What song is the better to represent DM and why?

Discussion for Depeche Mode, and Depeche Mode related topics.

What song is the better to represent DM and why?

Postby violatore » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:32 pm

Imagine you have a conversation with somenone that doesn't know the band. Maybe he/she doesn't even have a clue about the genere they belong to (whatever you consider it to be) and you have only one song to make him/her figure it out.
What is THE song (only one) that you would play?

Mine:

World in my Eyes

Because the riff that's based on is radical and monophonic, the rithm is powerful and groovie, the harmony is dark and blusie, the lyrics are mystic and sexy, and it builds into something very soul moving without losing the groove.

Do you have one that you think represents them better?
Why does it?
violatore
DMMB Survivor

Re: What song is the better to represent DM and why?

Postby charlesfouret » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:52 pm

Do you mean that there is no chance he/she knows anything from DM, even JCGE?
So you're talking about an alien? :D
OK, so I would choose probably NDLA or ETS, for the layering, which is really symbolic of DM (at least until 1997...) compared to classic/standard pop/rock bands. To make him/her feel how that music is rich compared to the other ones.
Possibly also GTBR 12" or BTW in that way, considering the layers come slowly one after the other: he/she can feel how it is built more easily.
charlesfouret

Postby violatore » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:10 pm

charlesfouret wrote:Do you mean that there is no chance he/she knows anything from DM, even JCGE?
OK, so I would choose probably NDLA or ETS, for the layering, which is really symbolic of DM (at least until 1997...) compared to classic/standard pop/rock bands. To make him/her feel how that music is rich compared to the other ones.
Possibly also GTBR 12" or BTW in that way, considering the layers come slowly one after the other: he/she can feel how it is built more easily.

I said Just One Song ;)
violatore
DMMB Survivor

Postby charlesfouret » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:54 pm

violatore wrote:
charlesfouret wrote:Do you mean that there is no chance he/she knows anything from DM, even JCGE?

I said Just One Song ;)

ENJOY THE SILENCE (The Quad: Final Mix)
charlesfouret

Postby Tioneb » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:55 pm

Tough question... There are many good candidates (NLMDA for its stratospheric and layered sound, AQOT for the catchyness of the tune vs. the darkness of the lyrics, ETS for it is the perfect pop song...).

However I think I'd choose Personal Jesus album version, because
1) It's a wonderful, catchy song.
2) It's been covered by well known artists of different musical styles (Johnny Cash, Marylin Manson...), so there's a chance my friend would know about the song even if they're not in electronic music and I'd be happy to let them hear the original version.
3) The first part is guitar-based and can serve as an introduction to more recent DM music, while the second part is electronic and is a good representation of electronic DM at their best. Not many songs mix so well these two aspects of DM's music.
4) This song and the whole Violator album were so important in my youth, and still remain among the music that touches me the most, that it would be difficult to me to select another one.
Tioneb
DMMB Veteran

Postby Strange_highs » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:07 am

Enjoy the Silence is the most representative of the band and it is their most successful song. Strong lyrics and melody, powerfull and haunting beautiful arrangements. Overall, the song is very well polished. It's DM at the peak of their powers.
Strange_highs

Postby empire_river » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:45 am

I think i would play Policy of Truth, because it's one of my favorite DM songs.
:)
empire_river

Postby violatore » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:47 pm

violatore wrote:
Because the riff that's based on is radical and monophonic, the rithm is powerful and groovie, the harmony is dark and blusie, the lyrics are mystic and sexy, and it builds into something very soul moving without losing the groove.

Ok, I know I said "just one song", but I've found one as good, if not better, than my first choice. That would be Fly on the Windscreen. Because most of the reasons above mentioned + the smapling and industrial feel (that was not so much represented in WIME).

Let's do just one song per reply ;)
violatore
DMMB Survivor

Postby alicedm » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:41 am

It's No Good

There's something about that song that screams "this is Depeche Mode."
Somebody.
My depeche mode blog
alicedm
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby iminthezombieroom » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:42 pm

I love the song Shame from construction time again, represents the start for me of darker lyrics and content so that song can be considered, just my useless opinion

dm4life
iminthezombieroom
DMMB Veteran

Return to Depeche Mode Related