COVENANT "Leaving Babylon"

Topics not related to Depeche Mode.

COVENANT "Leaving Babylon"

Postby MaxMode » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:05 pm

Swedish electropop heavyweights COVENANT are back with what I feel is their finest album to date "Leaving Babylon"

The album's first single "Last Dance" is definitely one the band's best if not the best song ever! best electropop track of the year in my book....

Like one reviewer mentioned "This is a must-own for any Covenant fan, and if Covenant wasn't your cup of tea beforehand, this album may sway you" I must agree! :cool:

Please check the link below..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhM5jy7bXk4&feature=player_detailpage#t=71
I surrender all control To the desire that consumes me whole
MaxMode

Postby chengdu » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:51 pm

While I wouldnt call it their finest, that honor would go to United States of Mind or maybe Northern Lights but their new one is really, really good and Im happy to see a thread here about it.

For those of you who can catch them live, don't miss the opportunity, they rock live :)

Daniel
chengdu
DMMB Elder

Postby Cademo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:18 pm

I'm listening to them right now (Leaving Babylon), great track indeed!
There's something beating here inside my body
And it's called a heart...
Cademo

Postby intermode » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Not completely convinced by that track yet. It took me ages to get into Modern Ruin as well. Here's hoping the album hits the mark.
intermode

Postby MaxMode » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:37 pm

Well if it is their finest album or not? that's open to discussion.. It's definitely a matter of taste.. I personally love this new album even though "United States Of Mind" is still my favorite Covenant album but that doesn't necessarily means it's their best album... Again ultimately it all comes down to taste. :cool:

Intermode
The track "Last Dance" is better than anything on "Modern Ruins" but again that's my opinion.

I hope you like the album...:cool:
I surrender all control To the desire that consumes me whole
MaxMode

Postby tex » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:43 pm

chengdu wrote:While I wouldnt call it their finest, that honor would go to United States of Mind or maybe Northern Lights but their new one is really, really good and Im happy to see a thread here about it.

For those of you who can catch them live, don't miss the opportunity, they rock live :)

Daniel

I haven't ordered this CD yet, but it's nice to read such positive comments about the new album. Also, it's refreshing to read some praise for Northern Lights. I've frequented several industrial music forums throughout the last decade or so, and it seems that most people at these forums think that Covenant's first three albums are their best. Most of these people think that Covenant got away from their more industrial sound with USOM and got more poppy and more accessible with that album. Of the first three Coveannt albums, Sequencer is my favorite. Some of the drum programming is incredible for this album. However, USOM is my favorite Covenant album, but Northern Lights is probably my second favorite Covenant album. Northern Lights' Prometheus is one of my all-time favorite Covenant songs, and I think that Northern Lights' album cover is the best Covenant album cover.

I can't wait to hear the three tracks that Daniel Myer contributed to the new Covenant album, even though Myer is no longer an official member of the band. I actually think that Modern Ruin is a very good album, and I do wonder if Leaving Babylon is even better than Modern Ruin.

Chendu, I remember you said that you saw Covenant live at some small clubs that you helped operate, before they even released an album. Thankfully, I've seen Covenant with the original three members, and I've seen them a few times with Daniel Myer. They really are a great band to see live.
tex
DMMB Survivor

Postby chengdu » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:08 am

New interview.

Track by track commentary by Covenant.

If you are into Covenant both links are well worth to check out.

Daniel
chengdu
DMMB Elder

Postby Shadowman82 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:40 pm

I think it's definetly better than Modern Ruin but it doesn't have a Track like "Leiermann".
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby tex » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:04 pm

Thanks for posting those two links, Daniel. I enjoyed reading both articles.

I’ve listened to my copy of Leaving Babylon the last two weeks, and I like it a lot. It sounds more like a true Covenant album, when compared to Modern Ruin. The CD booklet for Leaving Babylon is very nice. Like for the Modern Ruin booklet, I like that Joakim writes a “foreword” to open the Leaving Babylon booklet. His foreword gives a nice background to explain their Leaving Babylon concept or what Joakim calls their “trigger phrase,” as mentioned in the article that Daniel linked. The graph that depicts when the written word first appeared and how information, whether through written or spoken word, has slowly changed, especially through modern technology, throughout the years is very neat.

In a way, Leaving Babylon is kind of set up like Modern Ruin. Both albums begin with an experimental intro track that contains a vocoder and end with a very moody track, and there’s a track in the middle of both albums that are pretty much atypical Covenant tracks. Also, both albums have a hidden track that’s “Part II” of the opening album track.

I think that Covenant did a good job of selecting one Myer’s tracks to begin the album. Like Joakim stated in the article that Daniel linked, I love the beat and groove for the opening track. It reminds me of NIN’s Closer. The metallic drum beat is very cool. Also, I’m a sucker for vocoders, and I enjoy listening to the vocoder in this song. I just wish that the vocoder would’ve been used for all of the lyrics that were printed in the booklet. The vocoder isn’t used for the first half of the lyrics, which is a common theme now for the last few Covenant albums to include lyrics in the booklet that aren’t actually used in the song.

