Australia and New Zealand Tours?

Discuss the Global Spirit Tour here.

Moderators: Pelicanito, steventoo, Admin

Postby BlaBlaGreg » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:45 am

readingjess wrote:But Fletcher doesn't hold much hope for the Delta Machine world tour heading to these parts. "I know we've got a lot of fans in Australia, but unfortunately we're not big enough to play there and not lose loads of money. It's a predicament."

There it is kids.Thanks Fletch,this ends deliberations on whether to go to the US to see Depeche or not! Sigh.

Bugger! If that's the bands' feeling towards visiting the Land of Aus, what hope do we have down the Southern end of Afreeka?

Is that a recent quote Jess? Do you have a link to it somewhere online at all?
modesa:web.fb.tw
BlaBlaGreg

Postby yolly22 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:03 am

BlaBlaGreg wrote:Bugger! If that's the bands' feeling towards visiting the Land of Aus, what hope do we have down the Southern end of Afreeka?

Is that a recent quote Jess? Do you have a link to it somewhere online at all?

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/depeche-modes-downsized-approach/story-fn93z1ud-1226612209554

Yolly to the rescue
yolly22
DMMB Veteran

Postby THETRUTHIS » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:58 am

Well they don't sell because they don't down here! If they announced a tour and did a deal with triple J to promote it then they would quickly build that fan base. There are a lot of Australian artists that site DM as an influence which again would be plugged through triple J. New order played here last year so this sounds like a pathetic excuse from Fletch. How many zillions did they gross on their last tour. They don't need to bring the full stage set. It could be simplified. there are also a variety of festivals that might work such as Future, Splendour or even the Bluesfest. I wish I worked for the band.
THETRUTHIS
DMMB Veteran

Postby soph » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:48 am

Wow too bad hey.....I really thought they would come back even if they just played Sydney or Melbourne
soph

Postby Azuki » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:26 pm

That's really disappointing to hear. :\ I'm a relatively new fan and I can't afford to fly overseas to see them...I don't know if I'll get a chance to ever see them live.
Azuki

Postby readingjess » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:16 pm

Yeah it sucks big time.Of course I understand they are getting older,they don't want to be doing the hard yards anymore,so of course they can play stadiums to maximise profits and cover as many fanbases as they can.
But c'mon,nobody actually comes out and says they're not coming because there's no money in it!Boo hoo guys,I'm sure there would be a way to subsidise coming to this part of the world,it couldn't be that big a hit to the pursestrings. He could at least have been more diplomatic and said they don't know if they can fit it in logistically.

To be honest I feel they are a little out of touch with things.I agree,if they did a little promo work here,did a small tour,they could build up a good following.It's a damn shame that they lost that momentum here in the 90's,I really think if they'd come here,even around Exciter,things could be different.No one has a clue what the potential is here for them,and I think that's part of the problem.They might not be number 1 here,but that doesn't mean they wouldn't sell concert tickets.Especially when you factor in the amount of people living in OZ from overseas,who would also go to see DM.

And I'll say this.It's not the size of the venues they'd play here.Because they can certainly entertain a room of people at promo events,and at venues like Pearl Theatre ,in Las Vegas.I really think it's the ego and the fact it's easier to lap the Northern Hemisphere twice than come here.And YES,I know it costs more money to come here than go from state to state across the US,but I think they can afford it.

Anyway,good luck to everyone in the southern hemisphere who is making the trek to see DM in another country.I hope to do it,as I can not miss the chance to see them for the first time ever,and maybe the only time.I'm just so disappointed to read this quote.In this instance I'd rather take the news with a spoonful of sugar.
I'll make your visions sing
readingjess

Postby BigLittleGirl » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:34 pm

readingjess wrote:.I'm just so disappointed to read this quote.In this instance I'd rather take the news with a spoonful of sugar.

Hm, does sound like offhanded and feeble pretext, lightly spiced with sneer, not a great feeling to read through, oh, well, let it, who cares anymore :cool:
Here comes the man, with the look in his eyes
BigLittleGirl

Postby BigLittleGirl » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:35 pm

I agree with Jess, it's a poor excuse, really ...
Here comes the man, with the look in his eyes
BigLittleGirl

Postby ukozcd » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Is doing a little promo work and a small tour worth it?

They are not just starting out, they have been in business over 30 years.

I would love if they did one or two shows in Australia but if it isnt viable then fans will just need to travel to seem DM.

But if they keep the same song formats and dont change it up, you wont miss anything.
ukozcd

Postby hollowpromises » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:28 pm

'I know, DMMB members are sick of complaining Australian fans'
hollowpromises

PreviousNext

Return to Global Spirit Tour