Dm... On vinyl

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Dm... On vinyl

Postby DeVoteD » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:35 am

Where's the best place to buy their albums on Vinyl?

Are there any particular pressings that are better than others?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Gary
Tonight I'm in the hands of fate......
DeVoteD

Postby ShabbyDoll » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:55 pm

I've bought a few off of eBay and Amazon just because my local record stores no longer carried them. Get them new. Several were re-released in 2007 with digitally remastered heavy vinyl LP pressing in gatefold heavy card board sleeves. I've bought SOFAD, Violator, MFM, BC and I plan to get Ultra.
ShabbyDoll

Postby DeVoteD » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:18 am

Thanks for the advice - Ordered Violator, SOFAD, MFTM... from Amazon.... and PTA from discogs. Had to sell one of my kidneys to purchase PTA though!!!
Tonight I'm in the hands of fate......
DeVoteD

Postby Debauchery » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:45 am

DeVoteD wrote:Thanks for the advice - Ordered Violator, SOFAD, MFTM... from Amazon.... and PTA from discogs. Had to sell one of my kidneys to purchase PTA though!!!

I enjoy Discogs.
The Stars in the Sky bring tears to my eyes
they're lighting my way Tonight
Debauchery
DMMB Survivor

Postby TreatMeLikeADog » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:45 am

I used to get mine from HMV, but they're obviously gone now.

Amazon tends to be where I get them now, or Ebay for some (Playing The Angel, Singles 81-85 and 86-98)

the two singles albums sound fantastic. The Best Of Vol 1 and the Soulsavers LPs are the worst two in my opinion. I think my favourite album on vinyl at the moment is probably Exciter. SOFAD works well as well.

Some songs like Precious and Wrong sound amazing for not having the dynamics pushed too high. Remastered definitely means "Will sound wonderful on you iPod, but sound like you are being shouted at on anything expensive"
Let's play....Come On....
TreatMeLikeADog

Postby ShabbyDoll » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:56 pm

TreatMeLikeADog wrote:Remastered definitely means "Will sound wonderful on you iPod, but sound like you are being shouted at on anything expensive"

I agree. Many of them are just mastered too loud and lose a lot of the sound quality in the process. I have been lucky so far with the sound on the albums I've bought.
In some cases I've bought the used, original vinyl records only to find that they (despite the seller's description) were in pretty bad shape (crackling, skips, pops). Unused copies of the original vinyls are obviously too expensive. It can be really hit or miss with remastered albums.
ShabbyDoll

PTA- why not available on vinyl??

Postby niklaw » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:47 pm

In this day and age of the consumer being king how come Playing the Angel is not available from Mute or Amazon??? Someone's missing a trick here.
niklaw

Postby TreatMeLikeADog » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:54 pm

ShabbyDoll wrote:I agree. Many of them are just mastered too loud and lose a lot of the sound quality in the process. I have been lucky so far with the sound on the albums I've bought.
In some cases I've bought the used, original vinyl records only to find that they (despite the seller's description) were in pretty bad shape (crackling, skips, pops). Unused copies of the original vinyls are obviously too expensive. It can be really hit or miss with remastered albums.

I've had new ones that have crackles. Both my copies of SOTU and Ultra have quite bad noise over quieter sections of Peace and Uselink. On ebay I've bought some promos of OWILM, IFL, Precious and Dream On and they all sound incredible

niklaw wrote:In this day and age of the consumer being king how come Playing the Angel is not available from Mute or Amazon??? Someone's missing a trick here.

It's amazing it's been deleted when it's still such a recent release. I bought mine second hand, but I'll always kick myself for not buying it on release. I was lucky mine is in really good condition.
Let's play....Come On....
TreatMeLikeADog

Postby told_you_so » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:02 pm

I was in John Lewis just before Christmas and the had SOFAD on vinyl. it was the most random thing i had ever seen. there i was looking for inspiration to buy a present for mi mam and then i cam across that!!
naturally i bought it even though i dont own a record player
told_you_so
DMMB Survivor

Postby ShabbyDoll » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:26 pm

TreatMeLikeADog wrote:I've had new ones that have crackles. Both my copies of SOTU and Ultra have quite bad noise over quieter sections of Peace and Uselink. On ebay I've bought some promos of OWILM, IFL, Precious and Dream On and they all sound incredible

It's amazing it's been deleted when it's still such a recent release. I bought mine second hand, but I'll always kick myself for not buying it on release. I was lucky mine is in really good condition.

You're right sometimes the new ones crackle too, which is utterly frustrating.

told_you_so
I was in John Lewis just before Christmas and the had SOFAD on vinyl. it was the most random thing i had ever seen. there i was looking for inspiration to buy a present for mi mam and then i cam across that!!
naturally i bought it even though i dont own a record player
I didn't get vinyl before I bought a record player and I am kicking myself for it because it was so much cheaper to buy them when they first come out.
ShabbyDoll

Next

Return to Depeche Mode Related