Any Cure Fans?

Topics not related to Depeche Mode.

Postby piggymirror » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:57 pm

I went to see The Cure yesterday in Barcelona.

Setlist: Plainsong, Pictures of You, High, The End of the World, Lovesong, Push, Inbetween Days, Just Like Heaven, From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea, The Hungry Ghost, Play For Today, A Forest (with Happy Birthday Simon at the end), Bananafishbones, Lullaby, The Walk, Mint Car, Friday I'm in Love, Doing The Unstuck, Trust, Want, Wrong Number, One Hundred Years, Disintegration

1st Encore: The Kiss, If Only Tonight We Could Sleep, Fight
2nd Encore: Dressing Up, Lovecats, The Blood, The Caterpillar, Close To Me, Just One Kiss, Let's Go To Bed, Sleep When I'm Dead, Why Can't I Be You?
3rd Encore: Boys Don't Cry.

It was quite a good concert.

The Cure is now Robert Smith on vocals and guitar, Simon Gallup on bass, Jason Cooper on drums, Roger O´Donnell on keyboards, and Reeves Gabrels (novelty, ex-David Bowie) on guitar.

The played a few songs that had not been played live for a very long time, Bananafishbones wasn´t played since 1984, Fight since 1987, and it was the first time they played Just One Kiss, and that song was from 1982, it was the b-side to Let´s Go To Bed and it appeards on the Japanese Whispers album.

The only problem is that they kept on battling with the sound engineers about the guitars and keyboard, thay didn´t hear themselves onsatge! Roger O´Donnell, the keyboard player, got angry and kicked an amp as he felt ignored by the technicians.

A very fine concert though.
piggymirror
DMMB Survivor

Postby pauldepechemode66 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:54 am

I worshipped the Cure for years and Disintegration and Faith are classics that will stay with me. Imo they lost track with Wish and never got it back. They are not the band they were and it is only down to poor songs really and them not really being bothered to be a commercial pop act anymore. Still they were a fantastic band.
pauldepechemode66
DMMB Survivor

Postby piggymirror » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:53 pm

pauldepechemode66 wrote:I worshipped the Cure for years and Disintegration and Faith are classics that will stay with me. Imo they lost track with Wish and never got it back. They are not the band they were and it is only down to poor songs really and them not really being bothered to be a commercial pop act anymore. Still they were a fantastic band.

You haven´t seen them live lately, have you?

Live, in concert, they´re INTACT. ;)

But for some reasons they don´t release albums as great as they used to.

I guess Robert has become a bit tired of music business.
piggymirror
DMMB Survivor

Postby pauldepechemode66 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:17 pm

piggymirror wrote:You haven´t seen them live lately, have you?

Live, in concert, they´re INTACT. ;)

But for some reasons they don´t release albums as great as they used to.

I guess Robert has become a bit tired of music business.

Ive never been interested in live music. For me Its a poor representation of what I like about music which is the album. Somethings always lost in translation. i don't blame Mr Smith for not bothering with the music business , he has a great legacy behind him and he must be close to retirement. I treasure Faith and Disintegration very much all these years on. They are perfect albums.
pauldepechemode66
DMMB Survivor

Postby readingjess » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:44 am

I got into The Cure when I was in high school.Initially because a guy I had a crush on liked them.This was when Wish came out.Funnily enough,I really liked them,and they are one of my favourite bands to date.

I've been lucky enough to see them live 6 times,including last year at Vivid in Sydney Opera House,playing their first 3 albums,plus an encore of almost another album!I love their 3 hour shows,and back catalogue.

I used to watch their videos endlessly when I was a teenager,but have grown out of that.Sometimes I think Robert's look is a bit old,and am always intrigued to see him without any make up.

I also can't say I like every album,but there are few bands who I could say I love each and every album over such a long period.I take what I like,there's certainly enough Cure to go around!

I love Simon Gallup's bass sounds,and am so glad that he has stood the test of time in that band,with the exception of a couple pf years early on.I would miss him if he wasn't there now.

They're not for everyone,and I can see how people get obsessed by them,and also how people can't stand them.I certainly don't go to a show expecting Robert Smith's personality to turn into Iggy Pop on stage.Mostly he just mumbles and stands there,and that's ok.

I love that they've pulled out Bananafishbones too!There's some strange lyrics on that album!
readingjess

Postby intermode » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:17 pm

pauldepechemode66 wrote:I worshipped the Cure for years and Disintegration and Faith are classics that will stay with me. Imo they lost track with Wish and never got it back. They are not the band they were and it is only down to poor songs really and them not really being bothered to be a commercial pop act anymore. Still they were a fantastic band.

Totally agree with you on all points...don't know if it was Wish, but Friday on my mind severed my interest in their subsequent music with one single song...extreme reaction or what...still...saw them perform a three album set a few years back and it was a good concert apart from that they performed without a keyboard player...which took the edge out of a lot of the tracks....
intermode

Postby ryan mc govern » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:36 am

Paul-Mode wrote:And some people may disagree or even call me a snob or killjoy for saying this but anyone over 40 who still dresses up like Robert Smith is a moron.

really?I think its kinda cool to see the people dressed up at the concerts::confused:
ryan mc govern
DMMB Survivor

Postby ub27161 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:38 am

Robert is a great songwriter and performer. His style has always been the same...

Letting the music speak for itself. He and the rest of the band put it out there, for upto. 3 hours. They sound great as a band, and his voice is strong, better than Dave's. True fans of both bands will acknowledge this.
ub27161

Postby 'Bmode » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:52 am

The last time I heard them live was in Perth back in August 2007 and they sounded just GREAT!!! They always have a brilliant live performance.
'Bmode
DMMB Survivor

Postby intermode » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:45 pm

'Bmode wrote:The last time I heard them live was in Perth back in August 2007 and they sounded just GREAT!!! They always have a brilliant live performance.

I was at that concert... you sure get around, Mr New Jersey USA.
intermode

PreviousNext

Return to Not DM Related