DM in Argentina Sound and Vision Disaster

Discuss the Global Spirit Tour here.

Moderators: Pelicanito, steventoo, Admin

DM in Argentina Sound and Vision Disaster

Postby violatore » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:32 pm

Ok, guys, DM played their 3rd show ever in Argentina and almost everything went Wrong.

Support act, Juana Molina, played with good sound (it started acceptable, and it got better) and the video screens fully operational.

Hublot-Charity Water spot, video working properly, great sound.

DM comes out. Audio mix not good, screens work during Going Backwards and It's No Good, but then... no video at all.

And the sound mix doesn't get better (in It's No Good the synths are too loud, so the sound engineer turns them down. Forever).

So the band stops to check? Say something? No! They continue like Nothing happens.
Obviosly aware of what was happening they put all the energy in making it a great show anyway... only that they put that energy in the wrong place, the "show", not the music.
Dave in his "rock" persona and with his "rock" voice (I assume, because I couldn't see almost anything) moved, and danced and yelled more than ever. Christian covered every space of the audio spectrum like if it was heavy-metal and the sound engineer seems that he didn't know the band at all and thought everything was about the live drums.
So, no video, half of the synths lost and it doesn't sound like Depeche Mode.

You can't see anything and almost everything you can hear is drums and Dave barking.
I love Dave's "rock" persona. If you can see all his moves, poses and dances, everything makes sense. But if you can't see him, it's very frustrating that he screems more than he sings and lets the audience sing a lot of the choruses instead of doing it himself. He did what he always do. Maybe even more (and it's understandable under the circumstances). But I think that if you're Dave Gahan (and Depeche Mode), and the video fails, you *at least* have to make sure that everybody Listens to Depeche Mode. You calm down, relax, and use your (let's call it) "pop" voice (that is there intact, luckily, as everybody could hear, for instance, in Cover Me), and you sing all of the choruses (or the most you can), and dance only when the singing allows you to.

It's not that I hate him for doing the oposit. He did give everything, only that he give the wrong aspect, the "rock" and physical one, that without screens, only the ones at the VIP could see (and not all of them), and the ones that could see him ended up saying that it was his best performance. You have to be in his shoes to know what he must have thought of how to compensate the lack of screens, but the ones not at the VIP (most of the audience) only got heavy metal drums and barking.

At the middle of the show, the screens came back! In the middle of Home up to the half of In Your Room (great thet they "recovered" the original version), then the screens died again (until the end of the show) and the whole stadium whisteled at them.

When the show ended (they didn't even add any song as a sort of compensation), the screens went on perfectly to show the exits of the stadium.

We couldn't see any Anton projetions. Nor listen to the band propperly. And it was very frustrating. They came here only 3 times. Last time was 9 years ago.

The following night they released this statement in their FB fanpage (only for Argentina):

"To all of the Argentinian fans:

We want to sincerely apologize to everyone who came to last night’s show in Buenos Aires for the technical issues that resulted in the loss of the video screens for the second part of the night. We always aim to put on the best show possible, including bringing a thoughtful and meaningful video show to complement our music, so we fully understand and share your frustration.

Part way through the show a technical fault arose which made it dangerous to continue using the video equipment. Our number one priority is always the health and safety of everyone in the venue, including our touring crew, the local crew, and everyone on stage. To this end, we had to power down the video screens to avoid endangering anyone’s safety. When touring in South America we rely on locally-hired light, video and sound equipment to supplement the gear and instruments that we're able to bring with us from show to show, and much to our disappointment as well as yours, the local video equipment unexpectedly failed.

Although the screens failed, the lighting and sound equipment were unaffected, the energy from all of the Argentinian fans was incredible, and we didn't want to let down everyone who had come out to La Plata for the show, so we decided to continue with the show. The show could go on, and we renewed our commitment to giving the best show possible.

The Argentinian fans are unrivaled and we so appreciate your endless energy and singing, as well as your understanding, which made last night one of the best shows on our tour.
"

That it was total BS, since the screens only worked properly for 4 songs (at the most), no Anton projections (except for the first song), the sound was awful and it's still in dispute if the local team or the DM technicians are to blame.

DM is my favourite band since 101. I love them no matter what, but that's preciselly the reason why this experience was heartbreaking.
violatore
DMMB Survivor

Re: DM in Argentina Sound and Vision Disaster

Postby GAN » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:22 pm

With the bitterest taste...
GAN
Read The F.A.Q, but ignoring it

Postby violatore » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:12 pm

GAN wrote:With the bitterest taste...

Indeed
violatore
DMMB Survivor

Postby Shadowman82 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:29 pm

As far as Audio is concerned they may rely on local equipment for certain speakers but the audio mix would almost certainly be done by the band's own sound mixer , always has .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Postby flighthalo » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:16 am

I have been to 7 shows in 4 countries and only in Denver did I think that they had a slight issue with a speaker on Martins side humming a little bit... all the other shows went on without issue and were amazing....it's difficult to blame the band for the technical issues and I'm sure it was very challenging for them to perform without their normal routine and visuals ....it's unfortunate it happened at your show but at the end of the day you probably have to just chalk it up as bad luck and hope that they return in another 4 years..
flighthalo

Postby buckets of lube » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:28 am

Reach out to the promoter and ask for a (partial) refund. Your writing is articulate and passionate enough that I hope would make a difference.
buckets of lube
DMMB Survivor

Postby violatore » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:49 pm

buckets of lube wrote:Reach out to the promoter and ask for a (partial) refund. Your writing is articulate and passionate enough that I hope would make a difference.

well, it's not about the money. And it was a birthday gift (they put the tickets on sale one year in advance). It's about the experience I've been waiting for for 9 years.
violatore
DMMB Survivor

Postby buckets of lube » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:50 pm

violatore wrote:
buckets of lube wrote:Reach out to the promoter and ask for a (partial) refund. Your writing is articulate and passionate enough that I hope would make a difference.

well, it's not about the money. And it was a birthday gift (they put the tickets on sale one year in advance). It's about the experience I've been waiting for for 9 years.

Totally understood, but your experience is in the past at this point. A media campaign where a ton of people asks for refunds could inspire the local promoter to do a better job next time.
buckets of lube
DMMB Survivor

Postby violatore » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:57 pm

buckets of lube wrote:Totally understood, but your experience is in the past at this point. A media campaign where a ton of people asks for refunds could inspire the local promoter to do a better job next time.

It's actually happening, asking for refund to the local promoter because he's the only one we can ask to, but now I know (for sure) that the equipment failure was on DM's part, that's why the screens and the sound failed only with them. The local promoter says everything is now juditialized, so he'll demand his refund to DM/LiveNation. I know the failure was on DM's equipment (and their lack of reaction to it) because half of the sequences didn't sound (Christian played more than usual to fill the gaps), the lights didn't work properly and the screens were dead for most of the show.
violatore
DMMB Survivor

Postby Shadowman82 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:26 pm

Kind of sad that DM pay so many people on their tours but they can't fix these kinds of issues .
Shadowman82
DMMB Elder

Next

Return to Global Spirit Tour