pretty dress is oil stained
From working too hard
For too little
We're flying high

Postby BigAl » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:01 pm

I loved the start of the PTA tour when siren/guitar sound of APTIUT kicked in but that really worked because of the "I want it all" intro track. I think they could have started with Wrong if they'd created some cool atmos track first. Though, for me nothing will beat the noisy drama of Pimpf followed the stomping beat of BTW . . . aaahhh . . . I'm back there now . . . happy days.
I can see the pain that you’re frightened of...
BigAl
DMMB Veteran

Postby noxis93 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:19 pm

Well, my first concert was TOTU in Zagreb, but I saw videos from TTA and I think APTIUT is far better. However TOTU was a far slower and calmer concert (no happy SAS era songs at all) than TTA. And I guess that made for far slower start and no first kick at all.
Thank you :)
noxis93

Postby Gahan crazy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:17 pm

djsunyc wrote:which track do you feel is a better concert starter:

A Pain That I'm Used To

or

Wrong?

I like both songs, but I think APTIUT is a better concert starter.
Let me hear you speaking just for me...
Gahan crazy

Postby GizzUK » Sat May 08, 2010 9:33 am

a pain that im used to
Gizz Recordings - a place for freaks to dance. http://www.freewebs.com/gizzuk
GizzUK

Postby sisterofnight25 » Sat May 08, 2010 5:52 pm

A pain that I used to is an great concert starter, it has a lot of energy and the loud sound of guitar!
I am you and you are me
sisterofnight25
DMMB Veteran

Postby little flower » Sun May 09, 2010 10:19 pm

acinommoni wrote:APTIUT is a great opener!

I also rekon this, although whatever one is chosen needs to keep the momento and not decaying. The beginning in Depeche songs usually is promissing.
«I'm a missionary»
little flower

Postby Violated 66 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:20 pm

Gahan crazy wrote:I like both songs, but I think APTIUT is a better concert starter.

I agree with you. Wrong could have been great, although, as has already been said, it would have needed to have been preceeded with some sort of intro whilst the band got on stage.
It's very easy to think back to the days of MFTM, Devotional and the amazingly memorable openers those shows had, but, as always, I'm a firm believer in it really being up to the band how they evolve their live tours.
I was highly satisfied with In Chains, it's not their most rip roaring track from SOTU, but I think that most of us had guessed that it would be their opener long before the tour started. :)
TOTU 09-10 - Finally I've found that I belong here
Violated 66

PreviousNext

Return to Tour Of The Universe 2009