All New ALBUM RANKINGS !!!

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Postby Body Boy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:38 am

IceMachine wrote:I agree with the poster you quoted in that DM when they were the 1980s synth pop i preferred them over the rock band they partly became in the 90s.


We're a rarity around here. lol
Body Boy
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:20 pm

Postby IceMachine » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:15 am

Body Boy wrote:We're a rarity around here. lol



Are we indeed? I haven't been around for long enough on this site to be able to make a statement but I assume you must be right, though.


Seeing you have a similar approach as I, what do you think of the last four DM albums the ones released in the 2000s I mean.
User avatar
IceMachine
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:27 pm
Location: Germany

Postby Feeling loved » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:11 pm

This is a recent gigwise poll where thousands of fans voted for Depeche album ranking & named SOFAD the band's best album ever. It narrowly beat Violator to take the top spot. The poll is now closed.

Top Five
1. Songs Of Faith And Devotion
2. Violator
3. Black Celebration
4. Music For The Masses
5. Ultra

Worst Five
1. Speak And Spell
2. A Broken Frame
3. Construction Time Again
4. Sounds Of The Universe
5. Exciter

http://www.gigwise.com/news/88704/depeche-mode-fans-name-songs-of-faith-+-devotion-the-bands-best-ever

I can't get access to the poll itself to know the order of Delta machine, Playing the angel & Some great reward. But they're in the middle.
Shackled and bound by the sound of his voice.
User avatar
Feeling loved
 
Posts: 1991
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:43 pm
Location: UK

Postby Body Boy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:27 am

IceMachine wrote:Are we indeed? I haven't been around for long enough on this site to be able to make a statement but I assume you must be right, though.


Seeing you have a similar approach as I, what do you think of the last four DM albums the ones released in the 2000s I mean.


Hmm, well I think in general they're a low point. I think Playing the Angel is the best of the lot, and is even stronger than SOFAD imo (unpopular opinion, yes yes, I know...) but the other three are in my bottom. I think. Depends on the day whether I prefer Delta Machine to SOFAD or not. But I really don't think DM is anything to rave about from where I stand. Nothing really stands out and I want to listen to it only once every few months. But I prefer it to Sounds of the Universe, which has even less to distinguish it. Though they're interchangeable. Exciter I fear will always be on my bottom. But a couple tracks are warming up to me. As a whole, it's quite a bore. I'm happy the last couple albums have tried to incorporate more electronic, but Depeche Mode as of late needs to experiment more. That's what I loved about their 80s days. There's a lot of experimentation. Sure it's less polished and about them finding their structure, but sometimes the ride is better than the destination. Violator is the final album that I really loved, but Ultra is what I consider the best from their rocky side.


Feeling loved wrote:Worst Five
1. Speak And Spell
2. A Broken Frame
3. Construction Time Again

4. Sounds Of The Universe
5. Exciter

http://www.gigwise.com/news/88704/depeche-mode-fans-name-songs-of-faith-+-devotion-the-bands-best-ever


Oh my god. :confused:
Body Boy
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:20 pm

Postby IceMachine » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:55 am

Body Boy wrote:Hmm, well I think in general they're a low point. I think Playing the Angel is the best of the lot, and is even stronger than SOFAD imo (unpopular opinion, yes yes, I know...) but the other three are in my bottom. I think. Depends on the day whether I prefer Delta Machine to SOFAD or not. But I really don't think DM is anything to rave about from where I stand. Nothing really stands out and I want to listen to it only once every few months. But I prefer it to Sounds of the Universe, which has even less to distinguish it. Though they're interchangeable. Exciter I fear will always be on my bottom. But a couple tracks are warming up to me. As a whole, it's quite a bore. I'm happy the last couple albums have tried to incorporate more electronic, but Depeche Mode as of late needs to experiment more. That's what I loved about their 80s days. There's a lot of experimentation. Sure it's less polished and about them finding their structure, but sometimes the ride is better than the destination. Violator is the final album that I really loved, but Ultra is what I consider the best from their rocky side.




Oh my god. :confused:


without wanting to go into too much detail, i feel the same as you, generally speaking, with their last 4 albums there are a few gems within a mass of mediocre and unappealling songs and it seems DMs lost their inspiration to an extent. From their earlier work I found ultra to be on par or rather even slightly better than sofad, Id agree Violater was their peak, Ultra imo was the last conving album they produced. Im still happy they carry on as that way there is hope they might make another great album to pick up from where they had left off in the 90s. The music style of theirs thats dearest to me still is what they did in the early 80s, though i respect what they did in their rocky period.