I had no idea that Thy Kingdom Come had been around for five years and played live in concert, which I learned from reading the album review that Daniel linked. I saw Covenant live twice in the past three years, and they never did play this live. Sadly, the Metropolis edition of the album has Thy Kingdome Come printed on the back part of the CD case, as well as in the lyrics of this song in the CD booklet. Maybe, someone at Metropolis is a Seattle Mariners/Seahawks fan. RIP, Kingdome. Hehe I wonder if the same typo occurred for the Dependent version of this CD. Thy Kingdome Come has this awesome and intense drive to it, and I really enjoy the harpischord sound in this song. It adds some more darkness to the already dark song and lyrics. The crashing sounds are very cool in this song and relate very well to this line: “Come crashing over me.”

Speaking of darkness in a song with an awesome drive, there’s no chance for a breather after Thy Kingdom Come, because Last Dance keeps up with the hard and fast pounding beat and really embraces darkness with its music and lyrics. “You are my black widow.” “My heart is blackened. I am dying in your arms.” “This is the end of it all.” I really enjoy Eskil’ “ooooooooooooooh” parts in this song.

A Covenant album isn’t a Covenant album if it doesn’t have one or two tracks in which Eskil more or less speaks than sings. That’s the case for Prime Movers. Eskil speaks, like he does for Call The Ships To Port, Go Film, Spindrift, etc. This song continues the high BPM trend of the first three tracks.

I wonder what Clas Nachmansson thinks of how new Covenant band member, Andreas Catjar, already has his own track included on a Covenant album, while Clas only had one of his tracks included in the six Covenant albums when he was in the band. I Walk Slow is what I was referring to earlier about how this album has a very atypical Covenant track. Matter of fact, I think that this song might be the most atypical Covenant song ever. Not surprisingly, I Walk Slow is a very slow song and is the first slow song of the album. So, we finally get a breather. There’s not even a drum beat or a bass beat in this song. It’s a fusion of some slowly-played guitar chords and noisy, “chaotic” (to borrow Joakim’s description) electronics. Eskil’s vocals really are quite emotional in this song.

Myer’s For Our Time is my favorite song on this album. Myer wrote the music and the lyrics for this song. This track is so moving and emotional. The band members mentioned in the album review that this song is sad, and I totally agree with them. I love how Eskil sings this song. There’s such passion in his voice. I’m just disappointed that Eskil only chose to sing these two lines: “I’ve been searching/I’ve been living for tomorrows all my life” and “I’ve been watching/I’ve been waiting in the shadows for my time.” The CD booklet includes many more lines that weren’t sung in the song, and it’s a shame, because the lyrics that weren’t sung are really beautiful, sad, and emotional. Even for Myer’s Beauty & The Grace and Worlds Collide from Modern Ruin, Eskil doesn’t sing all of the lyrics that are printed for both songs in the CD booklet. Like Eskil mentioned in the track-by-track review, I hope that there’ll be a few more Myer tracks for the next Covenant album.

From reading the track-by-track review, it’s nice to know that Ignorance & Bliss was a demo Skyshaper. So, like Thy Kingdom Come, Ignorance & Bliss has been around for a while. This song is almost like two different songs. The song starts out slowly and a bit darkly with the choral sample and then kicks into gear with a driving beat, but then, the song later goes in a different direction with a bit more uplifting feel with a very cool guitar sound that Joakim mentioned in the album review. The chorus, with the guitar sound, is my favorite part of the song, and it closes the song very well. This song has some nice sci fi/robotic sound effects and synth washing sounds.

Like how a Covenant album isn’t a Covenant album without a song or two with Eskil speaking vocals, a Covenant album can’t exist with at least one filler track. :0) Auto (Circulation) is one of those tracks for me, like how The Night in Modern Ruin is a total filler track to me. In my opinion, it’s one of those monotonous, repetitive club tracks. At least, I thought that it was cool that Eskil sings “I leave the flow of time.” That’s the exact same line that he sings for one of my favorite Covenant songs, 2D.

From what I read in the album review, I think that Daniel Jonasson hit the nail on the head about Not To Be Here as being a classic Covenant outro song. I love how most Covenant albums end with very emotional, sad, moving, beautiful, and slow-paced songs, like Still Life from United States of Mind, Atlas from Northern Lights, The World Is Growing Loud from Skyshaper, and The Road from Modern Ruin. Not To Be Here definitely fits the bill here as the last titled track on Leaving Babylon. Before I bought this CD, I had never even heard of Marcus Dimbodius, but it’s awesome that Eskil wanted to cover this song by Dimbodius. This song is so emotive and sad, and I love the piano in this song. There’s this beautiful synth part that appears near the end of the song that is so wonderful and moving.

I have to mention that intermode must be thrilled that Patenbrigade:Wolff is thanked in the credits of the CD booklet for touring with Covenant.
tex
DMMB Survivor

Re: COVENANT "Leaving Babylon"

Postby hollowpromises » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:07 am

my rating is 7/10

I thought 'skyshaper' was a 10/10
hollowpromises

Next

Return to Not DM Related