Black Celebration / Music For The Masses - 12" Box Sets

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

Black Celebration / Music For The Masses - 12" Box Sets

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:20 pm

https://www.depechemodeboxsets.com/

On May 31st, the 12" single box sets for "Black Celebration" and "Music For The Masses" will be released.

Discuss!
Admin

Re: Black Celebration / Music For The Masses - 12" Box Sets

Postby Tioneb » Fri May 03, 2019 1:16 pm

Very happy to see these two box sets released. We're entering the most exciting era in Depeche Mode's history. I can't wait for the Violator and SoFaD box sets! :D

But why are Shake the Disease and It's Called a Heart not included (while Get the Balance Right luckily was)? Can you inform us about the band/label's intentions regarding these two singles? Will they be re-released later?

I find the artwork for the Black Celebration box set to be very reminiscent of... Spirit. I would personally have chosen another picture, but that's a minor quibble. The missing singles annoy me much more.
Tioneb
DMMB Veteran

Postby Admin » Fri May 03, 2019 5:20 pm

"I am the archivist. I am not the producer."
Admin

Postby davidcdawson » Wed May 22, 2019 9:02 pm

I was also surprised that Shake the Disease and It's Called a Heart weren't included in the Black Celebration box.

It wouldn't be as aesthetically pleasing, but perhaps a "Singles"-themed box that includes Shake the Disease, It's Called a Heart, Everything Counts (Live) and Only When I Lose Myself could happen down the road.
davidcdawson

Postby Exciter10 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:49 pm

davidcdawson wrote:I was also surprised that Shake the Disease and It's Called a Heart weren't included in the Black Celebration box.

It wouldn't be as aesthetically pleasing, but perhaps a "Singles"-themed box that includes Shake the Disease, It's Called a Heart, Everything Counts (Live) and Only When I Lose Myself could happen down the road.

Don't forget Martyr was released off the back of the Best Of album, and then what about Enjoy The Silence 04 and Personal Jesus 11 both released to link with the 2 Remixes albums.
Exciter10
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby Seifert101 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:31 am

I consider myself a relatively dedicated fan, since I discovered DM right after their Some Great Reward release. I have more or less grudgingly bought the last 4 albums, but deep within my DM soul, I don’t really feel they have produced a worthy album since Ultra. Yes, DM has changed sounds several times, most notable in my opinion, between Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion. Still once this remastered release project of their single on vinyl came about I was thrilled because here was my chance to expand my DM vinyl collection with the basics and I’m grateful that Sony at least included download codes to the singles in high audio quality so we don’t have to do it ourselves. However at the very steep price Sony has set for the project, they should at least include a little more information about some of the proceeds that goes to support the water project in Africa.
Seifert101

Postby Tioneb » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:38 am

I received the two box sets yesterday. I am truly impressed by the care they took in reproducing the original artwork, including the type of cardboard used (special for Behind the Wheel), the embossed Stripped sleeve (which my original copy doesn't even have), the limited edition sticker on some sleeves, the mixed glossy/mat sleeve for Question of Lust, the second QoL disc which I believe was originally released in cassette only, the vivid colors...

It could have been even better if they had reproduced the original limited colored vinyl editions, like the transparent orange Strangelove 12" I have... but do not spoil our pleasure, those two box sets, even more than the previous ones, are truly amazing.
Tioneb
DMMB Veteran

Postby davidcdawson » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:50 pm

I agree that the sleeve reproduction quality has been stellar. The coloured vinyl editions were German releases, I believe. I think the intention is for these sets to mimic the original Mute releases. If that’s the case, I’m afraid the only coloured vinyl we would see will be Goodnight Lovers.
davidcdawson

Postby Tioneb » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:05 pm

I believe you're correct about the colored vinyl editions being German. Mine is (German sticker on the sleeve, label mentioning "manufactured by Intercord Ton GmbH, Stuttgart, licensee").
Tioneb
DMMB Veteran

Postby TheHandshake » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:05 am

Can’t believe Shake the Disease was not included. Also, bummed that Nothing Zip Hop mix was not included...nevertheless, tremendous quality and, as my collection of all the DM singles was stolen in 2000, it does fill a huge void. Worth every penny.
TheHandshake

Return to Depeche Mode Related