Are you still listening to Spirit?

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Are you still listening to Spirit?

Postby THETRUTHIS » Mon May 01, 2017 6:43 am

The album has been with us for a few weeks now. I haven't played it personally for over two weeks. This album has faded from my playlist quicker than any of their previous albums. I still think its better than the Hillier albums but I did play those for longer.
THETRUTHIS
DMMB Veteran

Re: Are you still listening to Spirit?

Postby grbauc » Mon May 01, 2017 7:51 am

yep.. and since im heading to Amsterdam this weekend need to be up on the new ones...
grbauc

Postby laceyalley80+ » Mon May 01, 2017 2:59 pm

I am :D
"If God has a master plan, That only he understands...I hope it's your eyes He's seeing through."
laceyalley80+
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby DMmomma » Mon May 01, 2017 10:51 pm

Yes, I am still listening to Spirit. Sometimes I'll skip a day or two and listen to other DM favs, but I'd say I still listen to Spirit at least 3 days a week. :)
DMmomma
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby davegahan1ca » Mon May 01, 2017 11:46 pm

I travelled north on Friday and listened to my music mix on the iPod for around 3 hours. Once I got to my destination, I played Spirit a few times while BBQ'ing. It's like a perfect "mix tape" for me. It's still such a strong album in my opinion. Also, the best album that they have ever recorded. There's just something about it that really makes it work. I don't see myself getting bored of it anytime soon. Probably playing it about 8-10 times a week.
davegahan1ca
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby sacred » Tue May 02, 2017 12:15 am

Barely. I start at the first two songs, skip The Worst Crime (which is horrible), then I get all the way through Cover Me, and then this album falls apart. That's four pretty ok tunes and one good one (You Move). I miss the days of swirling melodies, pulsing beats and some optimism sprinkled in the lyrics and Dave's voice for good measure. This has been my case ever after PTA.
sacred
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby SloGirl » Tue May 02, 2017 12:20 am

Yup - Keep thinking about how it will look and sound on the GST :-) Some songs I like more than others... but I'm still digging it. I can hardly wait to catch some images and vids from Friday's concert!

Bring it on Swedish Devotees... the rest of us are dying for it!
SloGirl
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby MartinGoreBoy101 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:34 am

I still listen to Cover Me, No More and So Much Love a lot

Oddly enough, I will sometimes listen to Eternal. I hated it the first time I heard it but I've come to see (hear) it as a very classic sounding Mode track. Maybe not Martins greatest melody but the song takes me back to the Music For The Masses sound.

So after all these weeks, I still think Spirit is the best Mode record in 20 years.
MartinGoreBoy101
DMMB Survivor

Postby russellk » Wed May 03, 2017 12:50 am

What a great question. Short answer: no! This for me has to be their most boring LP. The sounds are boring, the dominate mid-tempo is boring, the melodies are boring. I know some people like it, but this is just my opinion. For me, the last album to have any excitement was Sounds of the Universe. Even Delta Machine had signs of life. This new one is their most stilted, tedious effort yet. Makes me want to go listen to the old ones and remember the glory days, 'cause they're pretty much over. Sorry, wish it wasn't so. Also, I think it's funny they made fun of Christians for believing in Revelations on John the Revelator, but now, according to Failed, we're f...well, you know. Is this what it's like when a liberal realizes Things Ain't Okay? That maybe we're heading to an end?
russellk

Postby basildonboyz » Wed May 03, 2017 6:23 pm

No, but I have listened to Black Celebration 4,753 times (or thereabouts)
basildonboyz
DMMB Veteran

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related