Gahan - Gone vs. Guh-Hawn

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Postby Thaz » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:02 am

Gahan crazy wrote:Yes, that's right and as you said he doesn't seem to really mind.

Dave obviously says Garn, i like the Dave Gahan Hourglass sessions web site greeting on youtube, he clearly pronounces his name as Garn, but apart from that, the whole piece of footage is so funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y7NjdIQ-Vg&list=RD9y7NjdIQ-Vg#t=17

Good find there, it's GARN and that's final! ;)

(Listen closely at around 1 minute in.)

As I pointed out previously though, Dave himself really doesn't seem to mind and has accepted there are many different ways of saying it around the world. :cool:

Clearly though, regulars on this forum care much more about it than he does! :)
Thaz
DMMB Survivor

Postby DrivingBlindly » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:10 am

Thaz wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y7NjdIQ-Vg&list=RD9y7NjdIQ-Vg#t=17

Good find there, it's GARN and that's final! ;)

(Listen closely at around 1 minute in.)

As I pointed out previously though, Dave himself really doesn't seem to mind and has accepted there are many different ways of saying it around the world. :cool:

Clearly though, regulars on this forum care much more about it than he does! :)

I must be ready for an old folks hearing apparatus because for the life of me I don't hear him saying "GaRn" and not that it really matters but at this point I've either GONE (pun intended) completely deaf or.... Well whatever, I guess to my mind and unrefined ear it will always be "Gone".
I’m making progress in an unspecific way.
DrivingBlindly

Postby told_you_so » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:33 am

good thread anyway....its good to have some activity on the forum. we are in the icy depths of a DM winter
told_you_so
DMMB Survivor

Postby Feeling loved » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:04 am

[DrivingBlindly]I originally posted:
must be ready for an old folks hearing apparatus because for the life of me I don't hear him saying "GaRn" and not that it really matters but at this point I've either GONE (pun intended) completely deaf or.... Well whatever, I guess to my mind and unrefined ear it will always be "Gone"]

You'll never hear the "R" in Garn, farm or barn & no one will ever hear the "R" because in British accent, "R" is never pronounced if it comes after an "A" or an "O", like in Gore.
Other accents do pronounce the R but with British people talking, the R in this case is silent & never pronounced. The "R" just gives it a throaty sound rather than cutting the word short like Gone.
Your hearing is absolutely fine:), the R is written but never said. What complicates things is that the "H" in Gahan is silent too, so English accent transforms Ga-haan into GAArN.
Shackled and bound by the sound of his voice.
Feeling loved

Postby Gahan crazy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:37 am

Feeling loved wrote:[DrivingBlindly]I originally posted:
must be ready for an old folks hearing apparatus because for the life of me I don't hear him saying "GaRn" and not that it really matters but at this point I've either GONE (pun intended) completely deaf or.... Well whatever, I guess to my mind and unrefined ear it will always be "Gone"]

You'll never hear the "R" in Garn, farm or barn & no one will ever hear the "R" because in British accent, "R" is never pronounced if it comes after an "A" or an "O", like in Gore.
Other accents do pronounce the R but with British people talking, the R in this case is silent & never pronounced. The "R" just gives it a throaty sound rather than cutting the word short like Gone.
Your hearing is absolutely fine:), the R is written but never said. What complicates things is that the "H" in Gahan is silent too, so English accent transforms Ga-haan into GAArN.

Yes, that's what i said in an earlier post.

There has been a lot of confusion over this, we are all hearing the same pronounciation from Dave, but write it differently because of our accents. In English we are writing Garn (silent R) but the American way is being written Gone, because the word gone in America is not pronounced the same way in England, as i said earlier, an English Garn and an American Gone sound the same, if that makes sense :D
Let me hear you speaking just for me...
Gahan crazy

Postby IceMachine » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:54 pm

Based on that video that thaz posted above I hear it as "Garn" or maybe "Gaan" as well. But while with words such as Barn and Yarn I see why the pronunciation is as it is, with a name like Gahan thats flabbergasting. Words that rhyme usually have the same sequence of vowels such as:

mouse
house
spouse

or

kind
mind
find

But while yarn and barn look identical except for the initial letter, Gahan looks completely different. Brits!
Vision of a picture, like the city and the air we breathe
IceMachine

Postby Gahan crazy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:59 pm

IceMachine wrote:Based on that video that thaz posted above I hear it as "Garn" or maybe "Gaan" as well. But while with words such as Barn and Yarn I see why the pronunciation is as it is, with a name like Gahan thats flabbergasting. Words that rhyme usually have the same sequence of vowels such as:

mouse
house
spouse

or

kind
mind
find

But while yarn and barn look identical except for the initial letter, Gahan looks completely different. Brits!

Yeah, they look completely different, the h in Gahan is silent. Hahaha, that's the English language for you :D
Let me hear you speaking just for me...
Gahan crazy

Postby DrivingBlindly » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:12 am

Gahan crazy wrote:Yes, that's what i said in an earlier post.

There has been a lot of confusion over this, we are all hearing the same pronounciation from Dave, but write it differently because of our accents. In English we are writing Garn (silent R) but the American way is being written Gone, because the word gone in America is not pronounced the same way in England, as i said earlier, an English Garn and an American Gone sound the same, if that makes sense :D

Well done! That's exactly my point - I get the silent R - which makes it sound like Gone or Gaan. My initial point was all these Americans saying Guh-Han, like they have to pronounce every letter - wrong.

If there was a prize to be given, you'd win! I think we can now put this madness I started to rest. Cheers! :)
I’m making progress in an unspecific way.
DrivingBlindly

Postby gorefan1 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:29 pm

It is "GONE". He himself pronounces his name this way, but we still hear people mispronounce it so much that I think he just gave up.

Sigh...
Depeche Mode is a unit. Not just Martin, Dave, Andy or Alan.
gorefan1
DMMB Survivor

Postby gorefan1 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:31 pm

DrivingBlindly wrote:Well done! That's exactly my point - I get the silent R - which makes it sound like Gone or Gaan. My initial point was all these Americans saying Guh-Han, like they have to pronounce every letter - wrong.

If there was a prize to be given, you'd win! I think we can now put this madness I started to rest. Cheers! :)

Exactly! In other words, it's not sounded off as a two-syllable name; don't pronounce the syllables.
Depeche Mode is a unit. Not just Martin, Dave, Andy or Alan.
gorefan1
DMMB Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Depeche Mode Related