Are you still listening to Spirit?

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Re: Are you still listening to Spirit?

Postby Disease Shaker » Tue May 08, 2018 2:44 pm

Think I may have listened 3 times.
Disease Shaker
DMMB Veteran

Postby Viol8tor Mode » Thu May 10, 2018 8:04 am

Hell nah.
Viol8tor Mode

Postby Shadowman82 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Spirit is not a bad album in my mind . I think the biggest thing that can be said against it is that sonically it's still sounds too similar to their last three albums .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby sashmode » Wed May 16, 2018 2:10 am

I think album is great, much better than Delta. So many great songs! Too bad, for some idiotic reason they don't play songs that could turn into great concert hits. "You Move", "Scum"for example. Dropping "So Much Love", I would never understand why.... Very underrated album. It's like they don't believe in what the write. Sad.
sashmode
DMMB Survivor

Postby Shadowman82 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:43 pm

Yeah that always annoys me too , during the production of an album they always say how great they think their new material is but then they play so little of the new material live . There is just a disconnect there . Either they privately don't really think their new material is that good in which case they should do something about it or someone is telling them that their new material isn't "huge concert" compatible .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby SynthMan Wales » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:46 pm

No.

I listen to individual tracks either as they feature in playlists I have compiled or if I choose to seek out an particular track, but I find I have no interest in sitting down and listening to it as a complete work.

Personally speaking, I find it a little bit too monotonous in pace and tone. I think Delta Machine and Sounds of the Universe are much more satisfying as album experiences than Spirit.

Having said that, I think Cover Me has crept into my own personal Top 20 Depeche Mode songs. The track is sublime.
SynthMan Wales

Postby GlassChild » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:33 am

After over a year, still playing, wonderful, one of their best.
GlassChild

Postby mikedarmonmode69 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:42 am

Yes but the boys owe us a tour based on playing the oldies with today's technology. From S&S to Black Celeb, with gongs on stage, a return with high quality sound. What a dream. After 36 years, aren't we entitled? The Cure did it, 1st 3 albums in their entirety with original band members for each album. Not asking for that but a celebration of the past of some sort. I feel we are losing the thread a litle w the last album, which production is not hot... thoughts..
mikedarmonmode69

Postby zoltanbinder » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:49 pm

Yes, I'm used to listening it, as the old ones too. I like them. I think this is a typical question of personal music taste. The Depeche Mode band has very lot of music faces, despite of that it's called often electronic music band. Originally it's been started really like tose, but as the years and the decades gone passing by it's been proved that this band is more than to be only one kind of genre. It's a band with brilliant multicoloured, unique and precious music with awesome lyrics. Therefore can be occured music taste differences even among the persons who like this band. Some people like rather the age of Music for The Masses or Black Celebration, some people like the later albums as same as the old ones, or vise versa. I like both, and I think both era is good due to another reason. Of course this is just my opinion, my taste.
I'm listening often the poison heart, going backwards, cover me, sometimes the worst crime, and the no more from this.And it's strange thing cause, first time when I heard these songs,I also found them a little bit weird. But as more I've listened them, I liked more and more. It seems it works right inversely like a typical music hit.(and this shows that it's very precious) I like it as better as I listened it more. Despite of this my favourite albums rather the Violator, Delta machine, Music for the masses and Black Celebration.
zoltanbinder

Postby yukito » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:01 am

definetely still listening to it, specially now that the Berlin show is nearing
yukito

PreviousNext

Return to Depeche Mode Related