The biggest "gripe" you have with SOTU

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Postby EnglishMuffin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:06 pm

JSJ wrote:Changes?

-Get rid of the predictable lyrics in the awful Depeche-does-bossanova Jezebel;
-Do something a bit different with the old analogue sounds, because others were going back to those things a few years ago. I love the noises themselves, but DM have used them lazily I think and not pushed the boundsries like they used to. Peace is the best example of this. I love the noise, as already said, but they've been there and done that (listen to the 'bouncy' bass in Shout? Rio Mix);
-For the love of God, stop the pointless instrumentals!;
-Speed the vocal tracks up, they sound like a slower tempo than the songs themselves;
-Re-write the laughably bad "It wasn't me..." bit in Perfect, as it drags an otherwise really good track down.

I do really like parts of it (Fragile Tension, Miles Away and the start of Little Soul) which I wouldn't change, but the highlights are few and far between, and overall I reckon it's their weakest album since A Broken Frame.

I could not agree more with your comments! Except about Jezebel as it fits the direction of the song. And as for all this apparent use of analogue gear there is still tons and tons of Reaktor and a few NI soft synths in there.... some of the same as PTA. Yes many others have done the analogue route a couple of years ago. If Mode want to put a new twist on Retro.... SAMPLES... be creative... but not to make another BC or SGR though.
EnglishMuffin

Postby Katz » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:29 pm

I wouldn't say it was a gripe (cos I'm loving SOTU since first hearing it this week). But I've kind of got used to Martin and his bluesy guitar these last few years......kind of miss it now it's not that prominient on SOTU.
NZ fan
Katz
DMMB Survivor

Peace

Postby UselessAdvice » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:14 pm

Hydrology wrote:For me its the song Peace - theres other songs I find on the album equally weak, but this is a song that I would be embarrassed to play in front of friends and family.

The worst part is that they are supposed to be releasing Peace as the next single! So I will have to stop listening to the radio and tell all my friends that this is by a different Depeche Mode. Not the same band I have been raving about for the past 26-odd years! :cool:

But perhaps even worse than Peace is Miles Away / The Truth Is It is what I would call a steaming turd of a track. Should have been replaced by Light. Or Ghost. Or Oh Well.
:cool: Cool video & free download: Blind Side by Hybrid
UselessAdvice

Postby MartinGoreBoy101 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:21 pm

The original poster asks for the BIGGEST "pet peeve" or gripe (not a gigantic list of them) so I'll play along......

COME BACK
MartinGoreBoy101
DMMB Survivor

Postby Big Muff » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:33 pm

UselessAdvice wrote:The worst part is that they are supposed to be releasing Peace as the next single! So I will have to stop listening to the radio and tell all my friends that this is by a different Depeche Mode. Not the same band I have been raving about for the past 26-odd years! :cool:

But perhaps even worse than Peace is Miles Away / The Truth Is It is what I would call a steaming turd of a track. Should have been replaced by Light. Or Ghost. Or Oh Well.

Not really sure why people are complaining, but I guess thats what we all do... I would agree that at this moment, I am not a fan of PEACE, but MILES AWAY is a great track.

Gripe? Oh well, Light, and Ghost were not apart of the original release!!! Oh Well reminds me a LOT of SEA OF SIN!
Big Muff

Postby lover born to suffer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:53 pm

Well...
I agree to who says that it needs energy...because there is not any strong track, I think. For example, "Wrong" is rude and wonderful, but it always have the same quite slow rythm, you can scream how much you want to express your desperation, and I think that a great work has been made by Dave, but it misses rythm!
"Precious" was much more sweeter than "Wrong", of course, but it had a rythm.
That's why I enjoyed "In sympathy".
Then, I was a bit disappointed of "Come Back": the live version was much better, because, guys, we're speaking of sweet love:"Come back, come back to me...I have been waiting patiently": the patience is not a rocky thing, it's something sweet, soft, in my opinion.
peace will come to me...just wait and see...
lover born to suffer
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby Krendall! » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:14 pm

Dave's high note in "Peace". Ugh....
Krendall!

Postby Sin_HammersmithOdeon1984 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:34 pm

Korea Insincere wrote:It ain't long enough.

haha..

It's *too* long. All 18 tracks do not fit on one CD (with bonus tracks)
...can synths touch your soul? Well yes, depeche powered...
Sin_HammersmithOdeon1984

Postby devotee » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:49 pm

Ryan. wrote:I much prefer the demo of "Come Back" that leaked along with "Hole To Feed" than the one on the demo disc.

could not agree more....:-( which is so sad.....

ok, i have finally got my hands on my own copy of sotu.......
well....what can i say....lets start of with me saying that i am a huge mode fan and i have literally travelled the world to watch there concerts...(they are my boys)

so in saying that....

i am abit (maybe more than abit) dissapointed with this album..
dont get me wrong, the more i listen the more it grows on me,
but for the past few albums mode has released, especially the last 2 ,
i feel they are lacking something.....or got something that does not belong...

and here is what i feel the problem is.....ben hillier as producer..

he just does not get mode or he is trying to pull them in another dierction which i dont like...i listen to this album and i just keep getting the feeling its not done yet...all the songs are there for the taking...but just not by ben hillier....he unfortunately just does not do it for me ...

bring back flood, gareth jones, brian eno, dan millier, even bring in brat and our own mega mixer dominatrix into mix, (the next album), go back to what worked. (do i dare even suggest bringing back alan wilder, not as a band member, but as a producer and let him produce the music.)...
i know mode are pioneers in this field of music, and i really to appreciate the fact that they still enjoying bringing out albums (lucky us)...but when i find myself, playing the mix versions by the fans on certain internet sites than listening to the orginal album version then i think something is a miss......(come back studio mix is brilliant , raw and powerful, dominatrix mix is also mind blowing)......

i hope i'm not coming across like a misreable moaner...
i just want the mode that made me feel there music..., the emotion, the rawness, the atmosphere..the vibe and unfortunately....this album has just not done it for me....:(

on a positive note, i will be trying to go see them at the end of the year in europe..(yes there is a name for people like me, hypocrits :rolleyes:)
nobody can argue about there live performances...they kick ass...:cool:

anybody feel the same....about this album....
glad its out, but alittle let down by the end product..
boot hillier out and bring in some boys that know whats best for mode..
flood and co........:D
try walking in my shoes :icon_cool :icon_wink
devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Depeche Mode Related