Chicago June 1st

Discuss the Global Spirit Tour here.

Moderators: Pelicanito, steventoo, Admin

Chicago June 1st

Postby depeche6633 » Wed May 30, 2018 2:29 pm

Anyone else getting excited about the show on Friday?!

Driving in from Omaha on Friday and couldn't be brimming with more anticipation!
We don't have great seats for the show (300 sections) due to the cost, but excited nonetheless (had similar seats for show 4 of the LA Forum shows in '93 and still loved it!)

This will be my 22nd DM show since '93 (my wife's 4th) and have seen them in Chicago twice ('98 & '01). The '98 show (Rosemont) holds a special place in my heart.
The afternoon of that show a friend and I were at Water tower place mall getting on an escalator and Martin passed me on the opposite lift. I had to do a double take to be sure it was him! Caught up with him and introduced myself, asked for a quick photo (with my friends old school 35mm FILM camera - lol) and he shook my hand and said "I hope you enjoy the show". Needless to say I was on cloud nine for the remainder of the day/night.

Can't wait!
depeche6633

Re: Chicago June 1st

Postby sashmode » Wed May 30, 2018 5:37 pm

Pictures please)
sashmode
DMMB Survivor

Postby depeche6633 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:48 pm

https://s26.postimg.cc/rg6p7do1l/Martin2.jpg

obviously not fantastic due to a scan from a 19 1/2 year old 35mm 3x5 but... you get the gist (and my friend obviously did not know how to take photos)
depeche6633

Postby cleveland » Thu May 31, 2018 6:00 am

Just a little bit of a downer here but I feel the need to let ya'll know what we are all in for Friday. I paid for parking at the United Center and lot doesn't open until 5:30. SOOOOOOOO Friday, driving around big old Chicago (I am not a big city girl and traffic scares me driving in it like that) in RUSH HOUR traffic. Plus one of their baseball teams has a home game AND worst of all the football field has that HUGE taylor swift concert same night too. So all of us lost out of towners who are going to try to get there are going to have all that to fight through. I just am afraid it might not be able to be done. I feel like this may be my last depeche mode ever due to health issues and I don't want to miss a single song. I called and asked them to reconsider letting us all in the lot at least before rush hour due to all of these events but they won't budge. I told them we are a great and respectable bunch of well behaved fans they have no worries from us, no dice. If any of you are from Chicago can you give us small city folks some hints how to pull this off. Like maybe some kind of holding place where we can get to town like 2 or 3 pm and just hang out in a vacant lot or somewhere and stay hidden so when it gets close to lot time we won't have to mess around and at least be off the highway? We appreciate our locals, they always come through for us. Everybody have a great time, especially those going to the pre concert get together. I was going to go but 65 a ticket too steep for me. Thanks in advance!
cleveland

Postby sashmode » Thu May 31, 2018 3:01 pm

Great pic!!! Is it Eminem? :)
sashmode
DMMB Survivor

Postby cleveland » Thu May 31, 2018 5:52 pm

Unless someone local comes on from Chicago with some advice or another member who has been to the venue before comes on I guess this is going to be an adventure for sure. I am terrified to drive in big cities as it is and all these events and rush hour I just don't know if I will make it in time for the show. Someone said I could take a train from where we are staying in Joliet but I don't know how any of this works either. Like are they running 24/7 and after the concert is it safe to walk around these places. Hopefully someone will come here with some good information for me/us.
cleveland

Postby depeche6633 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:33 pm

sashmode wrote:Great pic!!! Is it Eminem? :)

Lol.. no. Honestly I can't believe I recognized him with long coat, hat and glasses.. (but then.... I'd been a hardcore fan since '84 so.. :) as he passed me i thought "oh, it's Martin... (pause) OMG! It's effing MARTIN GORE!" (trying to enhance my calm)
Hard to tell in the pic but the picture capture Mart with his tongue out :p
depeche6633

Postby depeche6633 » Thu May 31, 2018 6:41 pm

^ don't get too freaked out! I'm not a local but looks like it's about an hour drive from Joliet to the United Center.. if you leave around 3:30/3:45 you should be fine... better to get there a early than have to worry about being late. Not sure what's around the United Center (?) but gotta be some way to kill some time before the lots open (? Speaking as anything but a local. When we were there over a year ago for White Lies we just took uber everywhere)
depeche6633

Postby xJoker » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:58 pm

The show was goddamn amazing. Having gone to DM concerts since 2006, I could not believe it! They seemed more raw (hungry!) and fresher than ever before. It was not in any way noticeable that this tour has been going on for more than a year. Anyone else who went and felt the same vibes???
xJoker
DMMB Veteran

Postby Rexstardust » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:46 pm

I saw them in Tulsa a couple of nights before the Chicago show, and I, too, thought their energy was electric. Though a fan since Violator, this was my first time experiencing the band live. It was everything I hoped it would be. Incredible.
Rexstardust

Next

Return to Global Spirit Tour