The biggest "gripe" you have with SOTU

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Postby DRE7861 » Sat May 29, 2010 6:42 pm

On my iPod I did a little reprogramming of the track order for SOTU which I think improved it [mind you I always did like the album]. I switched out Peace for Ghost. The later flows more smothly out of In Sympathy and makes the hard entrance to Come Back less jarring. After a couple of months of not listening to the album I listen to it on a long car trip and each time I felt the album sagged when it got to that spot. But now it is a very solid album! Try it and see if the album doesn't go better!

Of course that means Peace would become an extra track in the Box Set but I put it between Light and The Sun And The Moon And The Stars, where it seems to blend quite nicely. It is amazing what moving one track will do.

But if this had happened in another universe that means the singles choices would have been different. My choices would have been: Wrong, Perfect, In Sympathy and a double single of either Hole To Feed/Fragile Tension or Hole To Feed/Ghost.
It's like yesterday's future
DRE7861

Postby nostalgicfashion » Sun May 30, 2010 6:37 am

The songs kinda sound the same, not really but.. on Songs of Faith and Devotion all the songs sound different. I remember hearing a interview on Playing the Angel where somebody said how certain songs don't fit in with the album. I don't think they need to. It would be better if they took each song and did what was best for that song. And not worry about them fitting together. Not that I am a expert.
"They say you will never care for me"
nostalgicfashion
DMMB Survivor

Postby Depechebrode » Sun May 30, 2010 7:06 pm

My Biggest Gripe, is all the moaner fans who whine about every record not being like Violater...20 years ago!! another is for you guys who compare and whine that it doesn't sound like SOFAD or any others... It should'nt it's an album of it's own. Just like all other Mode albums. Love in itself.. or leave it in silence.. but for god sakes don't take the piss out of it! :)
Open the door it's only me:cool:
Depechebrode

Postby WayneUK » Sun May 30, 2010 8:53 pm

Depechebrode wrote:My Biggest Gripe, is all the moaner fans who whine about every record not being like Violater...20 years ago!! another is for you guys who compare and whine that it doesn't sound like SOFAD or any others... It should'nt it's an album of it's own. Just like all other Mode albums. Love in itself.. or leave it in silence.. but for god sakes don't take the piss out of it! :)

The good thing is, DM have never made two albums that sound the same and I don't think that will change anytime soon ;-)
A DM fan. Not a Dave fan, not an Alan fan and not a Martin fan, just a DM fan.
WayneUK

Postby darkdreamer » Sun May 30, 2010 10:01 pm

Depechebrode wrote:My Biggest Gripe, is all the moaner fans who whine about every record not being like Violater...20 years ago!! another is for you guys who compare and whine that it doesn't sound like SOFAD or any others... It should'nt it's an album of it's own. Just like all other Mode albums. Love in itself.. or leave it in silence.. but for god sakes don't take the piss out of it! :)

No need for the smiley Brody. I totally agree with the above statement.
Shaking The Disease
darkdreamer

Postby Minky Starshine » Sun May 30, 2010 10:15 pm

Obviously Violator broke them worldwide, especially America... but I also think the record sort of hurts / haunts them in the present, if you know what I mean. Every album post-Violator gets the how it rates to "it" review. Personally I listen to that album the least out of all of them.
Minky Starshine
DMMB Survivor

Postby WayneUK » Mon May 31, 2010 11:05 am

Minky Starshine wrote:Obviously Violator broke them worldwide, especially America... but I also think the record sort of hurts / haunts them in the present, if you know what I mean. Every album post-Violator gets the how it rates to "it" review. Personally I listen to that album the least out of all of them.

Violator and SOFAD were huge worldwide and that is reflected in setlists.

PJ, ETS, WIMS and IFY are the only 4 from those two album should be in every set list imo.
A DM fan. Not a Dave fan, not an Alan fan and not a Martin fan, just a DM fan.
WayneUK

Postby stummute » Mon May 31, 2010 10:51 pm

Violator has more over-all sales (by a landslide), but SOFAD is the only Album that made it to the US's #1 Billboard spot. I dont think they suffer from "i wish it sounded like.." reviews or issues when it comes to new records. The only ppl that seem think that way reside on these forums. Every single one of the records has been far different from the last. Except PTA and SOTU... I think they're way too much alike... which comes from the producer, and is my main gripe. That and the album is way too linear.. too tightly rigid and too short.
stummute

Postby Depechebrode » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:12 am

darkdreamer wrote:No need for the smiley Brody. I totally agree with the above statement.

Thank you John :D
Depechebrode

Postby Depechebrode » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:18 am

stummute wrote:Violator has more over-all sales (by a landslide), but SOFAD is the only Album that made it to the US's #1 Billboard spot. I dont think they suffer from "i wish it sounded like.." reviews or issues when it comes to new records. The only ppl that seem think that way reside on these forums. Every single one of the records has been far different from the last. Except PTA and SOTU... I think they're way too much alike... which comes from the producer, and is my main gripe. That and the album is way too linear.. too tightly rigid and too short.

Hmm... but the only people it should matter to is the people here residing in this forum.. We are the fans.. and we are the one's who purchase the albums... I love every DM album just the way they are! each one holds it's own atmosphere... no matter who produces them. They all are GREAT in thier each own way.. no complaints here, but to each thier own.

Carry on... :rolleyes:
Depechebrode

Previous

Return to Depeche Mode Related