How do you like hourglass now?

Discuss Dave's "Hourglass" solo project here.

Postby Mrs.Cellophane » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:41 am

*thumbs up!!!*;)
Mrs.Cellophane

Postby <3 DM <3 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:17 pm

Hourglass - cool thing .
I liked it very!
I'm gonna take my time
I have all the time in the world :cool:
<3 DM <3

Postby carolinap » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:17 pm

I think it's a great album. I had it for a while, but just started to listen to it last week!
Stupid me! I just can't get it out of my head now! Dave did just a great job with this album!
carolinap

Postby Katz » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:15 am

I prefer Hourglass now - but I think it would be hard not to like it MORE as, from my experience, the more you play something, the more it grows on you. However, in order to not let that sway my opinion, my general impression is that is an OK album, with 2'stand out' tracks: 'Saw Something', 'Kingdom' - which are very good and with better promotion, could have done well chartwise.

'Use You' - very Glam Rock inspired and sometimes a bit OTT with the use of electronics) is catchy and ok.

Regarding '21 Days' and 'Miracles' - (I do not like the "I'm just afraid of losing you" line - Dave sounds like an old man with a croaky voice - a bit of a turn off to what is trying to be a tender song). These songs do seem to drag, but in the right setting, they might work - but, sorry, can't get excited about them.

'Endless' is a nice song and although slow, does not drag - interesting sounds on this track.

General observations:

'Deeper & Deeper' STILL reminds me of 'Dance Hall Days' by Wang Chung (JUST the beat, especially at the beginning), or sometimes it reminds me of the drums from Adam & The Ants 'Kings of the Wild Frontier' or 'Ant Music'.

AND

Each time I listen to 'Down', I'm waiting for Dave to burst into the lyrics from Radiohead's 'Creep'.

My writings aren't criticisms. It must be difficult for artists songs NOT to contain a few similarlarities from other songs - it's just how the listener interprets it I suppose.......nevertheless, Dave did well. :)
NZ fan
Katz
DMMB Survivor

Postby bluedress74 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:55 am

Yep, I'm still pulling out Hourglass on a regular basis. I had it in my car's cd player for about 1 month. I'm still loving my favourite tunes;

Endless
Kingdom
Saw Something
A Little Lie
Use You
'the distance between dreams and reality is only measured by motivation...'
bluedress74
DMMB Survivor

Postby blackangel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:00 pm

.....still loving it!!!.....i dont think it will ever change!
And for me it's a sort of "winter" album, as, when it's been released, we already had a lot of snow, and I loved driving on the snowy roads in the evening through the forests, and listening to it! Especially "Down": ....."down, on the ground, there's no one around, and the snow is falling"......
....and it is falling today too!!!! Lovely winter here in the mountains! I love it, and HOURGLASS!!!!!
people are people
blackangel

Postby darthmadonna » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:47 am

I really like the album alot more after getting some time to know it. I must say the Hourglass era has impressed me greatly much more than Paper Monsters. Some of the tracks from this album have become some of my top picks for the last year.
darthmadonna

Postby Stannnnn » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:21 pm

loving this album now, love the bits that are crunchy and dirty,and then the mood rising.
Shouldn't Have Done That...
Stannnnn

Postby I Rush For You » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:59 pm

I actually kind of avoided PM and HG for a while :o

IDK, but after SOTU i just got a newly rediscovered love for DM and that made me go back to Dave's solo work too. And i'm so glad i did, i love both albums, HG is better though, much better.

Dave is really coming into his own, going from strength to strength. And thats awesome for depeche mode too :cool: his songs in PTA and SOTU are nothing short of stunning! Love you dave!
Again and again... :icon_roll
I Rush For You

Postby Black_sheep » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:03 pm

i like kingdom...
....I'm only here.....
Black_sheep

Previous

Return to Hourglass forum