Anthony Bourdain and Depeche - My Perfect Universe is Complete

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Anthony Bourdain and Depeche - My Perfect Universe is Complete

Postby DrivingBlindly » Mon May 05, 2014 5:06 pm

Since Dave and Mart no longer drink, Anthony Bourdain - along with Fletch, Alan and Garbage singer Shirley Mason share the top slot for people I'd most want to have a drink with. And as if I needed conformation that Tony B is one the coolest cats alive, he recently took to Twitter during a long layover to answer questions submitted by fans. When asked "What artist/song is your guilty pleasure?" He answered "Depeche Mode". Take that Bon Jovi fans!

http://www.thedailymeal.com/news/anthony-bourdain-twitter-qa/5114
I’m making progress in an unspecific way.
DrivingBlindly

Postby toadmode » Mon May 05, 2014 6:03 pm

it's kinda amazing for a guy who i think mostly listen to classic rock/punk and mentions DM as a guilty pleasure.
toadmode
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby devoted2dave » Mon May 05, 2014 8:49 pm

Is guilty pleasure a compliment to DM though? I've always thought when you refer to something as a guilty pleasure, you are a bit embarrassed by liking it or worried by what others may think of you. For example, my guilty pleasure on tv is watching Real Housewives of OC. Completely embarrassed by the fact that I've watched that housewives (and the only housewives I watch) since the first season. While I admitted it here, I don't admit that publicly without provocation. :D
Please don't speak...You'll only lie...
devoted2dave
DMMB Survivor

Postby GizzUK » Tue May 06, 2014 12:30 am

guilty pleasure?
cheeky sod
Gizz Recordings - a place for freaks to dance. http://www.freewebs.com/gizzuk
GizzUK

Postby Patty » Thu May 08, 2014 8:31 pm

DrivingBlindly wrote:Since Dave and Mart no longer drink, Anthony Bourdain - along with Fletch, Alan and Garbage singer Shirley Mason share the top slot for people I'd most want to have a drink with. And as if I needed conformation that Tony B is one the coolest cats alive, he recently took to Twitter during a long layover to answer questions submitted by fans. When asked "What artist/song is your guilty pleasure?" He answered "Depeche Mode".

http://www.thedailymeal.com/news/anthony-bourdain-twitter-qa/5114

Very good taste indeed!!! :D
"...just one caress from you and I'm blessed"
Patty

Postby katdm » Mon May 12, 2014 10:19 pm

devoted2dave wrote:Is guilty pleasure a compliment to DM though? I've always thought when you refer to something as a guilty pleasure, you are a bit embarrassed by liking it or worried by what others may think of you. For example, my guilty pleasure on tv is watching Real Housewives of OC. Completely embarrassed by the fact that I've watched that housewives (and the only housewives I watch) since the first season. While I admitted it here, I don't admit that publicly without provocation. :D

Depends on which side you are looking at.You could be ashamed of liking something which other people might frown upon,but you can also embrace them and tell people that even though they might find your appreciation towards certain things a let down,they'll have to deal with it.Or at least that's how I see it.

It's not per se a compliment,but considering the fact that Bourdain expressed his love for The Ramones in one episode of No Reservations ,it's not an insult either.It's neutral,in my opinion.
„Look at you all, with your hands up to a song you don't even know.”
katdm
DMMB Survivor

Postby devoted2dave » Wed May 14, 2014 1:44 am

katdm wrote:Depends on which side you are looking at.You could be ashamed of liking something which other people might frown upon,but you can also embrace them and tell people that even though they might find your appreciation towards certain things a let down,they'll have to deal with it.Or at least that's how I see it.

It's not per se a compliment,but considering the fact that Bourdain expressed his love for The Ramones in one episode of No Reservations ,it's not an insult either.It's neutral,in my opinion.

It's an insult. It's not a compliment at all in my opinion.

Guilty Pleasure Definition
Please don't speak...You'll only lie...
devoted2dave
DMMB Survivor

Postby DrivingBlindly » Sat May 17, 2014 8:43 pm

devoted2dave wrote:It's an insult. It's not a compliment at all in my opinion.

Guilty Pleasure Definition

You really have to know where Bourdain is coming from and the company he keeps to truly appreciate his semi-veiled love of DM - his music heroes are CBGB bands like the Ramones that came out of New York at a time when you could get shot in Time's Square just because you looked like you had money in your pocket.

Lets face it, for the Mode uneducated Depeche's early image can be a mighty mental hurdle to get round - the Just Can't Get Enough video certainly didn't do their image any favors and for those that didn't keep up with the bands trajectory that's unfortunately the lasting impression they have of DM. So for a guy like Tony B, I'm sure the whole "guilty pleasure" aspect to Depeche is more of a way of not having to try to explain away the fact that he now appreciates a band who's early efforts and image were the kind of thing muggings were made of in the NYC of the 70's.
I’m making progress in an unspecific way.
DrivingBlindly

Postby THETRUTHIS » Mon May 19, 2014 2:32 am

I read an article he wrote last year where he mentions the song World In My Eyes. I think he is late to DM and just now getting into them.
THETRUTHIS
DMMB Veteran

Postby miss k bee » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:06 am

As if the man could not get cooler!
miss k bee
DMMB Veteran

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related