Any Cure Fans?

Topics not related to Depeche Mode.

Postby AJRimmer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:24 am

Paul-Mode wrote:And some people may disagree or even call me a snob or killjoy for saying this but anyone over 40 who still dresses up like Robert Smith is a moron.

It's probably too late now, but Smith himself needed an image overhaul YEARS ago. Imagine Dave Gahan trying to sport a mullet with blonde highlights now... the music doesn't/shouldn't need the image to survive.
I've come back crazier... but feel much better.
AJRimmer

Postby Rhianna » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:38 pm

There is (was) a reason behind the gothed-out hair, red lipstick, eye makeup and pasty image. Rob, the big goth teddy bear, had said he didn't do well in front of crowds initially. So he did himself up and felt more comfortable being stared at when he was performing.

That look is a trademark of The Cure. I couldn't imagine him being different on stage. Although I've seen the rare photos of him with no makeup, hair "normal" .... quite attractive. :)
Rhianna

Postby Gahan crazy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:15 pm

Rhianna wrote:There is (was) a reason behind the gothed-out hair, red lipstick, eye makeup and pasty image. Rob, the big goth teddy bear, had said he didn't do well in front of crowds initially. So he did himself up and felt more comfortable being stared at when he was performing.

That look is a trademark of The Cure. I couldn't imagine him being different on stage. Although I've seen the rare photos of him with no makeup, hair "normal" .... quite attractive. :)

Yeah, I had heard something about that somewhere.

I have seen early footage of him, before his trademark look and I agree I can't imagine RS looking any different now.

He seems a very nice guy and I think it's really sweet that he's still married to his childhood sweetheart, which is rare in this industry.
Let me hear you speaking just for me...
Gahan crazy

Postby Rhianna » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:20 pm

He says he didn't have anything with Siouxsie Sioux, but I don't believe his innocent marital answer. :p
Rhianna

Postby Minky Starshine » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:09 am

Rhianna wrote:He says he didn't have anything with Siouxsie Sioux, but I don't believe his innocent marital answer. :p

Hmm, not so sure about that but it seems he made a cameo on the album cover for Playing The Angel. ;)
Minky Starshine
DMMB Survivor

Postby Paul-Mode » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:23 pm

I will admit that Smith seems like a very nice man but his unwillingness to grow up over the years has rubbed off on the majority of his fans who seem quite impressionable.
Paul-Mode
DMMB Member

Postby Gahan crazy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Rhianna wrote:He says he didn't have anything with Siouxsie Sioux, but I don't believe his innocent marital answer. :p

I knew he played with SS and the Banshees, but hadn't heard about that.
Gahan crazy

Postby Rhianna » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:48 am

Gahan crazy wrote:I knew he played with SS and the Banshees, but hadn't heard about that.

Well, I am not saying it's true. It's just what I think. I like to think it's also the reason Morrissey and Robert Smith loathe each other. You know how Siouxsie went and did a duet with Moz called "Interlude"? Uh-huh. Just rubbing salt in the big goth teddy bear's wounds ... Haha. :p ;)
Rhianna

Postby Rhianna » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:50 am

Minky Starshine wrote:Hmm, not so sure about that but it seems he made a cameo on the album cover for Playing The Angel. ;)

Yes, it was like a little feathered Robert Smith. ;)
Rhianna

Postby Gahan crazy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:14 am

Rhianna wrote:Well, I am not saying it's true. It's just what I think. I like to think it's also the reason Morrissey and Robert Smith loathe each other. You know how Siouxsie went and did a duet with Moz called "Interlude"? Uh-huh. Just rubbing salt in the big goth teddy bear's wounds ... Haha. :p ;)

Ah, I get ya ;)
Gahan crazy

PreviousNext

Return to Not DM Related