Are you still listening to Spirit?

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Re: Are you still listening to Spirit?

Postby Deprocyon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:08 pm

Yes I am still listening to Spirit, esp Fail, but this has been eclipsed by the release of erasure's excellent album "World Be Gone" (their seventeenth studio album) last week which also carries a heavy social message with that album about the lack of love in this world currently.

I actually am non-plussed as to where the next single is off Spirit yet. If DM had stayed where they belong I'm sure that Daniel Miller would have made sure the third single would have been on it's way to us by now, or in production. I feel like Depeche have lost their way some since they chose not to stay with mute. Spirit has rich single pickings as well. I wonder what is going on about a follow up single to WtR.
Deprocyon

Postby coastman13 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:20 pm

It's a difficult listen for me, given the political message. I'll listen once a week or so for the past couple months. Overall, I'm listening to the previous albums more than usual, given such a recent release.
coastman13

Postby Sequential » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:25 pm

Not since the first time I barely got through it...

I am listening to Some Great Reward and the Oberkorn on repeat lately. Pure genius.
Sequential

Postby maper » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:25 am

I am listening. What a great album. For me, one of the best.

I had even wished they played all the songs during the concert.
maper

Postby Catfink1664 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:54 pm

Long answer - I listen to it quite a bit still, as it's in the CD changer in my car, there are some songs like Eternal which I didn't like at first, but love singing along to now. So Much Love I adored from first listen. Poorman, The Worst Crime and Fail I always skip, to my ears they're just dirges. You Move 'almost' has something, but needs more meaning in the verses, which peter out into nothing and spoil the song for me. Scum actually made me say "no way, really?" on first listen, but it's probably the one I listen to most now. I wouldn't have chosen Where's The Revolution for the first single, it's not anything like the best track, and was probably just for something to talk about in interviews? It's kind of listenable but I can't see it making it's way into any of my DM playlists. Both of Dave's tracks are good and definitely have earned their place on the album, though I prefer Cover Me to Poison Heart. Going Backwards (which will be the next single) has a lovely clean sound, and is best listened to on headphones.
Short answer - yep, still listening :-)
Catfink1664

Postby THETRUTHIS » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:19 am

Like Delta Machine the picked the wrong track to be the lead single. I would have gone with Going Backwards or Scum. They are the two tracks I still listen too
THETRUTHIS
DMMB Veteran

Postby buzzthief » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:08 am

Hi all,

I wasn't happy with the James Ford production, thought it was the weakest since Exciter, so I remixed most of the album to give it more of the Flood/Hillier/etc. color (not techno dance remixes, just rearranged some songs, changed some tempos, added the type of drums/instrumentation that was more typical on prior albums). Have a listen if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEnZdXokEuQ&t=773s

Rgds
buzzthief

Postby katdm » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:45 pm

Still listening to a good chunk of the album, so yeah. I really want to see if this will still apply after the 23rd July.

Also....

THETRUTHIS wrote:Like Delta Machine the picked the wrong track to be the lead single. I would have gone with Going Backwards or Scum. They are the two tracks I still listen too

The part in bold applies, but I wouldn't disagree with the second sentence either.
katdm
DMMB Survivor

Postby sashmode » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:01 am

I'd love to hear the whole Spirit live, at least a few shows before dropping everything to a pathetic #5. Playing a full album, plus 5 rare songs and 5 a must songs. What a great, a proper way to listen to the new album......
sashmode
DMMB Survivor

Postby Unpredictable-Then » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:46 am

THETRUTHIS wrote:Like Delta Machine the picked the wrong track to be the lead single. I would have gone with Going Backwards or Scum. They are the two tracks I still listen too

Agreed that those would have been stronger choices, but Where's The Revolution always sounded to me like it was written with being a lead single in mind.
Unpredictable-Then
sort of read the F.A.Q.

PreviousNext

Return to Depeche Mode Related