The biggest "gripe" you have with SOTU

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

The biggest "gripe" you have with SOTU

Postby Hydrology » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:18 am

Ok to counteract the other thread I started, and this is not just for those who are disappointed by the album as a whole, but rather a discussion about what you wish could be changed if you had the power to do so with SOTU. Rather than list all the things you think are wrong with the album, whats your biggest pet peeve?

For me its the song Peace - theres other songs I find on the album equally weak, but this is a song that I would be embarrassed to play in front of friends and family. I have no problem with the new found optimism taking over the band (I love Get Right With Me for example which had a very upbeat positive vibe) but the combination of dodgy lyrics and silly chorus just push this one over the edge.
Hydrology

Postby DMFan68 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:21 am

Like I have been saying and it's on my own thread. No interludes between songs!
No wind sounds or voices or violins!! You know what I mean!
DMFan68

Postby chengdu » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:31 am

The artwork is uninspired (could have written ugly but that's mean) .
Hopefully the books are making up for that though.

It's a bit to slow, I would like to have had a few songs like Oh Well on there to spice it up.

But, as those who read my review know on the whole I'm quite pleased with SOTU but it could have been better, no doubt.

Daniel
chengdu
DMMB Elder

Postby basty_goofy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:29 am

-The artwork. Corbijn did a really botched job. Maybe they should have gone for Brian Griffin.
-The astrology references in Wrong. This is supposed to be an album with the Universe theme, science and all that. Not to mention they nailed the science thing with Perfect, Little Soul. Singularities and all that...
basty_goofy

Postby Phoule » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:54 am

PTA's campaign made me cringe. The "Depeche Mode" logo was great, and even the feather figure worked, but the overall design was horrid, IMO.

When I first saw SOTU's cover art, I felt that pain-in-my-eyes again. Too simple. font clashing and colors just didn't jive. The Box revealed more of the direction plus some good photo books, and that helped gain a lot of favor back, but I expected more. I would've insisted on some metallic inks in the books. Music: 8/10, Art & Design: 6/10
Phoule

Postby JSJ » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:36 pm

Changes?

-Get rid of the predictable lyrics in the awful Depeche-does-bossanova Jezebel;
-Do something a bit different with the old analogue sounds, because others were going back to those things a few years ago. I love the noises themselves, but DM have used them lazily I think and not pushed the boundsries like they used to. Peace is the best example of this. I love the noise, as already said, but they've been there and done that (listen to the 'bouncy' bass in Shout? Rio Mix);
-For the love of God, stop the pointless instrumentals!;
-Speed the vocal tracks up, they sound like a slower tempo than the songs themselves;
-Re-write the laughably bad "It wasn't me..." bit in Perfect, as it drags an otherwise really good track down.

I do really like parts of it (Fragile Tension, Miles Away and the start of Little Soul) which I wouldn't change, but the highlights are few and far between, and overall I reckon it's their weakest album since A Broken Frame.
And finally...Vince Clarke started DM. No VC=No DM. Comprendez? :cool:
JSJ

Postby sensoria » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:09 pm

The best from DM for a long while, but needs some more oompphhh
Waveform Generator
sensoria

Postby Ryan. » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:10 pm

I much prefer the demo of "Come Back" that leaked along with "Hole To Feed" than the one on the demo disc.
I Luciferi, resistance of one.http://www.nin-au.com/
Ryan.
DMMB Veteran

Postby Tioneb » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:36 pm

- Artwork. I hate it. The sphere with the stripes is not the actual problem; it's rather the cheap minimalism in which it is embedded (look, e.g., at the awful and uninspired font used for the title on the cover)
- Come Back. It sounds like an Hourglass leftover and the noisy and uninspired production on it emphasizes this instead of improving its integration in the album.
- Fragile Tension would have been better with vocals pushed forward.
- Little Soul missed the chance to be as good as Waiting for the Night. Too much haste and tension in the way it is sung and too fast tempo... this song should breathe, not wheeze.
- Globally speaking, the album lacks some brightness, imho.
Tioneb
DMMB Veteran

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related