I will watch out for your posts
User avatar
IceMachine
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:27 pm
Location: Germany

Postby BOSTIK » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:30 pm

IceMachine wrote:I concur with a lot of what you said though i quite like meaning of love, but the other songs you listed are pretty bad, still, the good material on Sas and ABf in my eyes far outweights the bad stuff plus as you ve said theres good bs sides that albeit they werent on the albums they are from that era. I agree with the poster you quoted in that DM when they were the 1980s synth pop i preferred them over the rock band they partly became in the 90s.

Your last phrase is spot on if Sas had ice machine and shout on it and had they dropped whats your name and boys say go for these the album would be brilliant instead of merely very good (my stance).


To be honest, I think they ceased being a synth-pop band after CTA. The next two albums, SGR & BC (both excellent), are musically much heavier than anything which preceded them, despite the presence of synth-based music on both. When "Stripped" was released as a single it was a watershed moment - it was a clear statement of a shift in musical direction. No more JCGE-type tracks as singles again.
BOSTIK
sort of read the F.A.Q.
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Postby IceMachine » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:44 pm

BOSTIK wrote:To be honest, I think they ceased being a synth-pop band after CTA. The next two albums, SGR & BC (both excellent), are musically much heavier than anything which preceded them, despite the presence of synth-based music on both. When "Stripped" was released as a single it was a watershed moment - it was a clear statement of a shift in musical direction. No more JCGE-type tracks as singles again.




I agree with the release of BC they werent synth pop anymore, but SGR is a different case, a few songs are heavier but on the whole its sort of in between the two styles but still more on the synth pop side PLUS they did an excellent Shake the desease single that imo was pure synth pop (imo) even after SGR in 1985

For me their early initial period ended in 1985, with the first singles compilation, from there they started something new with BC. I remember buying that said album in spring of 1986 and it was heralded as the new Dep Mode style in the press, meaning this was actually meant to be a major break compared to their early style.
User avatar
IceMachine
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:27 pm
Location: Germany

Postby Body Boy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:28 pm

I consider their synth pop period to be Speak & Spell to Violator (1981-1990). True, they hit a dark streak, but I think that the core is still there. It's when the rock overpowers the electronics in SOFAD that I consider it the beginning of something new.
Body Boy
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:20 pm

Postby hl141 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:14 am

Feeling loved wrote:This is a recent gigwise poll where thousands of fans voted for Depeche album ranking & named SOFAD the band's best album ever. It narrowly beat Violator to take the top spot. The poll is now closed.

Top Five
1. Songs Of Faith And Devotion
2. Violator
3. Black Celebration
4. Music For The Masses
5. Ultra

Worst Five
1. Speak And Spell
2. A Broken Frame
3. Construction Time Again
4. Sounds Of The Universe
5. Exciter

http://www.gigwise.com/news/88704/depeche-mode-fans-name-songs-of-faith-+-devotion-the-bands-best-ever

I can't get access to the poll itself to know the order of Delta machine, Playing the angel & Some great reward. But they're in the middle.


Wow,:eek: the top five are almost exact to my ranking, except I would switch Ultra and MFTM.
I definitely like Ultra more than MFTM.

The bottom five hmmmmm, I wouldn't put Exciter or SOTU in the bottom.
I kind of like SOTU and Exciter has grown on me.

What about PTA??
PTA, in my opinion, would be #6.
hl141
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:43 am
Location: New York

Postby charlesfouret » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:50 pm

Body Boy wrote:I consider their synth pop period to be Speak & Spell to Violator (1981-1990). True, they hit a dark streak, but I think that the core is still there. It's when the rock overpowers the electronics in SOFAD that I consider it the beginning of something new.


Interesting.

But Black Celebration is the real beginning of something new as well.
Darker, deeper, with synths OK, but end of poppy music IMHO. Start of something more mature.

For me, I would classify the eras like that:

1- Fresh synth/pop
- Frenesy of production (1 album per year)
SAS, ABF, CTA, SGR (+Singles 81-85 to close the chapter) --> Not my preferred era now but contains some gems, and CTA must be played as a whole (the best one of the era for me)

2- Maturity and zenith
BC, MFTM and Violator.
What to say except it's genius.

3- Sex, Drug and Rock and Roll
SOFAD, Ultra (+ Singles 81-98 to close the chapter)
2 powerful rock albums, with unfortunately Alan's departure in between.
But they proved they can work without Alan with Ultra (I was very surprised, but a lot of wonderful and powerful tracks)

4- ???
Exciter, PTA, SOTU,DM... some gems, some hits on PTA.
But inspiration starts to be lost in general.
And sounds and production is... Hillier and Martin old odd synths.
Nothing new (they've tried with Exciter...). In the previous eras, Depeche was used to invente sounds -create new things, and only them were able to.
Now Martin is more focussed on slow melodies and thinks old odd synths can replace new sounds creation.
We need more advanced technology, Mart!
And if you can't do, ask Alan! :D
User avatar
charlesfouret
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:09 pm
Location: France

PreviousNext

Return to Depeche Mode Related

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests