1980s set novel with Depeche Mode mode references

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

1980s set novel with Depeche Mode mode references

Postby Buildings » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:37 am

Hello fellow Depeche Mode fans. Late last year I finished the last edit of a novel I wrote called Say Hello to Wires. It's set in an unknown conservative city in the middle of America during the mid 1980s as a group of people try to start up a synthesizer band. It has satirical comedy, quirky characters, a little romance, and a hell of connection to electronic music and bands from that era. I'm running out of patience waiting for literary agents/indie publishers and a traditional printing to happen--it might be too esoteric for them. Until then, I'd love to get it into the hands of the people who might really enjoy it: you. I've printed up a small run of copies if anyone is interested in a synthesizer loving novel such as Say Hello to Wires.

Here's a link to my website w/ information about the book, how to get a copy, and how to contact me if you have questions.

http://www.joshuablevinspeck.com/books/#/new-page/
Buildings
DMMB Veteran

Re: 1980s set novel with Depeche Mode mode references

Postby Pilatos25 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:36 pm

Is it based in a personal story by chance?
Pilatos25
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby Buildings » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Pilatos25 wrote:Is it based in a personal story by chance?

It's fiction. But I grew up in the midwest close to the time it is set...so couldn't help for some real things to filter into the story. Not much though. The book has a very pro-synthesizer, pro-new wave stance and that is me. I took a lot of crap for liking DM and similar bands in the small town I grew up in. Some of that is in the novel. Most is fiction though.

I've only heard from a couple of Depeche fans...thought I'd hear from more people who grew up in this era who love Depeche Mode and electronic music from the 1980s. Check out the description in link above, email me at nostalgiclibrarian at gmail.com with questions...heck, I might even offer a refund if you read it and don't like it!
Buildings
DMMB Veteran

Postby russellk » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:49 pm

Hey, I've written a novel, too. Sounds like we're near the same age. I totally get what you mean about literary agents and all that; not easy! Mine is a fantasy-set comedy. I've also had a similar idea to yours, set in the 80's, though with a sci-fi twist. I'd certainly be interested in reading yours, when (caveat) I have some extra money. Right now is very, very hard for me. Hell, I had to miss DM when they came through again this past May! The only advice I could offer is, if you haven't already thought of this, is to really sell the nostalgia angle in your query letter. People of our generation are ready for some looking back, just look at Ready Player One! Also, does it have much of a plot, or is it just character-driven? I've found most agents want to see there's some kind of plot, as good as the character stuff is. And, my first version was about 65,000 words long, which I discovered may be another problem these days. It seems like they want novels to be extra long now, so I'm in the process of expanding it to at least 80,000. Gone are the days of the concise novel! I think they may have been rejecting it just on that basis alone. That could be another problem on your end, I don't know. You might want to check some small-press publishers, just to get it out there. Maybe the big boys will come knocking later. Good luck! I'll try to get a copy soon. If you want to check out mine, the current version is available for 3 bucks on Kindle. It's called "They Impale Unicorns, Don't They?" Yes, the book is as twisted as it sounds!
russellk

Postby gerrypalma » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:40 pm

Hi all,
I grew up in the 80's in Iowa where the mood was more REO speedwagon than DM... gladly i went to Europe then! I'd love to find novels where DM is mentioned. any ideas ?

@ Russellk : is your book 'they impale unicorns' about DM ?
gerrypalma

Return to Depeche Mode Related