Devotees going to Isle of Wight Festival

Discuss the Global Spirit Tour here.

Moderators: Pelicanito, steventoo, Admin

Re: Devotees going to Isle of Wight Festival

Postby bodas73 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:47 pm

Posting from my phone so apologise for any spelling errors. Sent a tweet to Edith Bowman and she confirmed the band would only allow 20 mins of highlights. Personally I dont get this approach from the band, its left a pretty sour taste for a fan thats 44 and been going to see them since I was 13. Couldnt get to this as I am on my hols but was pretty excited about their first UK festival being on tv. Not wanting to soudd over dramatic but I think the last tour might well be my last, didnt really enjoy the Olympic park gig but MEN was way better but in truth it felt like it was gettig to the time to call it quits, enjoy their past music and walkaway, this has probably reinforced that theory. Enjoy the gig those that are there but I think tgats me done unless tgd band give a reason for this shambles.
bodas73

Postby jody o' hagan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:17 am

Looked like a tough night for the band, Dave tried his best but the crowd just weren't getting it. Summed it up when he said wakie wakie. Did l make the right decision not to go, if you were there let me know what it was like for a fan of the band.(hope you enjoyed it) I was disappointed in the week when l found out we would only see 20 mins on TV but l thought straightaway that would have been the bands choice no doubt there will be a DVDs before Christmas. Not keen on out door much better in an arena l think.
jody o' hagan
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby marlowmode » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:26 am

I hope you fans who went had a great night??I was going to go,does seem odd only 20 min air time, I know it was the bands choice in the end,so we get to see them at a rare festival in England on Tv and they can only give us 20 min!!!come on DM we get short changed enough by the lack of Uk dates you have given us on this tour one of your biggest to date!! I don't get it because the fans at last June massive London gig and last autumn at Manchester/Birmingham concerts where the best I have seen and so where your concerts.
marlowmode

Postby Gahan crazy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:51 am

Yes, it was very odd! I have been to five shows this tour and wasn't sure about going to see them at a festival, so decided not to go and watch the whole show at home.... so was really disappointed when i found out it was only going to be 20 minutes! Part of me felt better when i found out that it had been the bands decision and they hadn't been poorly treated, the other half of me wondering why, yes, they may have a dvd coming out at some point at the end of this huge tour, but still seems strange to me to only show four songs... we may never know the real reason.

I hope we get some feedback from someone who was there, this forum has been very quiet lately.
Let me hear you speaking just for me...
Gahan crazy

Postby marlowmode » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:09 am

Really got a feeling they should only 20 min air time because of next months last shows in Berlin will be recorded on live dvd so they want all the attention/Wonga going on them particularly shows than rather have a live DM setlist IOW dvd recording on sale elsewhere, so maybe the "Grabbing hands all for themselves after all"??
marlowmode

Postby dm tilershot » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:03 pm

did go and love it. they put on a good show xx
but I did feel , when they played songs like I just cant get enough , it went down better ?, as there was more Music fans then devotees !! so for festivals just play hits which people would know .
then its a win win .. in my opinion.x
dm tilershot

Postby jody o' hagan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:51 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. Couldn't agree more, l was wondering would they change the set list for the festivals, for a band that are not well known in their own country you would thing the best plan would be to play the hits.
jody o' hagan
sort of read the F.A.Q.

Postby Ultra1969 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:35 am

Having been going to see DM live since the SOFAD tour thought i would share my experience of going to see DM at the Isle of Wight Festival. It was a bit of a last minute decision for me to go but i though it would be the last chance to the band in the UK for a while and the fact they were playing a Festival, something they don't do much, made it more intriguing. It was a bit of a hectic day as i drove down from up north around lunch time and arrived in Southampton around tea time and got the Jet Ferry across to the island. When i got there given conflicting advice from a couple of locals about what bus i needed to take, there was supposed to be a Festival bus but i couldn't find it. Got a bus to Newport and it was about a 15 minute walk from there met another DM fan on the way who felt that it was a bit of risk the band playing has he didn't think DM are a Festival kind of band and talked about how you would describe DM to the non-converted Festival goers "Dave's a bit like Mick Jagger with his moves on stage". When i got to the Festival it was heaving with people, a few people remarked that it was much busier than the previous day. There were a few people dotted about with DM t-shirts on. But a lot of people seemed to be there for James Bay and Liam Gallagher and both went down really well with the crowd. Liam specifically asked a Depeche Mode fan at the front what he should close his set with and gave them 3 choices Live Forever, Wonderwall or F off and the DM fan went for the latter option and Liam responding said ok i'll sing both of them.
After Mr Gallagher had finished his set i made my way towards the front of the stage and found it pretty easy to get closer to the front than at a normal DM concert. In fact it was the closest to the stage i have been at a DM concert so that made it worth going alone. DM came on stage at around 10.20pm, great seeming them start an outdoor gig when the sun had gone down. Dave asked everyone if they were having a good time and said "now you get to the best". However the band didn't get the best reaction from the crowd at first during the second song "It's No Good" Dave held the microphone up to the audience and got a poor response back and Martin seemed a bit uncomfortable and got a luke warm reaction after "The Things You Said". It wasn't until "Everything Counts" during the second half of the set that the crowd came alive and Dave said "Well, wakey wakey!" after that the rest of the gig was great with "Personal Jesus" and "NLMDA" being personal highlights the band also played "Just Can't Get Enough" which was i think was an obvious choice for a Festival setlist. Although i think DM chose the right setlist for a Festival (only 2 songs from their latest album) they should have played a couple of their bigger/more well know songs at the start of the gig a point which is noted by this review http://www.nme.com/blogs/festivals-blog ... ow-2343189.
Think the band will have learned a lot from this for the other festival shows they are playing in Europe this summer and will tweak the setlist a little. Overall glad i went, got to see the band close up and i personally thought it was much better than last years London Stadium gig. Incidentally i managed to get the last ferry back to Southampton at 2.15am, which was packed, don't know what i would have done if i had missed it as all the hotels were booked up on the island and drove back home in the early hours. So all in all a bit hectic but worth it to see DM for one final time on this tour.
Ultra1969

Postby Electric » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:38 am

Only 2 songs from Spirit. Only 17 songs.

Hopefully more songs on the remaining festival dates?
Electric
ignoring the F.A.Q.

Postby patbangkok » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:13 pm

To be honest I think it's great that your average British music fans have never taken the boys seriously. They got a great bunch of devotees already but what the fickle UK public think doesn't really bother them.

The NME review says Martin didn't look too happy during the first half. So what.

http://www.nme.com/blogs/festivals-blog/depeche-mode-learn-work-british-festivals-first-isle-wight-show-2343189

I think I noticed a couple of knowing looks from Dave to the others during the 20mins shown. As if to say 'this is why we don't bother with UK festivals'

During the embarrasing Jonathan Ross show Andy even said ''Everywhere except this country'' when Ross asked where the fans were most crazy about them.

At the NOS festival, Portugal they played their usual set and the crowd were still well into it.

The boys don't need the general UK public for approval. Their stadium attendance numbers worldwide speak for themselves.
patbangkok

PreviousNext

Return to Global Spirit Tour