All New ALBUM RANKINGS !!!

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Postby IceMachine » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:33 pm

charlesfouret wrote:Interesting.

But Black Celebration is the real beginning of something new as well.
Darker, deeper, with synths OK, but end of poppy music IMHO. Start of something more mature.

For me, I would classify the eras like that:

1- Fresh synth/pop
- Frenesy of production (1 album per year)
SAS, ABF, CTA, SGR (+Singles 81-85 to close the chapter) --> Not my preferred era now but contains some gems, and CTA must be played as a whole (the best one of the era for me)

2- Maturity and zenith
BC, MFTM and Violator.
What to say except it's genius.

3- Sex, Drug and Rock and Roll
SOFAD, Ultra (+ Singles 81-98 to close the chapter)
2 powerful rock albums, with unfortunately Alan's departure in between.
But they proved they can work without Alan with Ultra (I was very surprised, but a lot of wonderful and powerful tracks)

4- ???
Exciter, PTA, SOTU,DM... some gems, some hits on PTA.
But inspiration starts to be lost in general.
And sounds and production is... Hillier and Martin old odd synths.
Nothing new (they've tried with Exciter...). In the previous eras, Depeche was used to invente sounds -create new things, and only them were able to.
Now Martin is more focussed on slow melodies and thinks old odd synths can replace new sounds creation.
We need more advanced technology, Mart!
And if you can't do, ask Alan! :D

Thats an interesting list of musical eras of Dms that I can largely agree with,

only thing Imo BC is a piece of its own stylewise and with the succeeding album MFTM they entered a new era, became poppier and slightly more mainstream again, a trend which was to be followed and intensified with Violator. 2nd amendment, whilst I agree Soad and Ultra all in all do fall into the same category of music, imo Sofad was the peak of their grunge rocky era which lasted on but to a lesser degree until ultra, with the exception of barrel of a gun, which should could have been a sofad song and to an extent Useless.

So Id have it
1)Synth pop until 85
2)BC
3) Guitars come in but electronis / keyboards are still prevalent MFM Violator
4) Rock albums Sofad / Ultra
5) The latest era which is a bit of everything, for instance blues oriented with delta machine

i agree with your last paragraph, the tendency as of their latest albums is that the songs have become slower and less inspirational - a few exceptions like precious included - and a pattern i noticed most notably on delta machine, read this piece here its from a DM revied by a self acclaimed "life long DM fan" but i whole heartedly agree with it:

"While I’m waxing nostalgic, what I miss the most are the intertwining instrumental melodies. Each part was just a few notes – simple by itself, but magnificent in counterpoint. Now Dave’s vocals carry the entire melodic weight of every song, and Martin sings along with the same words at the same time, rather than the beautiful countermelodies of yore."
IceMachine

Postby charlesfouret » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:30 pm

IceMachine wrote:Thats an interesting list of musical eras of Dms that I can largely agree with,

only thing Imo BC is a piece of its own stylewise and with the succeeding album MFTM they entered a new era, became poppier and slightly more mainstream again, a trend which was to be followed and intensified with Violator. 2nd amendment, whilst I agree Soad and Ultra all in all do fall into the same category of music, imo Sofad was the peak of their grunge rocky era which lasted on but to a lesser degree until ultra, with the exception of barrel of a gun, which should could have been a sofad song and to an extent Useless.

So Id have it
1)Synth pop until 85
2)BC
3) Guitars come in but electronis / keyboards are still prevalent MFM Violator
4) Rock albums Sofad / Ultra
5) The latest era which is a bit of everything, for instance blues oriented with delta machine

i agree with your last paragraph, the tendency as of their latest albums is that the songs have become slower and less inspirational - a few exceptions like precious included - and a pattern i noticed most notably on delta machine, read this piece here its from a DM revied by a self acclaimed "life long DM fan" but i whole heartedly agree with it:

That's right, BC was a kind of pivot in their career. And by the way could be a real exception.
charlesfouret

Postby blade69 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:35 pm

1. Violator
2. Speak & Spell
3. Playing the Angel
4. A Broken Frame
5. Some Great Reward
6. Delta Machine
7. Sounds of the Universe
8. Music for the Masses
9. Black Celebration
10. Songs of Faith and Devotion
11. Construction Time Again
12. Exciter
13. Ultra

Really tough call for #2 between Playing the Angel and Speak & Spell. I could go either way there.
blade69
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby IceMachine » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:08 am

blade69 wrote:1. Violator
2. Speak & Spell
3. Playing the Angel
4. A Broken Frame
5. Some Great Reward
6. Delta Machine
7. Sounds of the Universe
8. Music for the Masses
9. Black Celebration
10. Songs of Faith and Devotion
11. Construction Time Again
12. Exciter
13. Ultra

Really tough call for #2 between Playing the Angel and Speak & Spell. I could go either way there.

I like your Top 5 blade, though i personally have ABF above S&S, but thats just my personal taste, but the thing that strikes me is you have Ultra in last place, even below exciter.

No love for Home, Its no Good, Insight, Useless?
IceMachine

Postby charlesfouret » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:42 am

IceMachine wrote:only thing Imo BC is a piece of its own stylewise and with the succeeding album MFTM they entered a new era, became poppier and slightly more mainstream again

For sure, there are differences between BC and MFTM, but there is a link. A song like AQOT could have been in MFTM. You probably noticed that it was the 1st video of Strange, and it is as poppy as Strangelove or NLMDA or BTW.
charlesfouret

Postby IceMachine » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:53 am

charlesfouret wrote:For sure, there are differences between BC and MFTM, but there is a link. A song like AQOT could have been in MFTM. You probably noticed that it was the 1st video of Strange, and it is as poppy as Strangelove or NLMDA or BTW.

I agree there are links, Behind The Wheel really could have been on BC, stylewise its a BC sort of song released on MFM, but tbh, I dont see much of a connection behind QoT and NLMDA. The latter song rather is a taste of what was to come on Violator. Just my opinion.
IceMachine

Postby charlesfouret » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:31 pm

IceMachine wrote:I agree there are links, Behind The Wheel really could have been on BC, stylewise its a BC sort of song released on MFM, but tbh, I dont see much of a connection behind QoT and NLMDA. The latter song rather is a taste of what was to come on Violator. Just my opinion.

Right, NLMDA couldn't be on BC. :)
But AQOT on MFTM, yes. ;)
charlesfouret

Postby Body Boy » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:39 am

blade69 wrote:1. Violator
2. Speak & Spell
3. Playing the Angel
4. A Broken Frame
5. Some Great Reward

Oh we're going to get along fine. :)
Body Boy

Postby charlesfouret » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:01 pm