Devotees going to Isle of Wight Festival

Discuss the Global Spirit Tour here.

Moderators: Pelicanito, steventoo, Admin

Re: Devotees going to Isle of Wight Festival

Postby told_you_so » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:02 pm

Mode are just not suited to a UK festival crowd and never will be.
Take one look at the setlist and you can see why.
They would have to be pulling the likes of New Life, See You, People are People and Master and Servant out of the old hits bag to get any sort of reaction and we all no this just isnt going to happen.
Anyway I am off to Arras main square festival on 7/7 where I expect a much more enthusiastic reception.
told_you_so
DMMB Survivor

Postby Lady Gah-Gah » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:52 pm

All the media praise for Oasis/Liam Gallagher has always mystified me - dull dull dull - but each to their own I suppose. But the Independent's DM review was probably fairly accurate.

Having been gutted not to see DM at last year's 6 Music Festival (what I'd give to see them in a small venue), I was so excited at the news they'd be headlining the IOW festival that I snapped up tickets without paying any attention to the rest of the bill. My fave band playing fairly close to home - what's not to like?! How long has it been since they played anywhere in the UK other than the major cities? Having dreamed of them headlining Glastonbury one day - and finally showing the wider UK public what legends they are (pipe dream?!) - I was hoping this might come a close second. However, as the date drew closer and the full lineup was revealed I began to get more nervous that this was not the sort of festival for them. The weather was glorious, the gold and glittery outfits were great fun and it was pretty family-friendly, but looking around the crowd on Saturday and hearing one snoresville dad-rock act after another on the main stage (Kodaline, James Bay, Liam Gallagher...) - and seeing how well they went down - it became clear that this was a largely mainstream crowd enjoying a very middle of the road lineup. It was going to be difficult for DM to fit in from the offset. I don't think age had anything to do with it ("younger festival goers didn't get it") as we all know that DM have many younger fans around the globe. Just not at this type of event! So it was a joy to spot the DM t-shirt-wearing Devotees who were there! And thank goodness there were other things to do: we sought refuge from the main stage in the wonderful Cirque de la Quirk and the many fairground rides (a great way to placate the kids, although they did virtually bankrupt us).
Had to endure the latter part of Mr Gallagher's set in order to get our spot for DM but he did actually make me laugh when he commented that he could see the DM fans at the front yawning away - exactly how I was feeling!
As the sun went down, the lights came on and the Beatles' Revolution started playing, I got really excited, but my heart started to sink when they launched into Going Backwards and I realised this was going to be a standard Spirit tour setlist (give or take a couple of tracks). I loved last summer's London Stadium gig, but, one year on, I thought they might have mixed it up a bit more and given that this was a mainstream festival it probably called for a big hit to get the majority going from the start. Fair play to DM for sticking to their guns but it did feel a bit uncomfortable (and it showed on Martin's face). Because we had the children with us we were further back than we'd normally be and were therefore in with the talking-through-a-gig and the "when are they going to play Just Can't Get Enough?" crowd which didn't help the ambience either. As many of the reviews have said, things only really got going for the whole crowd in the second half. By then we'd decided enough was enough and convinced the kids that we all had to move forward! As Ultra1969 said, it was actually much easier to get closer to the front than at a normal DM gig and what a difference it made being amongst other fans! Fantastic! And well done to you Ultra1969 for enduring a considerable journey to see the boys - showed your devotion!

I wish I could see them at one of the mainland Europe gigs but it just isn't feasible for me.

I preferred the London Stadium gig but whatever anyone says about this one it was still a treat to see them live again as I never know if it will be the last time! Even the kids, ever sceptical at the beginning, said they'd had a good time at the festival, although I had to laugh when our youngest described Martin as a "scary granny - like something out of Coraline" (time to lose the black eye makeup Martin?!) I had to inform her of the pitfalls of the ageing process...

When leaving the main stage area after the show we overheard a let's say 70+ couple discussing the gig. The man thought they were "really rather good and very professional", although he probably liked Liam a little more (what?!), while his other half said she thought DM was the "best thing she'd ever seen"!! Praise indeed...
Lady Gah-Gah

Postby Ultra1969 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:29 pm

Thanks Lady Gah-Gah for the nice comments. Yes it certainly was a considerable journey had to stop at motorway services on the way back and get a coffee has i was falling asleep "Behind the wheel" but it was worth it to see the band one final time on this tour and a rare Festival appearance.

Like you i would have loved to have them at the BBC 6 Music Festival in a relatively small venue for DM but unfortunately it wasn't to be. Your comments about Liam Gallagher are spot on, i think hes hilarious but his music is uninventive, traditional, middle of the road rock. Your kids comments about Martin were hilarious, have to agree, he looked like Uncle Fester with hair. I was talking to a couple who live on the Isle of Wight after the show and they though Dave was showing his age and looked a bit rough around the edges. Wonder if they will carrying on playing into their 70's like the Stones, i wouldn't mind but they might not be a pretty sight.
Ultra1969

Postby patbangkok » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:43 pm

I think our boys expected a few more devotees than were really there. Surely Dave wouldn't have expected a mainstream festival crowd to sing along to It's No Good!

I doubt they'd risk Glastonbury......but we can only hope
patbangkok

Postby Lady Gah-Gah » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:46 am

Ultra1969 wrote:Thanks Lady Gah-Gah for the nice comments. Yes it certainly was a considerable journey had to stop at motorway services on the way back and get a coffee has i was falling asleep "Behind the wheel" but it was worth it to see the band one final time on this tour and a rare Festival appearance.

Like you i would have loved to have them at the BBC 6 Music Festival in a relatively small venue for DM but unfortunately it wasn't to be. Your comments about Liam Gallagher are spot on, i think hes hilarious but his music is uninventive, traditional, middle of the road rock. Your kids comments about Martin were hilarious, have to agree, he looked like Uncle Fester with hair. I was talking to a couple who live on the Isle of Wight after the show and they though Dave was showing his age and looked a bit rough around the edges. Wonder if they will carrying on playing into their 70's like the Stones, i wouldn't mind but they might not be a pretty sight.

My pleasure. I love to hear stories of fan devotion! Especially when I am faced with people (on asking who I saw at the festival) saying "oh I used to like them in the 80s - are they still going?" Purlease!
I will keep going to see them as long as they keep going and no matter what they look like. We are all getting older! I just dream (in vain?) of one gig with songs they haven't played for years (or ever) and more verbal interaction with the crowd.
Lady Gah-Gah

Postby niklaw » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:20 pm

I think all the comments from those who went are totally fair. I, personally, had a great night! Met some lovely devotees, drank, danced, sang myself hoarse and got home on the last ferry. It did show thought that DM are a cult band and mainstream people don't really get them- well here in England at least. They don't play the early stuff that non-devotees know (apart from JCGE) and other than that most people only know ETS and PJ. Still hearing The Things You Said, Precious and Somebody was marvellous. I didn't miss IFY and BoAG. A shame nothing from Delta Machine. I'm just glad they are playing, recording and still going- Viva la Mode!
niklaw

Previous

Return to Global Spirit Tour