meaning of life(martin)

A forum for Martin's "Counterfeit2" project. Please post Depeche Mode threads in the Depeche Mode forum.

meaning of life(martin)

Postby srntyinthenght » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:27 am

i already wrote this once and it was lost so i'll try again.....

im aware that martin doesnt read all of these posts ...so there may be no point in writing this but for those of you who feel the same.....

since i was a young girl martins words have filled my mind. in that age where you question everything from world issues to love, it really helped to listen to depeche mode. when i was 16 and left home all i had was a backpack with some clothes and my dm tapes. if i found a place to stay that night i would listen to them before i fell asleep. the music gave me peace in the midst of all my fear. martins words seemed to be the only ones that made sense, when i was searching for advice and meaning from others. many times those songs comforted me through being alone, scared, and lost.

i look back now and although my life was pretty bad back then, those were some of the best memories i have. getting my first dm tape, going to my first dm concert, meeting the people i did through loving their music. my life is much different now, i have alot to keep me going, 3 kids and good friends...but those times are a big part of who i am today. i wouldnt change anything , it has made me stronger, wiser, and more aware.

if martins goal was to touch peoples hearts, open their minds, let them know that they are not alone in their thoughts...then thats what he has accomplished. it may seem strange that what he wrote has reached people on a very personal level, but i will say for myself that it is true. martin has reached peoples souls, changed their thinking even if its just slightly, comforted, lifted, and held their emotions.

so i thank martin and dm . for helping me through times where i had no hope, for making me think what love is really about. i thank them most for carrying me through all of my phases of life, and helping me to become the person i am today...myself.

i think martin is a brilliant person, and no matter what happens in the future, im grateful for all the years he has given his heart. my life would not be the same without depeche mode, and im sure anyone who responds to this will feel the same way.

heather in san diego:icon_smil
srntyinthenght
DMMB Member

Postby MODyssey » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:31 am

Don't forget you also have a good boyfriend...who kinda looks/looked like him! LOL Mwwwwaaaah!!

Doug
Also in San Diego
MODyssey

how could i forget

Postby srntyinthenght » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:36 am

i didnt forget ...thats another long story...but you fall under the good friends as well..geez:icon_cool
srntyinthenght
DMMB Member

Postby Rhianna » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:01 am

Awww. :)

For me, the teenage years were about having a good time and discovering myself away from those ridiculous rules that the oh-so-cruel parents would impose upon me. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M GROUNDED?!?! I HAVE PLANS THIS WEEKEND!"

It was also about young love. It was about breaking those horrible rules and being depressed... because you couldn't see the love-of-your-life that weekend. So of course you would sneak out at 2 in the morning to see him and make out in the backseat of his car to a Depeche album. Everything made sense after that!! ;) Oh, did I forget to leave out the HORMONES? Just making sure.

Overall, I wasn't struck by the maturity of Depeche Mode yet. I was too carefree. Didn't know what love was. I was still wet behind the ears. I just knew that Dave had an amazing voice and I worshipped the music. So with time, I've matured with it. Just as the music and words of DM have matured too (which keep me addicted dammit!). But in those naive times is when I started to ponder the meaning of life and the meaning of love. I wanted more beyond just my little world. And so here I am today... still imprisoned by rules and hormones, but it's all good! ;)

"The world still turns..."
Rhianna

Postby Mode-Girl » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:06 am

Oohhh you guys are so sweet!:icon_smil

I totally agree! DM has also been there for me through it all. They have shaped my life to be the person who I am today. Life without DM would be a crime. I have a story to tell aswell but that would be another day. Meanwhile, as I always say to everyone on a daily basis have a great DepecheImageDay!
Mode-Girl
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby Ilse101 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:18 am

srntyinthenght wrote:
since i was a young girl martins words have filled my mind. in that age where you question everything from world issues to love, it really helped to listen to depeche mode.

Hmm, well I just turned 18 like two days ago so I'm finally and adult but I've been questioning life, religion, love, and basically everything and anything since age 3(sadly, I'm not kidding). I've concluded and then changed my mind about sooooo many things over the years that I feel like a 40 yr old. I grew up with adults and I guess that's why I've always viewed the world somewhat differently than the rest of the kids that are my age. DM has helped me in this process of learning and maturing in the past three years. For example, when I feel stressed or have a problem I know I can always put on a cd and listen to DM and it helps me clear my mind and think of how I'm going to solve things. When I was 15 I kinda was going through some hard times and I would listen to Blasphamous Rumours. I kinda felt like that 16 yr old girl...."bored with life" Not like I attempted suicide or anything but the chorus lines were and still are very meaningful to me because I felt that if a higher being does exist he/she/it was being amused by us, that we were here only for his/her/it's entertainment. I consider myself somewhat of an existentialist and when I hear songs such as It Doesn't Matter Two I feel like I can identify with them.."though it feels good now, I know it's only for now." There are MANY DM songs that really affect me directly but that would take too long to explain and I think I've bored you enough. But yeah, I don't know if it was Martin's intention to touch our lives in a way but he has done that. I hope he keeps writing now that he has a more mature mind to help us view things from a different perspective.
Ilse101
DMMB Elder

Postby lichfieldmode » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:34 pm

I thought your story was very heartening
I thought your story was very heartening. I'm glad things are better for you now.

Kind regards
lichfieldmode

Postby blue_dress_ca » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:34 am

Hi Ilse! Although I'm a bit older than you, I went thru exactly the same thing when I was about your age. I also had a family with a lot of adults and I'm an only child, so I always felt out of place with my peers. And I did exactly the same, I listened to DM. However, it was a bit different for me because I didn't speak any English so I didn't understand the lyrics. But I sure understood the music, and I always felt strangely electrified when I listened to it and I felt drawn to it. Then sometime later I moved to Canada and I learned English and it was like I rediscovered DM all over again. It really makes you a different person.
I just want you to know that time is a bitter-sweet memory in my mind, but it helped shape me as I am today, so hold on to memories from here and now. I can tell you are a beautiful person today, which is very obvious in the way you express yourself.
It's a beautiful thing to be a DM fan. And thank God for Martin! :)
blue_dress_ca
DMMB Veteran

Postby nona lee » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:01 pm

lichfieldmode wrote:I thought your story was very heartening
I thought your story was very heartening. I'm glad things are better for you now.

Kind regards
nona lee

Next

Return to Martin L. Gore - Counterfeit2